Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a limited with the Harmon Kardon sound system. Not too happy with the sound. The dealership told me that they could not install the Rockford Fosgate upgrade on my car? Anybody know if that is true?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I have a limited with the Harmon Kardon sound system. Not too happy with the sound. The dealership told me that they could not install the Rockford Fosgate upgrade on my car? Anybody know if that is true?
The Harman Kardon sound system is considerably better than the Rockford Fosgate upgrade and the two are not compatible so your dealer is telling you the truth. It's conceivable that someone other than the dealer could replace it, but if you're not happy with the Harman Kardon sound system then it's very doubtful you'll be happy with the Rockford Fosgate upgrade.

To get better sound, you'll need to go aftermarket, and because you can't replace the infotainment head unit, that is not going to be easy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you are not a musician or audiophile you are not going to understand. The system is harsh sounding. The imaging and clarity are average at best. This is not in the same ballpark as other automakers in this price range. The Bose System on my Murano sounded MUCH better. I heard it immediately when I first demoed the car, but I thought I could upgrade it. Hopefully better speakers will help. Subaru needs to up their game in this department. Just my opinion, but I have seen this comment come up numerous times in reviews.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Harman Kardon sound system is considerably better than the Rockford Fosgate upgrade and the two are not compatible so your dealer is telling you the truth. It's conceivable that someone other than the dealer could replace it, but if you're not happy with the Harman Kardon sound system then it's very doubtful you'll be happy with the Rockford Fosgate upgrade.

To get better sound, you'll need to go aftermarket, and because you can't replace the infotainment head unit, that is not going to be easy.
I stopped by Best Buy store went inside spoke with the Audio Department.Tget informed me that I could purchase the Rockford Fosgate Punch & Kickerbox they'll install it or order the Memphis audio System instead. I have a 2020 Forrester Sport fully loaded & that HK system Sucks, it's Ridiculously pathetic 440 watt ? My Kenwood in my Work truck is loader, with Superior Premium Sounds. These HK guys wake up give us the Sound Quality instead of just your "HK" name..a Joke

·
Registered
529 Posts
Don't go with Best Buy. Get some quality aftermarket speakers, amp, and a DSP. Make sure whoever installs the speakers does proper dampening on the doors. That makes a big difference in the sound. You could go to Madasound and buy individual drivers and just run them off an amp with a DSP. I bet the cost would be not substantially more than what Best Buy would sell you.

·
Registered
717 Posts
There’s already some excellent threads and info in the tech sections of the forum on this subject.
HK systems sucks balls and yes, the RF system sounds better with an aftermarket sub. Been there done that. You’re kinda hosed with the stock HK system. It’s why I specifically didn’t buy it and went with the RF upgrade + sub. Way less harsh. Dig into the tech threads on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts