Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting a roof basket (thule canyon xt) can I use a touchless car wash with a roof basket on? Those "laser" car washes. Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes. They are not the greatest, aside from the usual "acidic" nature of their soaps, there is only so much dirt that the soap and pressure washing can remove.

Sometimes it's better to suck it up and hand-wash it. I can understand if it's winter and it's too cold to hand wash it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. They are not the greatest, aside from the usual "acidic" nature of their soaps, there is only so much dirt that the soap and pressure washing can remove.

Sometimes it's better to suck it up and hand-wash it. I can understand if it's winter and it's too cold to hand wash it.
Thanks for the info! I'll probably buy the roof basket now. And yeah i agrees with the hand wash, but gotta admit, I get too lazy most of time.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Thanks for the info! I'll probably buy the roof basket now. And yeah i agrees with the hand wash, but gotta admit, I get too lazy most of time.
I found a not so close laser wash and I love it. I have all the equipment and supplies to do it by hand but for $13 and a sparkling clean car, why would I spend the time? Now I have to find a closer wash that is just as good. The touchless that I occasionally used was not nearly as good as this last one.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have a roof top tent strapped to my load bars pretty much all year. Automatic washes, even the touchless ones, refuse to take my car - they might take yours because the material is solid (mine is clearly soft vinyl and still might get ripped by high pressure water).

So now I've got a dirty white Ascent. I've handwashed, and really need to do that more, but laziness wins. It'd be dirty even if I washed it regularly, as I drive on a short dirt road a few times every weekend. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

F.S.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a roof top tent strapped to my load bars pretty much all year. Automatic washes, even the touchless ones, refuse to take my car - they might take yours because the material is solid (mine is clearly soft vinyl and still might get ripped by high pressure water).

So now I've got a dirty white Ascent. I've handwashed, and really need to do that more, but laziness wins. It'd be dirty even if I washed it regularly, as I drive on a short dirt road a few times every weekend. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

F.S.
Thanks for that info!

·
Super Moderator
6,823 Posts
If it fits, it'll work fine. Since my roof basket has been on, that's what I've had to do as well. Just watch your clearances, and it'll be fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With the roof basket, do you guys have any issues driving in parking lot garages? Like the ones in the malls? Clearance wise.

·
Super Moderator
6,823 Posts
With the roof basket, do you guys have any issues driving in parking lot garages? Like the ones in the malls? Clearance wise.
Yes? No? Sometimes? ;)

The answer is "sometimes". There's a really low one I encountered where I wouldn't fit (and it would have been tight without the rack). And, there's a few where it doesn't fit when I have my spare tire mounted in the basket. As a matter of fact, if the garage door doesn't open 100% at my old job, my spare tire scrapes the tiniest bit.

You'd need to measure to the highest point on your Ascent, add the roof basket height, and an inch for hardware, and then 1-2" for safety. And then, if there's a sharp angle (such as transitioning from the down ramp into the garage at my old job), you've got to add even more for that.

Note this image, the vehicle on the left:

It's from this site, which explains it pretty well:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes? No? Sometimes? ;)

The answer is "sometimes". There's a really low one I encountered where I wouldn't fit (and it would have been tight without the rack). And, there's a few where it doesn't fit when I have my spare tire mounted in the basket. As a matter of fact, if the garage door doesn't open 100% at my old job, my spare tire scrapes the tiniest bit.

You'd need to measure to the highest point on your Ascent, add the roof basket height, and an inch for hardware, and then 1-2" for safety. And then, if there's a sharp angle (such as transitioning from the down ramp into the garage at my old job), you've got to add even more for that.

Note this image, the vehicle on the left:
View attachment 3962

It's from this site, which explains it pretty well:
Amazing information. Thank you so much!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts