Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a great road trip from Omaha to Colorado over the long weekend and boy, there's a lot of Subaru's in Colorado. I didn't get any waves from any Subie owners though and I haven't seen another Ascent.

I was impressed by Subaru's Eyesight system especially the Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) System. For most of the driving, I tried to resist stepping on the brakes and feel how the Ascent responds to traffic (although I would have to admit that my foot probably got fatigued from hovering it over the brake pedal all the time just in case. LOL). If not for the steering wheel, I would say that it's a contender for Waymo. I guess I was impressed the most when I was on my way down from the Rocky Mountain National Park at night. The ACC was able to maintain a safe distance from the car I was following. I was glancing at the screen and it rarely uses the brake lights but maintains speed using CVT. I thought of trying the X-Mode but I didn't get the chance to read how to use it and pressing it gives a beep and doesn't do anything.

The only thing I noticed is that the front hood vibrates at freeway speeds. It's almost as if the hood isn't latched. I checked it on stops and they are snug. Not sure if others notice this too.

On the way home, an elderly gentleman parked beside me at a rest area asked what model my Subaru is. He said he had a Forester and have never seen a big Subaru before. :)

We are now thinking on where and when our next Subaru adventure will be?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Had a great road trip from Omaha to Colorado over the long weekend and boy, there's a lot of Subaru's in Colorado. I didn't get any waves from any Subie owners though and I haven't seen another Ascent.

The only thing I noticed is that the front hood vibrates at freeway speeds. It's almost as if the hood isn't latched. I checked it on stops and they are snug. Not sure if others notice this too.

We are now thinking on where and when our next Subaru adventure will be?
Hey another Omaha Ascent! I haven't seen any other Ascent's in Omaha area yet but Beardmore looked to be selling all of them they could get in.

I have noticed the hood vibration as well. We took a trip to Kearney over Labor Day and I had to keep my eyes off the hood. It looks like everything is normal with it and it doesn't worry me, but that thing likes to shimmy.

Do you have a Limited/Touring? If so, how did the headlights do at night with all the curves Colorado can offer?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Maybe placing a couple sound deadening mats on the backside of the hood would make it better...... or worse:). For a 40k car that should not be happening....on an economy car sure.

·
Registered
978 Posts
The Outback hood has movement also. As does our 2016 Fusion.

The hoods have very little structure and are made as light weight as possible today they do fex and move as a result.

At least the Ascent hood has some stamped shape in it to help give it more rigidity over a flat sheet of 1/32n thick aluminum.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey another Omaha Ascent! I haven't seen any other Ascent's in Omaha area yet but Beardmore looked to be selling all of them they could get in.

I have noticed the hood vibration as well. We took a trip to Kearney over Labor Day and I had to keep my eyes off the hood. It looks like everything is normal with it and it doesn't worry me, but that thing likes to shimmy.

Do you have a Limited/Touring? If so, how did the headlights do at night with all the curves Colorado can offer?
Hey fellow Omahan! I have seen one other Cinnamon Brown Ascent parked at Walnut Grove Plaza a while back but have not seen another one since. I got my Ascent from Beardmore and I have the Abyss Blue Premium. The headlights are adequate but I am considering having the fog lamps installed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have 3600 mi on my Ascent and have not noticed any hood movement. Have your dealership check this out. There may be some adjustment they can do to it.
There isn't any movement but it vibrates at high speed as if it is not latched. I am guessing it could be because of the thin metal sheet coupled with strong winds but needed to open it up here to be sure that I am not the only one experiencing it. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts

There's also a lot of Nebraskans vacationing and buying homes in our beautiful state but that's another story. We have part timers that own homes on either side of us here in Estes Park.

·
Registered
192 Posts

There's also a lot of Nebraskans vacationing and buying homes in our beautiful state but that's another story. We have part timers that own homes on either side of us here in Estes Park.
Not sure if you've recently moved to CO, but if so, welcome from down in Boulder :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Speaking of Estes Park, we were surprised to see a huge herd of elks at Baldwin Park on Sunday night! Wow, only in Colorado. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Speaking of Estes Park, we were surprised to see a huge herd of elks at Baldwin Park on Sunday night! Wow, only in Colorado. :)
I think you mean "Bond" Park. The Elk are as much a part of Estes Park as the citizens of our little mountain town. It's pretty tough to visit Estes without finding Elk within the city limits. Everyone needs to be very careful when driving here, especially this time of year with the rut commencing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not sure if you've recently moved to CO, but if so, welcome from down in Boulder :)
We've lived in Colorado for 5 years after chasing careers around the country and recently relocated from Windsor up to Estes (no more fracking!). My wife and I met in Denver back in the 80's. She was raised in Boulder. Her parents bought a house new back in the 60's for under $30k. How things have changed.

·
Registered
192 Posts
She was raised in Boulder. Her parents bought a house new back in the 60's for under $30k. How things have changed.
Wow - you can say that again!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think you mean "Bond" Park. The Elk are as much a part of Estes Park as the citizens of our little mountain town. It's pretty tough to visit Estes without finding Elk within the city limits. Everyone needs to be very careful when driving here, especially this time of year with the rut commencing.
I checked the street view map again and it is definitely Baldwin Park. We parked at Ivy St. and the elks were on that tiny park with the playground. There were also people on the other side of the river taking photos. We saw the elks by chance when we were looking for a place to eat. Saw a lot of people and luckily an empty parking spot so we stayed for a while and took pictures then proceeded to have dinner at Oppa Asian Bistro. :)

The elks were pretty much accustomed to people, me and my kids were just several feet away from them.

Here is my 8-year old daughter enjoying them. She begged me to take one home. :grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
You should have two plasticy-rubbery type stoppers on the hood that can be adjusted. My 2011 Outback actually had some movement and I was able to increase the size by rotating them by about a 1/4" which stopped it from moving in the wind at highway speeds. Of course, you can always bring it to your local dealership and they'll look at it.
@Subiesailor is also correct, they're using a higher strength steel for the hoods (it's on the press releases for the more recent Subarus across the fleet lineup) - which is thinner but stronger nonetheless.

So, check under the hood. Here's a photo from our friends over at the Legacy forums that I think illustrates the gray-ish piece you might want to adjust, to the bottom left of the windshield reservoir cap. Note: My wife's Honda Pilot has the adjustment "screws" on the hood itself, not the frame near the latch. NOT the black clip, the gray thing that's half out of the photo.

There isn't any movement but it vibrates at high speed as if it is not latched. I am guessing it could be because of the thin metal sheet coupled with strong winds but needed to open it up here to be sure that I am not the only one experiencing it. :)
Glad I’m not the only one experiencing this.

I made a post about this couple weeks ago but I experience this too. The hood vibrates at high speed and it makes me a bit nervous as I fear the hood will someday unlatch itself.

Anyone else experience this? Should this be taken into the dealership to have them look at?

Attachments

·
Registered
646 Posts
We've lived in Colorado for 5 years after chasing careers around the country and recently relocated from Windsor up to Estes (no more fracking!). My wife and I met in Denver back in the 80's. She was raised in Boulder. Her parents bought a house new back in the 60's for under $30k. How things have changed.
Unfortunately . Wife is a native I have been here 27 years.

·
Registered
192 Posts
On a completely different topic, since you live in Boulder, do you use Flatirons for your purchases/service? Or maybe Valley in Longmont? I would love to hear what you think of them.
This is my first Subaru in a long time so I don't have a lot of run-time with the dealer. That said, I have been using Flatirons for my Ascent purchase and first minor service (oil change, door edge guard installation). Experience has been mixed. My sales rep was not very experienced / lacked attention to detail and reliable follow-through. If I was doing it over, I likely would have gone elsewhere for my purchase (or maybe just requested a different sales rep when I started to see red flags). Now that I'm past that, I'm giving them a fair shot for service (mostly since they're convenient) and will assess whether to change providers over time.

Reactions: COLiving
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.