Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Car and driver did a review that was pretty bad. You could tell he was very no-Suv person. He said at speed to was a bit noisy
even though the 70 mph test was 64DBA which is super quiet. I find it very quiet even more so than my 16 Outback.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I’m still not sure what they are comparing to? A rolls Royce? This is the quietest subaru/car I’ve ever owned. Perhaps they have sensitive ears? They should go do a road trip in a stripped out race prepped Honda Civic or any convertible with the top down going 70+ mph. Now that is loud.

To answer the OP: no, this is completely unnecessary.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Car and driver did a review that was pretty bad. You could tell he was very no-Suv person. He said at speed to was a bit noisy
even though the 70 mph test was 64DBA which is super quiet. I find it very quiet even more so than my 16 Outback.

I haven't had a chance to drive an Ascent yet, but I figured the C&D remarks were mainnly from a need to fill up space with some gratuitous negative comments.

64 dBa is quiet, plus Alex on Autos gives it an A for cabin noise compared to peer vehicles, so I expect it to be a quiet ride. The Ascent is going up against some pretty quiet driving competition so it has to be good is this regard.

I also expect it to be quieter than the Outback since it's aimed higher in the market. The current gen OB can have awful wind noise problems sporadically from one car to the next. Lots of discussion of this on the OB forum.

·
Registered
277 Posts
It’s quite enough for me. But I noticed when engine is cold and goes up the long hill (my set up to get to main road) it makes whining noise.

Even my kids noticed it.

Is this is a turbo thing? Rpm are just a bit below 3000

·
Registered
646 Posts
I haven't had a chance to drive an Ascent yet, but I figured the C&D remarks were mainnly from a need to fill up space with some gratuitous negative comments.

64 dBa is quiet, plus Alex on Autos gives it an A for cabin noise compared to peer vehicles, so I expect it to be a quiet ride. The Ascent is going up against some pretty quiet driving competition so it has to be good is this regard.

I also expect it to be quieter than the Outback since it's aimed higher in the market. The current gen OB can have awful wind noise problems sporadically from one car to the next. Lots of discussion of this on the OB forum.
The SGP platform and acoustical glass (side and front) make it quiet. Outback had a wind noise problem until 18 when they re-shaped the mirrors and added side acoustical glass

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm still waiting on my Ascent, but during my test drive of a blue touring, the noise was bearable but not great. I'd say it's comparable to my Chevy Volt, which isn't great, but not terrible either.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Car & Driver never has a clue- Wait till Road & Track and Automobile does a full road test-it will be more in spot !!!!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Car & Driver never has a clue- Wait till Road & Track and Automobile does a full road test-it will be more in spot !!!!
That's funny.

I would agree the R&T folks are a better source these days.

All that said. Some simple dynamat patches in the doors will make a huge difference. This is true of every single modern Subaru since 2005.

·
Registered
685 Posts
The SGP platform and acoustical glass (side and front) make it quiet. Outback had a wind noise problem until 18 when they re-shaped the mirrors and added side acoustical glass
You still get the tire and wind noise through the doors. Take a German door card apart, and you will see the difference.

Some dynamat (or similar) scabs on the sheet-metal does wonders.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I don't find the noise to be anything out of the ordinary. I was driving on the interstate with the moonroof fully open and I was able to dictate several text messages without problem. I've also had several phone calls as well and nobody mentioned anything about background noise. The only time I really notice noise is when doing hard acceleration.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I don't find the noise to be anything out of the ordinary. I was driving on the interstate with the moonroof fully open and I was able to dictate several text messages without problem. I've also had several phone calls as well and nobody mentioned anything about background noise. The only time I really notice noise is when doing hard acceleration.
LOL.. that's because you guys don't live in the Pacific Northwest where RAIN and and idiots who use studded tires nearly year round (off course, I despise them) wear down the roads. It's like driving on ancient pebble Roman roads!

I have to be honest, my 16 Chevy Silverado is way more quiet.. :)

·
Registered
646 Posts
Coming from a 2006 Tribeca it's dead quiet. It's as quiet as my buddy's Lexus.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.