Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just curious what you are all doing for these? I'm between the Thule Force and Motion XT, as well as unsure about going XL or XXL. Any advice on your experience (good and bad) is appreciated. I'm looking for the maximum about of storage space without it catching my eye through the top of the windshield. And in case you're also considering REI has them marked 20% off for their Labor Day Sale.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Hey all,

Just curious what you are all doing for these? I'm between the Thule Force and Motion XT, as well as unsure about going XL or XXL. Any advice on your experience (good and bad) is appreciated. I'm looking for the maximum about of storage space without it catching my eye through the top of the windshield. And in case you're also considering REI has them marked 20% off for their Labor Day Sale.
The search feature is your friend......l

·
Registered
500 Posts
I just bought the Yakima SkyBox21 on Sunday from REI. It is mounted to Yakima 60" JetStream bars sitting on Yakima Timberline Mounts. The box is probably the biggest you can get dimension wise and it fits perfectly on the roof without overlapping the front window, nor does it hit the lift gate. I have the crossbar spread at its widest of ~42". If i had a kayak/SUP, I bet I can get at least one of them next to the box, or at least 2 bikes on the roof with the box on these bars. I chose Yakima because I have had other Yakima products in the past and like having a single key for everything.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Search isn't working and read a post from 8/21 that it hasn't been working since the day before that. Appreciate your "help" in pointing out to search.....! but I've tried that. If it's working for you and there is a link you can send along to help that would be great! Thanks
I searched Thule before I made my post and a ton of stuff came up, so unfortunately maybe it was just you?....maybe try again....
Subaruoutback.org has good info also....I did a lot of looking there..
The Thule Force XL is the larger one Subaru sells for the Ascent....The Thule
motion is a shiny plastic & the Force is more a matte plastic....if that makes a difference....
As far as I can tell , it’s just personal preference between Yakima & Thule.....But I am new to roof cargo boxes....
Amazon had them on sale yesterday too....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I searched Thule before I made my post and a ton of stuff came up, so unfortunately maybe it was just you?....maybe try again....
Subaruoutback.org has good info also....I did a lot of looking there..
The Thule Force XL is the larger one Subaru sells for the Ascent....The Thule
motion is a shiny plastic & the Force is more a matte plastic....if that makes a difference....
As far as I can tell , it’s just personal preference between Yakima & Thule.....But I am new to roof cargo boxes....
Amazon had them on sale yesterday too....
Thanks for the info. Not sure why it's coming up a blank white screen, though like I said, it has happened to others. I tried in both Sarafi and Chrome. Appreciate the info. I ended up going with the Tule Motion XT in the XL size, though may still move up the the larger XXL after reading @FourMoBro 's post about the Yakima 21. Better to have extra room vs. not enough right?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Not sure why it's coming up a blank white screen, though like I said, it has happened to others?
I've been getting the "blank screen search results" for about a week now...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey all,

We got ours through our dealer for 25% off (the Thule Extended - 17cu ft one) for $396.14 - https://parts.oregoncitysubaru.com/...rgo-Carrier-Extended/63630948/SOA567C030.html

We went camping with it this past weekend and it did great! We were being cautious and didn't overpack it, but still put a tent, air mattress, portable high chair, camping chairs, propane, some food, and other small things, with space to spare.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Thanks for the info. Not sure why it's coming up a blank white screen, though like I said, it has happened to others. I tried in both Sarafi and Chrome. Appreciate the info. I ended up going with the Tule Motion XT in the XL size, though may still move up the the larger XXL after reading @FourMoBro 's post about the Yakima 21. Better to have extra room vs. not enough right?
Very true......I would have purchased the Motion(shiny) but preferred the more matte finish of the Force ...The guy at REI said some people prefer the shiny plastic finish because it’s easier to put stickers on it... I don’t know if that’s true or not ....
my search seems to work fine.:tango_face_surprise

1 - 9 of 9 Posts