Subaru Ascent Forum banner
21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,231 Posts
Or to slam them return the vehicle and buy from another Subaru dealership! Why wouldn’t they fix the vehicle for warranty- they want you to return!
It's not something that any vehicle manufacturer would fix under warranty, quite frankly. The damage was caused by something external to the vehicle, not by defect or premature wear, etc. Warranties do not cover things like this.

Reactions: Mywrb13wrx

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Luckily it was easily repaired but had to wait 4 days for the part. My car is not in a garage and fruit rats are a real problem in Florida ☹
Technician suggested that I buy Irish Spring bar soap, put it in baggies, punch holes in the baggies and put them under the hood. Stopped for soap on my way home! Will keep you posted!

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Subaru should not have to repair these wires under warranty because it is not a manufacturing defect. The physical environment an owner parks their vehicle in can vary and Subaru has no control over this environment. If your dog comes up to the car and scratches it would Subaru be responsible? I agree the recall work should have been completed prior to handing over the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Had some engine wires eaten by mice on a new Lexus. The wires were repaired at my cost. It never happened again in 10 years parking the car in the same spot in my garage. Maybe they prefer nice fresh insulation.

About the same time mice chose to build a nest in the heater in my Explorer. I found out about it when I turned it on. Cleaning out the nest and shredded mice was a job.

Also around that same time, they built a nest in the tail section of my moto.

Where's the Pied Piper when you need him?

Those three rodent related vehicle issues, all happening around the same time 10 years ago, are the only ones we've ever experienced, and we're in our mid 60s.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My honeymoon with my newly purchased (6 days ago) Subaru Ascent came to a screeching halt when everything on my dash was in warning mode.
Nothing was working from my power steering to my braking system . . . multiple lights were aglow and warning me to contact my dealer for service.
Rodents had gotten into the engine and had eaten some critical wiring. [SNIP]Meanwhile the service department at a neighboring Subaru dealership (Bert Smith in St. Petersburg, FL) was very accommodating and showed me the photos of the rodent eaten housing and totally missing wires :-( they were also very happy to complete the needed recall work.
Just wondering if any other owners have had their wires eaten by rodents, or is this just another wonderful aspect of living in Florida?
NO in Florida but, I had rodents eat the door window seals off my Chevrolet truck. It was not covered by warranty and they had to replace it because the electric window motor got wet and shorted. Those are some hungry critters out there. BTW: This is America and salesmen, once they get their sale concluded want nothing to do with the vehicle. You have to call service and that is another issue. You never know if they are going to fix it right or not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Subaru should not have to repair these wires under warranty because it is not a manufacturing defect. The physical environment an owner parks their vehicle in can vary and Subaru has no control over this environment. If your dog comes up to the car and scratches it would Subaru be responsible? I agree the recall work should have been completed prior to handing over the vehicle.
Thanks, any company who is looking out for the environment should be applauded. However, a little more research (ask any farmer) and they would have discovered that when you cover electrical wires with a soy based product they are subject to rodent damage. Should they be responsible for that error . . .yes they should!

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Thanks, any company who is looking out for the environment should be applauded. However, a little more research (ask any farmer) and they would have discovered that when you cover electrical wires with a soy based product they are subject to rodent damage. Should they be responsible for that error . . .yes they should!
blame the politicians and those environmentalists who do not pay attention to unintended consequences. Now with soy based wiring insulation, there is a larger impact on the environment. Same with reusable cloth bags for supermarkets.

·
Registered
731 Posts
blame the politicians and those environmentalists who do not pay attention to unintended consequences. Now with soy based wiring insulation, there is a larger impact on the environment. Same with reusable cloth bags for supermarkets.
Amen.
Same with EVs - some of the worst manufacturing methods required and continued operation as far as environmental impact.
And wind turbines, lol - huge negative environmental impacts. Energy is energy. Nothing is free in this world and few things are truly “green.”
To make energy, you are taking it from something.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Amen.
Same with EVs - some of the worst manufacturing methods required and continued operation as far as environmental impact.
And wind turbines, lol - huge negative environmental impacts. Energy is energy. Nothing is free in this world and few things are truly “green.”
To make energy, you are taking it from something.
This is absolute FUD from the anti EV crowd. They only point to what battery manufacturing takes but omit the batteries are close to completely recyclable at the end of their life and that with natural gas(not coal) powering most electric generation these days the CO2 from electric generation for EVs is way less than that of an ICE. They also omit that people that choose EVs for environmental concerns also generally pay a little more for 'green' energy(wind and solar).

·
Registered
731 Posts
This is absolute FUD from the anti EV crowd. They only point to what battery manufacturing takes but omit they are close to completely recyclable at the end of their life and that with natural gas(not coal) powering most electric generation these days the CO2 is way less than that of an ICE.
”Close”

Show me. Show me this green EV utopia. From manufacturing to infrastructure to maintenance of said utopia.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
And in order to capture that energy, to actually use it, we must manufacture stuff that pulls energy and resources, at scale, from... thin air?
Obivously. So chose your poison. Which method of energy harvesting/extraction/untilizaton has the least impact over the long haul?

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
This is absolute FUD from the anti EV crowd. They only point to what battery manufacturing takes but omit the batteries are close to completely recyclable at the end of their life and that with natural gas(not coal) powering most electric generation these days the CO2 from electric generation for EVs is way less than that of an ICE. They also omit that people that choose EVs for environmental concerns also generally pay a little more for 'green' energy(wind and solar).
with the exception of the significant public subsidies.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,231 Posts
when you cover electrical wires with a soy based product they are subject to rodent damage
Rodents love to chew on regular plastic, too...nothing new about this. It's just an unfortunate circumstance.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts