Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Ascent Limited with captain chairs
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I, like many worry about the sidewall height on the OEM 20 inch rims for driving on some gravel/forest roads. I have an opportunity to purchase some brand new Subaru Outback rims that are 18 inch by 7.0 wide. with the 5x114.3 bolt pattern and 55 offset. The OEM rims on my Ascent are 20 x 7.5 wide. The tires I want to put on are 245/60R R18 105H. Does the .5 inch width difference cause a problem or is the .5 decrease in width a safety concern?

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Not suitable, which is a shame... there are a few really pretty OEM Outback rims.

The load rating on the Outback rims is not sufficient, per my discussion with the manufacturer who makes them for Subaru. The only Subaru branded rim that's sufficiently load rated is maybe the Tribeca series.

Also, 7" may rub the front of the calipers.

·
Registered
1999 Ascent Limited with captain chairs
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not suitable, which is a shame... there are a few really pretty OEM Outback rims.

The load rating on the Outback rims is not sufficient, per my discussion with the manufacturer who makes them for Subaru. The only Subaru branded rim that's sufficiently load rated is maybe the Tribeca series.

Also, 7" may rub the front of the calipers.
Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Would spacers help? I bought some sweet aftermarket stock size rims for my Forester and would like to put them on an Ascent when I upgrade.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Would spacers help? I bought some sweet aftermarket stock size rims for my Forester and would like to put them on an Ascent when I upgrade.
Sadly, it absolutely won't. It's not a matter of spacing/fit - it's a matter of them all being designed for much lighter cars.

I talked to Subaru's rim manufacturer, and, no Subaru rims were designed to carry the Ascent's FAR greater weight, except the Ascent rims. The Forester GVWR is over a half ton less than the Ascent (1,109 pounds less). If you take an absolutely empty Ascent Touring, it weighs only 288 pounds less than the fully loaded maximum weight (GVWR) of the Forester. Even the Outback comes close.

The only OEM Subaru wheels that may be suited would be the Tribeca wheels (only 300 pounds less GVWR than the Ascent), but, no one ever talks about the Tribeca anymore, lol. Seriously though, the wheel manufacturer said only the Ascent wheels were designed to carry the Ascent's weight, and said no other OEM Subaru wheel should be used on the Ascent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts