Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell us how their Ascent is for ride comfort on uneven surfaces. First Off: I really want to enjoy our new 19 Ascent Premium it has under 10 K miles on it as I'm typing. We feel very fortunate to have our first brand new vehicle in twenty years and BTW, yes its our first Subaru. With accessories it is nearly a $40,000 vehicle. So again we feel really blessed and it's a Subaru, aren't they supposed to be awesome vehicles. Now about the ride without telling you how and why I've driven in over 100 different vehicles (cars and trucks) and around 2 million miles. Our Ascent's ride reminds me of the 1965 International Pickup I learned to drive in. Driving over paved roads with any type of bump or divot (not pot holes) 2 to 4 on a scale of 1-10, 1 being smooth 10 being extremely bumpy, you feel like your on a Bucking Bronco no matter what seat you're in. At least when you're driving you have the steering wheel to hold onto. Yes I've tried adjusting air pressures between 33 psi and 35 psi. I'm hoping it's a break-in kind of thing but I know that's wishful thinking at this point. I have a phobia of dealerships working on our vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,215 Posts
I have not experienced anything like you describe. My Ascent is every bit as comfortable as other vehicles I've owned on the road, including uneven pavement, including the Grand Cherokee Overland Summit with air suspension I previously drove for 7 years.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Speed bumps one tire at a time, not hitting the speed bump perpendicular, makes it feel like a bucking bronco. However, no different than my Crosstrek or any other vehicle I have had. Dirt roads at 15 miles per hour felt fine. Our Ascent also have 20s for rims, so not a lot of volume in the tires. Since I drive the Ascent sparingly, it's my wife's daily driver, I find the ride very pleasant compared to driving my base model Crosstrek or my once a week in our Jeep TJ.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
814 Posts
Today, without me asking, my wife said how much she likes the way our Accent rides. We are at 16,000+ miles.

That being said, harsh bumps seem to me to be less dampened than some vehicles I've had, although, it's much better than my previous RAM truck in that regard.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I found the ride to be very smooth. It handles small to medium road imperfections very nicely, and even large pot holes and moderately rough unpaved roads quite well. It's probably the most softly sprung car I've owned besides my Avalons. The suspension does make some ungainly sounds over rough patches, however.
While it doesn't handle as well as my GLS 450, it does dampen the bumps much better. I think it's a good compromise for a family hauler.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I started a thread (somewhere on this forum) weeks ago stating the front suspension bottoms out easily but now I learned that the 20” rim with low tire side profile is the weak link for proper suspension.

Otherwise, the ride is phenomenal and it’s exteemly quiet.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I feel mine rides and handles well and I'm quite satisfied with it compared to all the previous vehicles I've owned or driven. Some of those may have been in better in one regard or another, but in balance and for what it is, I'm quite happy.

In one area I drive frequently I wind up going go over a number of speedbumps and it's solid. I go fast enough to allow the suspension to absorb them rather than lift the whole car up, which tends to be faster than most other drivers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I feel mine rides and handles well and I'm quite satisfied with it compared to all the previous vehicles I've owned or driven. Some of those may have been in better in one regard or another, but in balance and for what it is, I'm quite happy.

In one area I drive frequently I wind up going go over a number of speedbumps and it's solid. I go fast enough to allow the suspension to absorb them rather than lift the whole car up, which tends to be faster than most other drivers.
Can anyone tell us how

·
Registered
7 Posts
My wife and kids complain to no end about the rough ride quality of my 2019. It’s my first SUV and it feels like a truck to me. I don’t notice it as much because I’ve got the wheel, but they generally don’t enjoy the ride. My wife has an 5 year old Infinity QX60 that’s a much softer and smoother ride than my Ascent. I test drove Mazda CX-9 as my other option when I bought the Ascent. I went with Ascent at the time because I preferred the infotainment system and the much larger interior, but the CX-9 was a much sportier and smoother riding vehicle. I will probably not buy another Subaru after this experience.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Premium Blue Abyss
325 Posts
My wife and kids complain to no end about the rough ride quality of my 2019. It’s my first SUV and it feels like a truck to me. I don’t notice it as much because I’ve got the wheel, but they generally don’t enjoy the ride. My wife has an 5 year old Infinity QX60 that’s a much softer and smoother ride than my Ascent. I test drove Mazda CX-9 as my other option when I bought the Ascent. I went with Ascent at the time because I preferred the infotainment system and the much larger interior, but the CX-9 was a much sportier and smoother riding vehicle. I will probably not buy another Subaru after this experience.
Do you have the 18 or 20 inch wheels? What PSI are you at? I got my Ascent 2 weeks ago, it felt rather firm, I then looked at my PSI and they'd been around 37 (cold), so after reading the actual rec's for PSI I lowered them to 35. It made a load of difference. I have the 18 inch wheels which I'm told create a smoother ride too. Might be worth looking into. Tire can make a big difference too.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,285 Posts
I will probably not buy another Subaru after this experience.
Don't discount Subaru as a brand because of the ride quality of the Ascent. I agree -- it rides like a truck. The Outback and Forester ride much more smoothly. It's a pretty notable difference, really. We have the 20" wheels and keep them inflated to about 34 psi. I keep thinking about changing to the 18" size just for better ride quality. I do like how our car drives and handles...I'm not sure how much the 20" wheels contribute to the handling.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I find the ride pretty good in general, but it is harsh over sharp edged bumps and holes compared to other vehicles I've had. My wife complains about the ride when riding in the second row. Her Tundra rides better.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,215 Posts
My Ascent handles and feels pretty similar to the top trim Grand Cherokee I used to drive. Wheelbase is about the same, although the tires on the Ascent are slightly smaller and narrower. Both vehicles 20s for the wheels. The JGC was a bit heavier, however, at 5300+ lbs.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
428 Posts
My wife thinks the ride is a bit rough overall, but I think it's just fine, so opinions obviously vary even within the same family in the same vehicle. We've got the 20 in wheels, so if $ allows might switch to the 18's down the road and see if she likes that better.

·
Registered
236 Posts
It's a matter of perspective and what you're accustomed to, I suppose. My wife and I got into the Ascent previously have much firmer riding cars (lowered cars and a Cayenne), so we actually find the Ascent a bit softer with more body roll than we'd prefer.

That said, I find it hard to believe that the CX-9 ride quality was not as rough the Ascent unless, MAYBE, you drove a CX-9 with the 18"s and have an Ascent with the 20"s; that's a big maybe though assuming you drove them on similar roads. I've driven the CX-9 on multiple occasions and it is the firmest riding and best handling 3 row option in this segment.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts