Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be doing a cross country trip in August. I am using the OEM roof racks. I have a Yakahama Rocket Box 12 and Thule cargo bag. I was wondering if I can fit both on the roof. Or do I have the option to extend the roof rack?

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
285 Posts
I'm of no help with your question, but I've been thinking about buying the Rocket Box 12, so I'd love a pic or 2 of it on your Ascent if you happen to have the chance.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The rocket box 12 that we used to own was skinnier than our current box. It would be tight on a Medium Yakima crossbar but possible. I don’t think if you have crossbars that sit in between the roof rails you would have a chance.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm of no help with your question, but I've been thinking about buying the Rocket Box 12, so I'd love a pic or 2 of it on your Ascent if you happen to have the chance.
I have the Rocketbox 15s. They don't make it anymore. I will post a photo of it in a few weeks. I lost my keys so I have to wait for Yakama to send it to me. Overall a great box and great company. Strongly recommend Yakama.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have the Rocketbox 15s. They don't make it anymore. I will post a photo of it in a few weeks. I lost my keys so I have to wait for Yakama to send it to me. Overall a great box and great company. Strongly recommend Yakama.
If you had the 12 like you originally stated, then maybe. If you have the 15, that box is as wide or wider than the one I posted.

·
Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
174 Posts
I will be doing a cross country trip in August. I am using the OEM roof racks. I have a Yakahama Rocket Box 12 and Thule cargo bag. I was wondering if I can fit both on the roof. Or do I have the option to extend the roof rack?
Not with the factory cross bars. Options are wider cross-bars or bigger cargo box. Or a hitch mounted cargo carrier in addition to the cargo box.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought the Yakima 60" bars and the size is perfect. I have pics posted on other threads. I took it camping this weekend with all kinds of family that needed me to bring extra gear for them and there was no way it was all fitting inside. Here's my setup with the Thule Canyon XT (with extension) roof basket, 2 Rocky Mounts bike racks on the roof, and a $155 Curt folding 2" hitch cargo basket on the back. Worked pretty darn well and might work for you as well. No issues with the exhaust/heat hitting the rear cargo at all, and the lift gate still opened with even with it loaded as you see here. Relatively cheap solution if you have a hitch receiver.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts