Subaru Ascent Forum banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
In his defense, my co-admin friends in the Facebook group tell everyone I am a bot.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I responded once, not four times - you quoted me a bunch of times, from the same singular reply. I'll remind you of the forum rules you agreed to. I'd hope you'll tone down your passive aggressive threats and comments, and get back to the issue at hand.
He can't help it...he's a lawyer. I have found that any sentence that leads with "I'm an attorney" is a bad start. Being an attorney has nothing to do with anything in all of this chatter, except someone who says that thinks it will put some fear of God in the opposite party (or hopefully create a level of undeserved respect). I have many attorney friends (and doctors and engineers and teachers and so on) and none of them lead off with their position. By the way, I'm an engineer...just saying.

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
Let's also not pick on him, please.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
As many of you on this forum may know, I am not on auto with class action lawsuits. there has been an interesting development in a case involving rodents eating soy based wire insulation. IMO, the difference here for Honda is that they obviously knew about the problem in which rodents were attracted to the coating but they suggested AND implemented a preventative measure, according to the plaintiffs attorney.
"Smith says Honda installs pre-wrapped knock sensor harnesses on certain models, proving the carmaker knows there’s a problem."

I am not an attorney, but if I were on a jury hearing this case, this new evidence, would for me, make a difference. If the case becomes an active exposure for Honda, you can be sure that all auto manufacturers will make the necessary adjustments. It remains a hard legal climb, so I wouldn't place any bets one way or another. For those Ascent owners who have had problems, you might look into this tape and report back to the forum on how well it works (wear gloves and don't squeak).

Honda sells this chili pepper-infused tape — decorated with images of dead rats — to use deter rodents from chewing on wires under the hood of its vehicles. Rodent Tape

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Premium Blue Abyss
325 Posts
As many of you on this forum may know, I am not on auto with class action lawsuits. there has been an interesting development in a case involving rodents eating soy based wire insulation. IMO, the difference here for Honda is that they obviously knew about the problem in which rodents were attracted to the coating but they suggested AND implemented a preventative measure, according to the plaintiffs attorney.
"Smith says Honda installs pre-wrapped knock sensor harnesses on certain models, proving the carmaker knows there’s a problem."

I am not an attorney, but if I were on a jury hearing this case, this new evidence, would for me, make a difference. If the case becomes an active exposure for Honda, you can be sure that all auto manufacturers will make the necessary adjustments. It remains a hard legal climb, so I wouldn't place any bets one way or another. For those Ascent owners who have had problems, you might look into this tape and report back to the forum on how well it works (wear gloves and don't squeak).

View attachment 12727 Honda sells this chili pepper-infused tape — decorated with images of dead rats — to use deter rodents from chewing on wires under the hood of its vehicles. Rodent Tape

So, what wires would I need to wrap? and has anyone licked this stuff to see how spicy it is?

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
So, what wires would I need to wrap? and has anyone licked this stuff to see how spicy it is?
not sure, but since wrapping all wires would be a daunting task; you might consider this option to implement periodically.

fine print: when I go out to eat certain foods and I am asked how spicy hot I want my food; I tend to respond with low to medium. Others may enjoy the spicy heat. For all I know there may be mice out there that will greatly appreciate dining and nesting in a spicy environment. :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would think the rats would be well attuned to eating spicy tape due to the propensity of spicy food leftovers in garbage. They can adapt to almost everything else. Hard to believe they wouldn't solider through capsaicin tape.

·
Registered
325 Posts
not sure, but since wrapping all wires would be a daunting task; you might consider this option to implement periodically.

fine print: when I go out to eat certain foods and I am asked how spicy hot I want my food; I tend to respond with low to medium. Others may enjoy the spicy heat. For all I know there may be mice out there that will greatly appreciate dining and nesting in a spicy environment. :)
We are employing the local feral cat to patrol our vehicle, keeps her warm in winter and slightly less hot in summer :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
does she get a uniform?
View attachment 12755
I might get her a collar that has Security Patrol written on it. I think I'd loose a limb trying to get a jacket on her. I can pat her ONLY if I'm putting food in her bowl.. I've also seen her donkey kick a cat twice her size. So I think she might be undercover black ops :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
My honeymoon with my newly purchased (6 days ago) Subaru Ascent came to a screeching halt when everything on my dash was in warning mode.
Nothing was working from my power steering to my braking system . . . multiple lights were aglow and warning me to contact my dealer for service.
Called Subaru emergency road side service and someone was out within the hour to tow my car to the closest dearer.
Not the dealer who I had just given a car load of cash $$$$$$ to pay for my 2019 Subaru Ascent.
Service department called me the following morning and my car could not be repaired and the part had to be ordered. Rodents had gotten into the engine and had eaten some critical wiring.The car was picked up on Thursday and would not be ready until Tuesday! Yes, they gave me a loaner car but NO this repair was not covered by any warranty or service contract and would cost me over $200 for repairs! (Remember I have had this car less than a week!) Also discovered that the dealer I bought the car from, Fitzgerald Subaru, Clearwater, Florida had NOT done any of the recall work while the car had been sitting on their lot waiting for this victim to buy it!
Meanwhile the service department at a neighboring Subaru dealership (Bert Smith in St. Petersburg, FL) was very accommodating and showed me the photos of the rodent eaten housing and totally missing wires :-( they were also very happy to complete the needed recall work.
Just wondering if any other owners have had their wires eaten by rodents, or is this just another wonderful aspect of living in Florida?
Just found this thread after taking our car in for an identical issue only I was just quoted $1,650 plus tax from Eastside Subaru in Kirkland, WA! Is this really not covered by Subaru's 10 year bumper-to-bumper warranty? Is this something that Subaru dealers say to get out of paying for warranty repairs? Of course, I have no proof if what they say is true or not. Very frustrating.

I did read some mentions of a class action lawsuit against Subaru for this issue. Does anyone have any experience with this or with getting your auto or home insurance to pay some of it? Rodent damage, class action

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,231 Posts
Why would damage from some external factor be covered under a vehicle warranty? Warranties cover manufacturing defects and premature failures of parts and subsystems. This is honestly more of a Comprehensive insurance claim situation.

BTW, Subaru's OEM warranty is 3/36, not ten year. And the tasty wiring isn't limited to one vehicle manufacturer. It's a common issue. Rodents chew because they can and will try to turn almost anything into food.

And class action suits don't benefit consumers who if there is a "win" get a buck-two-ninety eight" and a thank you. from the lawyers who get most of the money.

Reactions: packout

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Just found this thread after taking our car in for an identical issue only I was just quoted $1,650 plus tax from Eastside Subaru in Kirkland, WA! Is this really not covered by Subaru's 10 year bumper-to-bumper warranty? Is this something that Subaru dealers say to get out of paying for warranty repairs? Of course, I have no proof if what they say is true or not. Very frustrating.

I did read some mentions of a class action lawsuit against Subaru for this issue. Does anyone have any experience with this or with getting your auto or home insurance to pay some of it? Rodent damage, class action
Are you serious? No manufacturer is responsible for the conditions you place your vehicle in. If those conditions destroy parts of the vehicle, in what universe would this be a manufacturer defect. Where did you learn that Subaru has a 10 yr bumper to bumper. No such thing exists. Maybe the same place that you determined they should be responsible for your rodent damage. The rodent damage should be very easy to confirm. You just need to make the effort (it is your vehicle). I suggest your read up on class action suits, motivations for same, how they win or loose, and who makes how much in them.

don't confuse my critique with a lack of empathy for what occurred. Anyone including myself would be very frustrated with experiencing rodent damage. The repair is time consuming and expensive. BTW, it can repeat itself after a repair if the same environmental conditions exits. There is no warranty privilege on the repair from future rodent damage.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts