Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am trying to get details on the rim size for the 18" wheel found on the Canadian "Touring" version. I have a comparison below. I need to know the following:

Size 18 X 8 - pretty sure this is right
Diameter 18
Bolt Pattern (mm) 5-114.3 ??
Offset (mm) 40 or 45 (what is the difference?)
Load index ??

Convenience | Touring | Limited | Premier - Canadian
Base | Premium | Limited | Touring - US

It appears our Canadian Touring is the same as the US Premium, both come standard with 18" but any rim info I try to find from Canadian rim manufactures seem to get the models mixed up from the US. I really need to know the both pattern, offset and load index in particular. I am picking up a set of Michelin X-ice Xi3 from Costco but they use a third party company for rims.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should add what Subaru Canada provides:

Tires: 245/60 R18
heels: 18" X 7.5"

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I ended up picking up a set of winter steelies for my Subura from Envy - https://westerncanada.envywheels.com/wheel-specification?productId=nx42855

At 70-ish bucks a piece as oppose to the 160 a rim I am quoted everywhere else, I am pretty happy.

Though the offset is 43mm on these, and the OEM ones are 55mm, I'm told that isn't a problem. I'll be using a set of Michelin X-Ice xi3 from Costco when their tire sale starts.

And before you comment that black steelies are ugly, so are our Canadian potholes and curbs hiding under snow. Our potholes look more like sinkholes - https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/five-photos-sinkholes-in-canada

·
Registered
561 Posts
I wonder what the weight difference is?
I put 17" wheels on one of my cars instead of the standard 16 and performance and MPG suffered.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update ... Offset of 43 is not enough

Stick with the OEM of 55, I was not able to use these rims (and can't return them). difference between 43/45 and 55 is enough that the brakes will rub at 43. I had to just switch my dealer tires with my winter rubbers using the stock rims.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Stick with the OEM of 55, I was not able to use these rims (and can't return them). difference between 43/45 and 55 is enough that the brakes will rub at 43. I had to just switch my dealer tires with my winter rubbers using the stock rims.
The offset isn't the issue. Offset does not determine the well size of the rim or the thickness of the "spokes". A big well causes rubbing on the outer surface of the caliper, while thick spokes will rub on the caliper facing.

43mm is farther outward from the caliper than 55mm.

Positive (+) inset/offset is measured inwards, so, the smaller the number, the farther outward from the caliper.

So, it's not the offset that's necessarily the issue (and definitely not in your case). I used wheels of the same offset and diameter and had different results because the wells were bigger on some (bringing the rims closer to the caliper outer surface), and where the "spokes" connected to the wheel rim were thicker on others (bringing it closer to the caliper face).

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Robert, I appreciate that insight. Sadly I have no idea where to go with that information. I don't have access to the technician who did the install (Costco) but was told they did not want to back the vehicle out of the bay as they were concerned with rubbing from the caliper. I have no idea what I tell the OEM of the rims to get the "right" rims as all the other specs were correct according to Subaru dealer I bought from. The only difference from what they recommended and what I got from the rim OEM is the offset. Just to be clear, Subaru dealer said:

Size 18 X 7.5
Diameter 18
Bolt Pattern (mm) 5-114.3
Offset (mm) 55
245/60 R18

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Thanks Robert, I appreciate that insight. Sadly I have no idea where to go with that information. I don't have access to the technician who did the install (Costco) but was told they did not want to back the vehicle out of the bay as they were concerned with rubbing from the caliper. I have no idea what I tell the OEM of the rims to get the "right" rims as all the other specs were correct according to Subaru dealer I bought from. The only difference from what they recommended and what I got from the rim OEM is the offset. Just to be clear, Subaru dealer said:

Size 18 X 7.5
Diameter 18
Bolt Pattern (mm) 5-114.3
Offset (mm) 55
245/60 R18

I'd try Discount Tire's or Tire Rack's website to look for compatible rims. They've measured and tested.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having a problem getting steel rims for winter tires as well.
Subaru dealer did give me the spec for 18" rims and had the offset at 55
I have tried a number of different tire distributors in my area and have not been successful. Offset was the issue with caliper rubbing was the issue.
The dealer has stated they are not able to acquire steel rims from Subaru for this winter seasons.
This was very frustrating as I did purchase winter tires from them.
So it looks like I will has to mount them on my alloy rims.
Hopefully will be able to purchase some steel rims in the new year.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I am trying to get details on the rim size for the 18" wheel found on the Canadian "Touring" version. I have a comparison below. I need to know the following:

Size 18 X 8 - pretty sure this is right
Diameter 18
Bolt Pattern (mm) 5-114.3 ??
Offset (mm) 40 or 45 (what is the difference?)
Load index ??

Convenience | Touring | Limited | Premier - Canadian
Base | Premium | Limited | Touring - US

It appears our Canadian Touring is the same as the US Premium, both come standard with 18" but any rim info I try to find from Canadian rim manufactures seem to get the models mixed up from the US. I really need to know the both pattern, offset and load index in particular. I am picking up a set of Michelin X-ice Xi3 from Costco but they use a third party company for rims.
"Let's all drink some maple syrup and ride a polar bear or a moose" not my creation, but a good line.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

Do you think this works for my Ascent, Touring model in Canada ?

I found it on Costco website: but offset is 42 not 55 ?!!!

SATURN 18X7.5 5-114.3 42P C73.1 SILVER
$169.99EACH
Specifications
Item #386735
Size18x7.5
Diameter18
Bolt Pattern (mm)5x114.3
Offset (mm)42
Center Bore (mm)73.1
Fixation SeatConical
ColorHyper Silver
Kit Part #396794
Part #CW081495
Part TypeAlloy Wheel
Wheel Weight (lbs)23.8

·
Registered
5 Posts
I called around to several local Tire shops and none of them has steel rims for the Ascent. Does anyone has better luck than me?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.