Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally got some quality time behind the wheel of the Ascent for a week long road trip from the Seattle, WA area to Central Oregon. Before I left, I contacted SOA as there was a new thread regarding the Hitch Recall. They had no info for me, or I was not affected by my dealer installed hitch. So I loaded up the bikes and the roof top cargo carrier and headed out. The weather has been quite warm so AC was on the whole time.

On the first day out, there was extended Freeway driving. I felt that the seats were comfortable and cabin pretty quiet. 30mins into the trip I spot a Red Ascent which was purchased from Bud Clary, but this was in the Tacoma Area. I wondered how many more I would see. After a few hundred miles on I5, I205, and I84, we got some 2 lane highway runs on US26 and US97. For passing, the Ascent was quick to go from the 60s to high 80s passing multiple vehicles fully loaded. I was definitely pleased. Stopped for fuel soon after the indicator said I was low which was after 300miles. I filled up with 16.9 gallons for 328.6 miles (19.44 MPG) where the computer estimated 20.3 MPG. I figure the light came on with 4 gallons left in the tank.

There was a bit more highway driving and in town driving the next few days. I noticed once I hit sunriver, the TomTom maps showed speed limits of 55MPH where they are 25MPH, no big deal. One of the days we ventured up to Big Obsidian and Paulina Lake/Peak. For those who have never been, the road to BigO is curvy. The tires on the 20" wheels did OK. There was much more body roll than I was expecting. The roof carrier was on, but empty, and the bike rack was still on, but empty as well. The "off road" capability was tested on the road to the peak. The road is like a 25mph gravel with some hairpins and had lots of areas of washboards towards the 8000' top. The ride was pretty rough on the 20's, would have loved something a bit more plush (like Rob's 17" setup? 18s?). Anything that needed settling or rattled out certainly had its chance. We ate lunch at the top. When we got back to the car, there 3 groups of people wondering what kind of car it was (it is debadged), so it certainly was a conversation piece. On the ride down, I got the tryout X-mode. Pretty nice feature.

On the way home, we topped off the tank. 12.8gals for 281miles (21.95 MPG). Had much more spirited driving over the mountain passes, and was doing 80 for most of the freeway driving. I finally got the Eyesight to behave better, like my Impreza. Maybe it just needed to learn? Never saw another Ascent, although probably spotted a thousand Outbacks. Filled up close to home. 14.17gals for 272miles (19.19 MPG).

Overall I like vehicle and it has passed its first real test. The car went over its 1K break-in at some point during this trip. I know the mileage will increase and know what it possible in the future. Even still, it was 2MPG+ over my F150 it replaced. I washed it last night to get all the bugs and desert dust off of it, and now it's back to commuter status for a while. Will have to get the interior on the weekend and get that sunscreen off of the tan leather. Time to catch up on the forum posts, and search for a spare wheel/tire set for winter/mountain expeditions.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
forgot to add:

Wanted to use the free wifi, but didn't set it up before I left so that was a bummer.

Also, was nice to have the free trial of SXM, and again it reminded me why I am not a subscriber. The Playlist is not that varied from a normal radio, and there are so many deadspots where I drive that it drives me crazy when it cuts out.

·
Registered
217 Posts
forgot to add:

Wanted to use the free wifi, but didn't set it up before I left so that was a bummer.

Also, was nice to have the free trial of SXM, and again it reminded me why I am not a subscriber. The Playlist is not that varied from a normal radio, and there are so many deadspots where I drive that it drives me crazy when it cuts out.
Just got back from a canada trip and turned 2000 on the way back. Mileage on the screen was 23.1 going over 70 and 27.2 when we were driving 55 - 65 in Canada. I did start the wifi before we left and it was great. I used Android Auto and Pandora and Aha a lot. My grandson was with me and he did tap into Siriux for some rap (drove me nuts). Love the car.

·
Registered
627 Posts
uphill climbs strong enough? :) Waiting to make a trip down to CA and see how it does through the syskiyou pass.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts