Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really love the design and craftsmanship of the UltraSwing MultiFit - and I love that it gives us the option to have a swing-out table along with the option to add a bike rack.

But the full-sized spare we have rubs against the metal bar of the rack. The folks at Rigd tell me it's ok as long as the rims aren't touching the rack (they aren't), but my instinct tells me it's not ideal to have the side wall of the tire rubbing against anything.

So, am I worrying about nothing? Or should I get a wheel spacer to make sure the tire doesn't rub? And if I get a spacer, does anyone have recommendations for what might be a good solution for this, given that the spacer doesn't need to be optimized for driving on?

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
OMG, that's great!!! He used my pics for the product pics!!!

ANYWAYS... @roaringsubie can you send me pics of where it's rubbing? Him and I were working on the best spacing so that Subaru accessories, such as the Thule bike racks, could fit - as well as for safer towing by moving the spare farther away from the trailer.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
I think, if you're concerned, you can get a simple 5mm disk-style offset spacer (5x114.3) and stick it on before the tire.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OMG, that's great!!! He used my pics for the product pics!!!
I saw that! It's kind of crazy that I'm starting to recognize familiar Ascents :D

I think, if you're concerned, you can get a simple 5mm disk-style offset spacer (5x114.3) and stick it on before the tire.
Awesome, I'll look into this as an option.

can you send me pics of where it's rubbing?
I'll try to get pics tomorrow in the daylight.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
The offset of the rim and the beefy’ ness of the tire can lend to it rubbing on lower arm of the rigid. I have had a few different carriers on toyota and our other subaru, and depending on your setup, you may rub on the rubber of the tire a little, Will not affect much, but the spacer idea is an option.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The spare tire carrier we got was from RigdSupply, not Rigid Armor. I was honestly confused the first time I started looking them up.

Here's a link to the RigdSupply one:

This one swings out and has the ability to add a FrontRunner table along with a bike rack. I'm honestly wondering if we would have been better off getting the lighter Rigid Armor version, but I wanted a swing out instead of a swing down.

For our tire, the rim won't rest flush against the mount, because the tire is pressing against the bar that extends in about 45 degrees down on the right. I still need to take pics, but I might not make it in time before the sun goes down today.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Ah!!! Ok, that's different. I'd just drop in a spacer (5mm or 10mm), especially if it prevents solidly torqueing down the lug nuts.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok. I got pics. It's a little hard to get a good picture of the gap where the rim is supposed to be seated on the mount, but I've taken a picture from both sides: where it's making contact and where there's a gap.

For the record, we haven't driven with the spare mounted like that yet.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Ok, I'd measure the distance, and add 5mm or so, and get a bolt on hub spacer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, Robert! And did you say in an another thread that the OEM lugs are conical? I'm having trouble finding that info, and I want to get wheel locks for the spare.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Looks like it’s offset and wider tire that’s in play here..
That's what I was thinking. I'm guessing the folks at Rigd are used to their customers having smaller rims with lower offsets. I did raise the issue with them, since everyone I've talked to recently has said "We haven't worked with (many) Ascents yet...you'll be the first (or second) customer we've had who's doing what you're doing"

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Thanks, Robert! And did you say in an another thread that the OEM lugs are conical? I'm having trouble finding that info, and I want to get wheel locks for the spare.
OEM lugs are 60° flat conical, M12 (12mm) x 1.25, minimum 0.945" inside length.

·
Registered
1 Posts
stupid question, does the ultraswing completely cover the parking sensors? and if so how do you handle the parking?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
stupid question, does the ultraswing completely cover the parking sensors? and if so how do you handle the parking?
Not a stupid question at all. Yes, the UltraSwing blocks the rear view camera and sensors. For now, I've been relying on side mirrors along with what I'm still able to see out of the rear view camera. Going forward, I plan on wiring up an alternate rear view camera. I just haven't figured out which camera best suits our needs.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
One note to add: we originally bought the UltraSwing thinking it would be a great solution for carrying a full spare with the added ability to carry a bike rack and have a camp table.

It is all that, but it's also been a bit of a starter DIY kit that has propelled us into getting deeper into automotive tools and modifications. I expected to be able to mount this on the hitch and go, but instead, it's been quite an adventure trying to resolve one issue after another:

1. Moving the license plate means adding wiring to light the license plate. I've never paid attention to license plate lighting because I've never had to. Turns out people installing bike racks need to worry about this, too, if their license plate is obscured by bikes. I don't know anyone who does this, and they've probably never been pulled over for covering their plate, but it isn't legal. I've even found bike-rack-mounted license plate relocation kits - and none of them come with lighting solutions. Theoretically, there are lots of people out driving with obscured or unlit license plates just waiting to get pulled over.
2. Covering the rear camera and sensors means finding and wiring a new rear camera if we want to restore that capability (we do).
3. Even mounting the UltraSwing required grease, torque wrench, socket wrenches, socket wrench extensions. And a breaker bar to remove the UltraSwing before taking the Ascent in for modifications.
4. The deep wheel well (caused by a 7.5" wide wheel with 55mm offset) required installing a bolt-mounted wheel spacer.
5. Finding the right wheel spacer meant learning about the thread pattern on the lug studs (they're 12x1.25) and understanding all the numbers used to describe a wheel spacer. Maybe we could have gotten by with any thread pattern, but we wanted to get wheel locks to match all the wheels.
6. Sourcing tools and parts during COVID is slow and challenging, at best.

As part of gearing up to do more overlanding, it's essential that we understand more about the Ascent along with the tools needed to maintain it in a remote location, so this has been an overall positive experience for us - if at times frustrating.

All this is to say that I'm not sure I'd recommend the UltraSwing to folks expecting a simple plug-and-play hitch mount for a full-sized spare. On the other hand, if you have reason to carry a full-sized spare, maybe you're the right market for this.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts