Subaru Ascent Forum banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,231 Posts
My 2020 Ascent Touring just got the same diagnosis with an $800 + estimate. Has anyone got warranty coverage?
Warranty coverage for something that's damaged from external influences isn't likely going to pass muster. Comprehensive on insurance may cover it less your deductible, however.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,199 Posts
There are also ultrasonic and strobe light rodent deterrents. I used several large strobes in my attic to evict squirrels before sealing the holes they made to get in. Not vouching for any of these battery operated devices but I don't know if the chemical or herbal remedies won't cause other under hood materials to be damaged or degraded.

BTW, only steel will prevent a rodent from going where it wants to go. My previous house had concrete board siding and a rat gnawed through that, tyvek, plywood, fir 2x8 and fiberglass insulation to get into the crawl space.

·
Super Moderator
2,589 Posts
Asking for a friend... do skinks eat wires?
There might be a small lizard somewhere in an (my) Ascent. Actually there’s no might..I moved some landscape stones and saw it run into the folded down back seat. My wife refuses to drive it until the lizard is removed 😂

·
Registered
94 Posts
My son and wife had their Honda's wires eaten twice by rats in L.A. $1,000 in repairs. Common problem there too. If anyone has had rats in the engine bay, make sure to clean the engine and bay with the engine cleaner sprays (at a self-service car wash or at home). Then take it to a full service car wash and get underbody spray. You want to get the rat smell out of there so your engine bay isn't scent-marked which can attract new visitors.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a similar problem with mice just recently. They chewed thru the vapor lines of the fuel tank, had to replace the tank for $2200. Fortunately insurance paid all except the deductible. I just ordered peppermint spray, hope it works!

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Premium Blue Abyss
325 Posts
Just like to say, dont bother with ultrasonics they do nothing at all. Like the ones for keeping cats off your lawn, they do nothing. Lived in a house that had mice and rats in the garage, used the ultrasonics and they happily pooped on the devices. I'd try the peppermint spray, that I know repels them but you have to respray it depending on how you use your Ascent.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My honeymoon with my newly purchased (6 days ago) Subaru Ascent came to a screeching halt when everything on my dash was in warning mode.
Nothing was working from my power steering to my braking system . . . multiple lights were aglow and warning me to contact my dealer for service.
Called Subaru emergency road side service and someone was out within the hour to tow my car to the closest dearer.
Not the dealer who I had just given a car load of cash $$$$$$ to pay for my 2019 Subaru Ascent.
Service department called me the following morning and my car could not be repaired and the part had to be ordered. Rodents had gotten into the engine and had eaten some critical wiring.The car was picked up on Thursday and would not be ready until Tuesday! Yes, they gave me a loaner car but NO this repair was not covered by any warranty or service contract and would cost me over $200 for repairs! (Remember I have had this car less than a week!) Also discovered that the dealer I bought the car from, Fitzgerald Subaru, Clearwater, Florida had NOT done any of the recall work while the car had been sitting on their lot waiting for this victim to buy it!
Meanwhile the service department at a neighboring Subaru dealership (Bert Smith in St. Petersburg, FL) was very accommodating and showed me the photos of the rodent eaten housing and totally missing wires :-( they were also very happy to complete the needed recall work.
Just wondering if any other owners have had their wires eaten by rodents, or is this just another wonderful aspect of living in Florida?
I have a 2020 Ascent Touring Model. I AM A RETIRED ATTORNEY WHO HAS EXPERINECE DEALING WITH WARRANTIES FOR AN INTRNATIONAL CORPORATION. I was never warned when I bought this vehicle in July 2020, that this was a potential problem. My car lurched to a stop and multiple warning lights lit up. It would drive but very slow like the transmission was broken. I have an added security service agreement so it was towed to the dealership I purchased it from about 45 miles away. After a few days I was told that rodents had eaten some of the now soy based wires in my new car and my warranties would not cover it. I have three warranties: The manufacturer's 3 year/36,000 warranty, the drive train warranty, and the Added Security Service Agreement. I called and complained to Subaru Customer Service (800) 782-2783 and after getting the same response that the damage caused by rodents is an "outside Influence" and therefor not covered under any of the warranties my complaint was elevated to the next level of customer service. The second level customer service person stated that due to the fact that I had purchased three Subaru vehicles that Subaru would pay my deductible for the rodent damage which was $489.00. This was paid and i got my car back on January 21, 2021. The service manager at the dealer told me to try peppermint oil so I applied this to the areas impacted on my car. I looked on line and saw a device available to discourage rodents. they cost about $25.00 so I bought and installed it. I also parked my car in the garage more and checked on it almost every day by lifting the hood. Two months later, on March 31, 2021 the same thing happened. My car was towed again and the dealer took over a week to even look at it. I called Subaru Customer Service again to start a new complaint. This time the estimate is about $1,300 and may be more if there has been damage to the transmission. I have gone around and around with Subaru Customer Service and my complaint has now been elevated to the third level of customer service. There position has remained the same, that the rodent damage is an "outside influence" not covered by any warranty. This is the question I posed. I am a 68 year old man with a 70 year old handicapped wife. I have an 11 year old adopted son who is on the Autistic Spectrum. Even if I park my car in my garage any time I am home to protect it from rodents if I go anywhere (rodents are everywhere) my family could be stranded anywhere. "Is Subaru going to do anything to make my car safe?" I asked for a yes or no answer. I got no answer, so I called. They will not give me a yes or no answer! In fact. they will not even respond to me in writing anymore because I told them I was going to take their answers and submit them with my complaints to the Federal and State Regulators. I recommend that all of you with similar problems should ask Subaru the same question i did. "What is Subaru going to do to make my car safe?" If they don't do anything then submit complaints the the Federal Trade Commission, who regulates warranties, and the NHTSA, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, who can require a recall. In sum, you should say you were ever warned of this problem, that is is not an "outside influence" because the defect is that the soy based wiring "attracts rodents", it could be easily fixed in those areas that are accessible to rodents the wires are replaced with the same wiring that did not attract rodents before, and you believe your vehicle is unsafe. One more thing. Subaru even told me "SOA (Subaru of America) would not recommend making any modifications or alterations to your vehicle." So, Subaru does not even want you to try to fix the problem Subaru created. If you do make unauthorized modifications Subaru could invalidate your warranties. Please everyone act. It is not only you. Please keep us all informed of what you are doing and what your experiences are on this forum.

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
Your opinion not withstanding, @Arther , the fact is, this is a very common problem across brands, and not a Subaru problem. You can find hacks and solutions in many car forums for many brands, that may help prevent it. But, alas, if you buy a new car, regardless of brand, and you have rodent problems, you can expect the same.

The most common suggestion is mothballs and cat toy balls filled with cloth soaked in mint extract, well secured in safe places (where they won't fall out or melt on turbo or engine).

·
Registered
8 Posts
There are also ultrasonic and strobe light rodent deterrents. I used several large strobes in my attic to evict squirrels before sealing the holes they made to get in. Not vouching for any of these battery operated devices but I don't know if the chemical or herbal remedies won't cause other under hood materials to be damaged or degraded.

BTW, only steel will prevent a rodent from going where it wants to go. My previous house had concrete board siding and a rat gnawed through that, tyvek, plywood, fir 2x8 and fiberglass insulation to get into the crawl space.
Your opinion not withstanding, @Arther , the fact is, this is a very common problem across brands, and not a Subaru problem. You can find hacks and solutions in many car forums for many brands, that may help prevent it. But, alas, if you buy a new car, regardless of brand, and you have rodent problems, you can expect the same.

View attachment 12101

The most common suggestion is mothballs and cat toy balls filled with cloth soaked in mint extract, well secured in safe places (where they won't fall out or melt on turbo or engine).

View attachment 12101

Than

View attachment 12101

Thank you Robert for acknowledging there is a problem industry wide. I aware of the many, many complaints and class action lawsuits. But I limited my comments to Ascents since this is the Ascents Forum. The problem is both the soy based wiring but more the accessible location of the wiring. Not all cars or even Subarus have the problem. I have a 2020 Impreza that is a stick shift so it does not have the automatic transmission wiring hanging down almost to the ground like my Ascent does. As such even though I park it outside most the time

I am also glad you listed many possible solutions. The question is if there are such simple inexpensive solutions to a problem customers did not create "WHY DOESN'T SUBARU FIX IT FOR US SO OUR CARS ARE DEPENDABLE?"

Finally, I have a question for you and the other Forum Administrator who seems to downplay my safety concerns. Has Subaru authorized your Ascent Forum"? Are you being paid or reimbursed anything to administer this site? I see that you are a Customer Service representative by career. I think all us customers would like to know. Do you even own an Ascent?

·
Registered
8 Posts

[/URL]

Thanks for sugggestion. I bought these and they did not work. My Ascent still is not safe or dependable. It broke down in two months.
Than

Thank you Robert for acknowledging there is a problem industry wide. I aware of the many, many complaints and class action lawsuits. But I limited my comments to Ascents since this is the Ascents Forum. The problem is both the soy based wiring but more the accessible location of the wiring. Not all cars or even Subarus have the problem. I have a 2020 Impreza that is a stick shift so it does not have the automatic transmission wiring hanging down almost to the ground like my Ascent does. As such even though I park it outside most the time

I am also glad you listed many possible solutions. The question is if there are such simple inexpensive solutions to a problem customers did not create "WHY DOESN'T SUBARU FIX IT FOR US SO OUR CARS ARE DEPENDABLE?"

Finally, I have a question for you and the other Forum Administrator who seems to downplay my safety concerns. Has Subaru authorized your Ascent Forum"? Are you being paid or reimbursed anything to administer this site? I see that you are a Customer Service representative by career. I think all us customers would like to know. Do you even own an Ascent?
Frankly Robert since you responded four times with the same response, Are you a BOT?

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
@Arther I am not sure why, in one sentence, you thank me, and in another, you try to denigrate me and post veiled threats to me, while knowing absolutely nothing about me. I'm saddened by that, but, nonetheless, I'll answer as best I can.

No, I am not a Customer Service representative. I am an Information Systems Engineer, DBA and programmer, with a chunk of insurance and regulatory knowledge to satisfy those roles, who's formerly done commercial and residential construction, worked as a cook and a server at various restaurants, and a few other things, over the last four decades. I have an expertise on the Ascent, because I have spent two years of my own personal time, pre-release, and a lot of my own personal time, post release. EVERYTHING I do here is on my own time and my own dime - I don't work for Subaru, VerticalScope, or this forum.

This is me...

And, yes, Subaru knows all about what I do (and yes, I own an Ascent - here it is)...

Your CVT wiring harness does not hang near the ground, and, while it's got more wires than an Impreza stick, both still have the big harnesses that do everything else.

I can't and won't speak to why Subaru doesn't fix something that's not broken. I don't work for them. There's very very few complaints of wires being eaten in Subarus, and that's a problem that predates soy based wiring, in models from almost every company of every cost.

I offered you solutions. I hope they help. If I can think of anything else, I will let you know.

·
Registered
325 Posts
If you took the time you could very easily look up that Robert does have an Ascent and is modifying it for off-road stuff.
The rodent thing, in my opinion needs to be tackled at the manufacturing level and changed to a different product OR something added to it to stop the chew. And yes it is something I knew about as have known others (not Subaru owners) had it happen to their own cars when parked outside.

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
Frankly Robert since you responded four times with the same response, Are you a BOT?
I responded once, not four times - you quoted me a bunch of times, from the same singular reply. I'll remind you of the forum rules you agreed to. I'd hope you'll tone down your passive aggressive threats and comments, and get back to the issue at hand.

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
If you took the time you could very easily look up that Robert does have an Ascent and is modifying it for off-road stuff.
The rodent thing, in my opinion needs to be tackled at the manufacturing level and changed to a different product OR something added to it to stop the chew. And yes it is something I knew about as have known others (not Subaru owners) had it happen to their own cars when parked outside.
Funny thing is, many car manufacturers use the same companies to make their wires... like how Toyota and Subaru use Denso a lot, for things. You'd think, by now, they'd all have figured out how to make something not as appetizing. But, this problem persists across luxury brands and non-luxury brands alike, so, I guess it's not a simple issue to fix. 😥

·
Registered
325 Posts
Funny thing is, many car manufacturers use the same companies to make their wires... like how Toyota and Subaru use Denso a lot, for things. You'd think, by now, they'd all have figured out how to make something not as appetizing. But, this problem persists across luxury brands and non-luxury brands alike, so, I guess it's not a simple issue to fix. 😥
I think Subaru just needs to sell every Ascent with a trained cat. Might solve the problem. Or rat terrier dogs might work too. Since Subaru banks on the love of dogs.

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
I think Subaru just needs to sell every Ascent with a trained cat. Might solve the problem. Or rat terrier dogs might work too. Since Subaru banks on the love of dogs.
LOL! My cat would play with the rodents. He loves other creatures. He even tries playing with flies, then comes crying to me when they break and stop playing. 🤣 I definitely hope Subaru trains their better!!!

Here's Peanut and his friend Carson.

·
Administrator
828 Posts
@Arther ,

Like Robert and the other staff members here on the forum. We are all volunteers who get paid in nothing more than internet high fives.....

The frequency of which vary.

I am an Admin on two other Subaru forums, and Moderator on another two as well...

All receiving the same pay scale I disclosed above.

C.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
@Arther ,

Like Robert and the other staff members here on the forum. We are all volunteers who get paid in nothing more than internet high fives.....

The frequency of which vary.

I am an Admin on two other Subaru forums, and Moderator on another two as well...

All receiving the same pay scale I disclosed above.

C.
I for one vote to double your pay!!

41 - 60 of 79 Posts