Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

So on road trip for 1200 miles so far - total of about 7500 miles on 21 Ascent.

Had third row folded with a few containers of food, clothes, etc, and a rollerboard size suitcase on each of the rear bucket seats. Every nook and cranny in the under cover area at rear filled with tools, ropes, bungees , etc.

Everything fine from Florida into Missouri and now Colorado where we met friends and in-laws in Aspen. First night all together went to a concert and dinner - since six of us, two sat in the third row - first time they were used.

After returning to the condo we all pile out, but someone notes the right rear tire area smells - it smelled like rubber tire that had been rubbing against something. The smell was gone the next day, and did not reoccur until we loaded it back the same - but, the smell was a bit less.

In-laws left so we have not recreated the situation since.

Thoughts on why the smell, or why only on the right rear?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Have a look underneath to see if you can spot any tire rub markings.If you're really concerned about it make an appointment with your service dept.

Did you happen to notice any bottoming out under load?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Luis,

I examined inside and outside and tread of the tire carefully. Nothing obvious.

No bottoming at all ... rode flat and looked flat even with two in the back.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I'll admit when I first got the Ascent that same smell you've experienced I did as well.On a few occasions I remember getting out the vehicle going around the rear looking( smelling) for the cause of the odor just like you described.Never got it checked but by the time the 2nd oil was due the smell just went away mysteriously,now I'm at around 47k on the clock.

If the smell continues and you're concerned about it just take it in and get it checked.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Been trying to come up with a reason ….

So, usually no weight of any significance behind the wheels, right - no one in the third row, perhaps some gear, but not much? Put 250-300 pounds of people, and the distance of their center point it well behind the rear wheels?

Now, add new tires to the equation - (7500 miles on flat roads without people in the third row). Perhaps the weight BEHIND the rear axle established a new wear point on the tires? Perhaps the hills and turns exacerbated this?

·
Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
174 Posts
No idea what the issue is, but the in-law jokes are basically writing themselves here.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Did you check under the car for any debris? While this did not happen to our Ascent, we had a strange smell come from the back of our previous car, a Tribeca. It turns out, a plastic bag got caught near the rear left muffler.

·
Administrator
10,404 Posts
Is the alignment ok?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep - no abnormal wear - exactly the same psi in each tire - doesn't pull or act odd in any way.

I'm still thinking it was the first time any weight of significance was centered behind the center of the axle.

·
Administrator
10,404 Posts
My tires smelled when I first used them. I wonder if the added weight is making a little bit more of the "new tire" area hit the pavement, making them smell...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah - my thinking - draw the line up through the hub center and it is well in front of two adults centered on the back seat - figure maybe another 300-350 pounds? Butts would be well aft of the centerline.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts