Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Day 2 driving around beaches on North Padre Island, TX. Got a little more aggressive today and went up into the soft stuff. We're not prepped for getting towed, so even my 'aggressive' was very safe, keeping up momentum and not stopping in the thick. We didn't air-down.

Regular Drive mode was very controlled with no wheel spin, even when rolling into the raised sand between ruts (probably 6" or so deep). Did not try X-mode. Thick sand felt like driving in deep snow, except more fluff and less snowcone, if that conjures up an image. We passed a couple cars that were pretty stuck, and they were surrounded by help.

After rolling past the first few miles of the holiday weekend crowds, we found more open areas and were able to drive open stretches on wet packed sand, dodging the water and sometimes not dodging.

Following the fun, we took our Ascent to a touchless car wash and got some good jets on the sides and bottom.

This was on the south end of North Padre Island, in the National Park beach areas. 2019 Ascent Touring with stock 20" wheels, Falken Wildpeak A/T Trails, no mods.

F.S.

Vehicle Car Sport utility vehicle Mitsubishi pajero Crossover suv

P.S. - Don't do this or get near any water without checking the footing! Cars don't float... for long!

·
Super Moderator
2,708 Posts
Sounds like a lot of fun. I can’t wait to get back on the sand.
Just curious, did you check the firmness of the sand near the water before driving so close? It’s so random around here. The wet stuff can be really firm or quicksand.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
... Just curious, did you check the firmness of the sand near the water before driving so close? It’s so random around here. The wet stuff can be really firm or quicksand.
ABSOLUTELY. And thanks, I added a caution below the photo. We were all around the car, and the sand was solid. On the 6 mile drive along the beach, the last mile was sparse of other cars, and we drove on the wet side (some of the fluff had me a little uneasy), and it was packed and un-moving. This photo was much less driving down into surf and much more parking and waiting for the highest reaching wave before snapping the photo.

It just looks a little out there 😅

T.P.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts