Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Subaru Ascent Onyx
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2022 Ascent Onyx with the Rockford Fosgate audio upgrade. I'm looking at what I believe is the current version and it appears there's a dedicated subwoofer port.

Audio equipment Flash photography Gadget Electronic instrument Font

So if I'm seeing that correctly I'm thinking it's using a custom plug and that prompts two questions.

1. Where can, or can I even, I get the appropriate harness for that?
  2. Finding it difficult to discover specifics about this little guy, would it be sufficient to drive a little JL Audio MicroSub?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,600 Posts
That port may or may not be operable in the amp's firmware for the Subaru version. I could swear this has been discussed previously, but I was unable to zero in on it.

·
Registered
2022 Subaru Ascent Onyx
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I couldn't find anything either. I see there's also a USB port which I'm guessing is used to flash firmware to the device.

·
Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
552 Posts
Another user reached out to RF about this (I think it was @rockthebeef) and they said the sub terminals are not active.

·
Registered
2022 Subaru Ascent Onyx
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I'll give them a call this week too then. I'm sure the only reason it's disabled is down to firmware based on what I read on the Mitsubishi forums.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Well, I'll give them a call this week too then. I'm sure the only reason it's disabled is down to firmware based on what I read on the Mitsubishi forums.
Interesting... Let us know if you find anything out. I wonder if another firmware would have any noticeble effects on the supposed DSP applied to rest of the speakers. I suspect the vehicle-specific DSP is just time alignment, but that's just a guess.

·
Registered
2022 Subaru Ascent Onyx
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Okay, talked to a fellow named "Forrest" over there at their technical support. When pressed about the subwoofer port on the amp he claimed that, "the hardware is not there". I could tell he was getting frustrated with me so I didn't push forward, but taken at face value that suggests the necessary internal connections to that port are made, or not made, depending on the OEM's wishes.

I honestly find that a little hard to believe. Because why would you bother to include the plug on the front? Unless the tool for some plastic molding was cheaper just to include it all the time. I imagine this Amp is a commodity part which means it would be produced in high volume making the margins acceptable. In which case, a design variation which renders this port non-functional seems weird to me, but I don't have any inside knowledge of what they're doing over there. I mean, software variations, sure, but hardware variations eat into margins.

I think I'm going to do some additional probing of the terminals with the multimeter and see if there's any activity. To confirm whether they're functional or not at least.

At any rate, seems like the easiest route is to get an amplified sub and wire that in.

For whatever it ends up being worth; I emailed Subaru of American a request to explain the use of this, but I'm thinking I'll be lucky to get a form letter response.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Nice work, glad you were able to get in touch with someone. I'm guessing they they get these sort of calls on a regular basis and probably can't say much about the OEM specs.

At any rate, seems like the easiest route is to get an amplified sub and wire that in.
I agree, this is probably the easiest route. However I haven't found a good spot for one. I'm not too interested in giving up the rear storage compartment, and also not thrilled about having something in the cargo space. I've tossed around the idea of getting my hands on a HK sub from a Limited or Touring and using that enclosure as a starting point. But dam I don't have time for this crap anymore!

I'll be watching to see what you come up with!

·
Registered
2022 Subaru Ascent Onyx
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I'm not eager to give up any storage as I've actually got quite a bit already stored in the hidey hole in the back.

I too am curious about the HK sub and might browse the local U-pullits to see if there are any candidates. For that matter, is the HK sub mounted in the back cargo area on the left side?

·
Registered
552 Posts
It's on the passenger side, where the little storage indentation is at the very rear. So you would most likely need the trim piece from the donor car as well.

The grille on the left side is not related to audio, not 100% sure what it is THB.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I also feel at times that the RF 6x9s give enough bass that I don't need a sub. But then there are times I do think I need it. I've tried out 2 other speakers in the door and the RFs have by far the best bass response. However, there's a "dead spot" in the upper end of the mid range, so if I had a sub I could then replace the 6x9s with something a little tighter and cleaner through the upper end of the range. I've written too much about this here Chronicles of mild audio upgrades

This is one of the songs that makes me think I don't need a sub (might need something with better SQ that YouTube to get the best impression, Pandora on HQ streaming does it for me)

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,600 Posts
Dan Auerbach EQs Black Keys pretty darn heavy at the bass end, especially in the very low end and it's pretty grungy bottom, too. A sub will make your kidneys rattle at volume!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Dan Auerbach EQs Black Keys pretty darn heavy at the bass end, especially in the very low end and it's pretty grungy bottom, too. A sub will make your kidneys rattle at volume!
Haha you're probably right! I find Incubus to be mixed pretty similarly.

I need to play this song in my Outback (with HK system) too and see what that's like.

·
Registered
2022 Subaru Ascent Onyx
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The grille on the left side is not related to audio, not 100% sure what it is THB.
I'm so curious I'm almost tempted to take that trim panel off to find out, but the last thing I need on this car is a bunch of broken clips causing rattles. Unfortunately I'm not the gentlest of disassemblers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's got the blower for the rear HVAC.. So guessing the vent is either for intake for that or for cooling of the blower motor..

I am curious about adding a sub setup, even if only the HK style, just to add a bit more bump to the decent sounding stock setup... I've been considering the RF upgrade.. But not sure id I like that it only applies to the front speakers..

·
Registered
552 Posts
I've been considering the RF upgrade.. But not sure id I like that it only applies to the front speakers
I had this concern initially too. In fact bought new speakers for the rear and wound up return them (never installed), because I'm not sure it would have made a difference to my ears from the driver's seat.

My primary passengers are my wife (who wouldn't notice a thing) and my 4yo and 1yo kids. So, no one but me is going to care about the back door speakers. I say go for it, and you can always add on some rear door speakers of your own if needed. A decent 6.5 coax pair can be had for in the ~$100 range.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had this concern initially too. In fact bought new speakers for the rear and wound up return them (never installed), because I'm not sure it would have made a difference to my ears from the driver's seat.

My primary passengers are my wife (who wouldn't notice a thing) and my 4yo and 1yo kids. So, no one but me is going to care about the back door speakers. I say go for it, and you can always add on some rear door speakers of your own if needed. A decent 6.5 coax pair can be had for in the ~$100 range.
Yeah, I figure it would not be a big difference for me, so long as I really didn't think about it... Lol. My only passengers are my GF and 6 yo daughter... I don't have any issues with changing up the rear speakers on my own... Just hate that the upgrade doesn't really change anything for the output of the rear.. Only the front stage.. But I like the sound from the stock setup.. Especially compared to my stock 16' WRX.. So I think doing the RF upgrade would make it even more enjoyable... At least until I can figure out a way to add a small sub...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts