Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Premier
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for suggestions to carry 2 10-foot kayaks (18kg each) and extra fuel (30-40L up to the max 80kg limit once bar and cargo basket are subtracted) for an extended summer trip, with one section that has very limited services (Trans Labrador Highway and Quebec route 389). We are towing a 16' Airstream so these need to go on the roof. I have Thule Evo bars. I am wondering about a basket with the kayaks flat one on top of the other. Or kayak racks (I have set of J-racks, likely switch to Thule Compass Kayak Rack) if I can secure the fuel inside the kayaks.

Thoughts appreciated! And I was going to convert to pounds and gallons, but the numbers get too big! And 1L of water (gas) is 1 kg ...

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Limited 2010 Subaru Legacy GT limited
846 Posts
I would account for the weight of the trailer tongue your gear...etc and make sure you aren't over payload on the ascent. Assuming you have already done that I searched but couldn't find any kayak mounting systems that didn't bolt directly to the roof rails. Any chance you could source a jerry can that fits nicely inside the kayak for travel? Otherwise you may need to look at an overlanding type of roof rack that allows mounting many types of accessories.

But of course weight may become an issue.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
4,500 Posts
I am looking for suggestions to carry 2 10-foot kayaks (18kg each) and extra fuel (30-40L up to the max 80kg limit once bar and cargo basket are subtracted) for an extended summer trip, with one section that has very limited services (Trans Labrador Highway and Quebec route 389). We are towing a 16' Airstream so these need to go on the roof. I have Thule Evo bars. I am wondering about a basket with the kayaks flat one on top of the other. Or kayak racks (I have set of J-racks, likely switch to Thule Compass Kayak Rack) if I can secure the fuel inside the kayaks.

Thoughts appreciated! And I was going to convert to pounds and gallons, but the numbers get too big! And 1L of water (gas) is 1 kg ...
dynamic load limits for the Ascent are a concern here. I would try and store the fuel inside.

·
Registered
846 Posts

This rack is 56 lbs alone, so I am not sure your plan of getting everything onto the roof is going to work out. Maybe a rear cargo carrier for when you park the camper and go off on adventures would work for your needs.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Premier
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Curious side note - roof load capacity is 176 pounds which equals 80 kg. That makes me think that the engineers specified in metric as people like round numbers, especially ending in 0 (I am a physician and years ago we studied thresholds that trigger orders for blood transfusions. The magic number was 10 g/dL and there was no reason or science behind this as the normal value is 13-15. So 10 was just a nice number and easy to remember. We did a large clinical trial and showed that a lower threshold of 7 was just as good; that is now the standard worldwide, saving countless units of blood for transfusion and many patients never get transfused at all where they would have been in the past).

So, thanks for your feedback - I always thought it was a bad idea to carry gas in a closed space due to explosion risk. The need to carry extra fuel is limited to one part of the trip, so maybe I could just carry it inside and ensure I have good air exchange. The Thule Evo bars weigh 3.6kg, the Compass Kayak rack is 9 kg and my 2 kayaks total 36 kg. That would leave about 31 kg or 30L of gas that I could carry up there. I will get a couple of 20L (5 gal) cans and test the fit in the kayaks.

·
Registered
846 Posts
That amount of weight should be fine inside the kayak and should be more than secure for any kayak rack, considering their weigh capacity compared to the kayak's weight. You might even consider making rigid covers for your kayaks, if they are sit inside, to lock your contents in them for added security while traveling.

I would agree with not carrying fuel in a passenger compartment, I believe there are even regulations against doing that.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Curious side note - roof load capacity is 176 pounds which equals 80 kg. That makes me think that the engineers specified in metric.
Perhaps more likely it was marketing that specified the design criterion of 80 kg and so the engineers designed to that spec (including appropriate margins and factoring in dynamic loads, etc.)

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would not carry gas inside the Ascent, except bringing a few gallons for a few miles from the gas station to the house. I think it is a danger and a few drips or slight leak will make quite a smell.

Thank you for your work with transfusions! That was a very important contribution.

I also believe that a lot of numbers for limits, etc. are rounded to easy to remember values.

Enjoy the trip.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Premier
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ordered extruded aluminum t-slot and connectors from Amazon to make a custom rack for the cans. I will either mount it on the rear bumper of the trailer, or on the roof racks; still undecided. The trailer bumper may have the benefit of allowing me to adjust the tongue weight if there is water in the trailers fresh water tanks. I will post a followup when I get the parts and complete it.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Premier
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The t-slot aluminum was partially completed but I think the connectors need to be drilled through for strength. I found the this rack on Amazon (MaxxHaul 70108 49" x 22-1/2" Aluminum Cargo Carrier, Cargo Baskets - Amazon Canada). The draw bar for the hitch weighs about 5.2kg and the box is 6 kg. I drilled the longitudinal tube and used the clamps from a Thule box that I have. I bought Thule Compass Kayak rack (8 kg) and it holds my 2 Pelican 10 foot kayaks (16 kg each) on the other half of the roof. The bars are 3.6 kg so that leaves about 30 kg (30L) for my gas cans to be within the 80kg total. I will probably just have them full for the section of the trip where gas stations are scarce, and the speed on that section will likely be 80km/h max so I think I can push the load limit a few kg.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts