Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I’m just old or something but I just don’t understand why so many reviews are more than half the time focused on the infotainment. I don’t care about,(don’t even know what they do) CarPlay, android auto, etc. As long as I can put on the radio or play a CD, I’m good. I need to be able to turn on the heat or a/c. Window defrost a must, tri zone climate control not so much. Auto windows are nice.
What I want to see in a review is how people and things fit. How it drives. Not how to connect thirteen devices but like I said I guess I’m just old but big thanks to Subaru for leaving some things alone in the Ascent. Actual shift lever, radio and climate knobs, traction system that still allows the driver to drive, no stop/start is a huge factor for me. And even the eyesight nanny stuff can be turned off if desired.
I wish reviewers would spend more time on things like having a few people sitting in the drivers seat and seeing how the adjustments work for each one. Throwing some kids in the second and third row. Taking the vehicles on different roads in different conditions but I guess that can be time consuming or difficult to coordinate. Loading a variety of cargo not just a big box and saying yup it fits. Show me the access in a garage next to another vehicle where you can only open the door part way.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,108 Posts
I guess I’m just old or something but I just don’t understand why so many reviews are more than half the time focused on the infotainment. I don’t care about,(don’t even know what they do) CarPlay, android auto, etc. As long as I can put on the radio or play a CD, I’m good. I need to be able to turn on the heat or a/c. Window defrost a must, tri zone climate control not so much. Auto windows are nice.
What I want to see in a review is how people and things fit. How it drives. Not how to connect thirteen devices but like I said I guess I’m just old but big thanks to Subaru for leaving some things alone in the Ascent. Actual shift lever, radio and climate knobs, traction system that still allows the driver to drive, no stop/start is a huge factor for me. And even the eyesight nanny stuff can be turned off if desired.
I wish reviewers would spend more time on things like having a few people sitting in the drivers seat and seeing how the adjustments work for each one. Throwing some kids in the second and third row. Taking the vehicles on different roads in different conditions but I guess that can be time consuming or difficult to coordinate. Loading a variety of cargo not just a big box and saying yup it fits. Show me the access in a garage next to another vehicle where you can only open the door part way.
Re infotainment, I agree. I was in high tech for 40 years. Despite voice response and high res graphics,human interface has actually gotten far worse and less efficient (and less reliable).

·
Registered
223 Posts
I would mostly agree with that. Are you referring to professional CR type reviews or other print/YouTube reviewers or amateur owners?

I recall the CR Ascent 2019 to 2020 taking a dip in its score that was partially based on the infotainment system. I have nothing against a high functioning up to date infotainment system but could not understand why it was so heavily weighted.

I have a computer with all the functions I’d ever want in my pocket. Why have one as part of the car? I’m happy it still has so many actual knobs and buttons. I’ve driven some vehicles where the infotainment did everything and had almost no manual controls. I felt very distracted and unsafe. I hated it.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pretty much all the reviews I could find, youtube, cr, owners, they all focus on the infotainment. I just don’t get it, when I’m driving the thing I’m focused on is the road not my console. Buttons and knobs are far superior to touch screens while driving. Also I live in Winnipeg, we wear gloves for 6 months a year, touch screens and gloves don’t mix. I know there are gloves with touch screen compatibility but those are no where near warm enough here. To add to it, touch screens usually, (hasn’t been cold enough yet to see on the ascent) lag something awful in -40C.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,841 Posts
They focus on it because that's what the marketplace has asked for in recent years. Infotainment and electronic features are the hot zone for wants and concerns and what the majority of buyers apparently ask about.

Reactions: Percy Garris

·
Registered
223 Posts
They focus on it because that's what the marketplace has asked for in recent years. Infotainment and electronic features are the hot zone for wants and concerns and what the majority of buyers apparently ask about.
Yeah completely. Although a sad reflection of priorities for a vehicle imho.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring
24 Posts
I specifically sought out a car that had hard buttons for climate and no auto stop-start. The Ascent was literally the only one that I found without auto stop-start. To turn on the heated seat on my '17 Durango, you had to click through on the touch screen, as well as for other climate control functionality. That was really hard to do while driving, and dangerous as well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
There are a lot of technology driven folks out there that want all that stuff. The 30 somethings on down want all the touchscreen stuff also. I like buttons and switches. I like the way my Premium feels driving down the road. I first test drove Honda ( Pilot and Passport), I asked if there was any different trim levels with better suspension and the response was no. I felt every crack in the road from tar sealing the crack. I felt a smooth ride with the Ascent. I tested getting up to highway speeds on the on ramp, it did the job. It had plenty of safety features and the projected MPG was pretty good. I live in a small town and do mostly mixed highway/town driving. I get consistantly 24mpg on up. I am satisfied. I did not want to spend $50K ( after taxes, etc) on a car. I got what I wanted, no more. And since we are a little ways out in the boonies, I like satellite radio because we have limited radio(FM) reception. It's also good when traveling, where the choice has been bible preachers or latino music because I can drive over 300 miles between big cities. Chino Valley, AZ; 20 miles north of Prescott, AZ; 100 miles north of Phoenix, AZ. Lots of open land in between.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring
24 Posts
There are a lot of technology driven folks out there that want all that stuff. The 30 somethings on down want all the touchscreen stuff also.
I'm an IT Director, so I am not adverse to technology. I enjoy it, actually. Not when I am driving though - to me that is dangerous. We see PSA's on TV all the time about not using smart devices while driving, and then they put a big ole one in the middle of our dashboard. Having to touch through several menus to turn on my steering wheel heat, or redirect the heater output to my feet - while I am driving - is no better than using my phone while I am driving.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,108 Posts
I'm an IT Director, so I am not adverse to technology. I enjoy it, actually. Not when I am driving though - to me that is dangerous. We see PSA's on TV all the time about not using smart devices while driving, and then they put a big ole one in the middle of our dashboard. Having to touch through several menus to turn on my steering wheel heat, or redirect the heater output to my feet - while I am driving - is no better than using my phone while I am driving.
Fellow IT veteran here. Over 40 years ago I was an intern writing data entry software for a major NY bank. Among the specs was the ironclad mandate that the entry clerk's eyes should never have to search for anything on the screen. Tab-tab-tab from field to field. When mice came into the market, productivity and accuracy plummeted. My bank collected all the mice and had us rewrite the software to go back to tab-tab-tab. Eye-hand coordination on a screen requires more brain cycles than keyboard. Cars with dashboard knobs and buttons have to be inherently safer than touch screens.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I couldn't agree more. It baffles me this exists in current form and hardly anyone talks about. The voice recognition tech is the way to go with some of the favorite 'buttons' for commonly used items.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Greetings,
I suppose it's the same as all the smart phone commercials that only speak about the cameras and not to the computer inside. It is the most easily relatable thing to a large portion of the consumer base.

Sometimes I almost forget myself that the reason for buying a Subaru is the drivetrain. Boxer engine with symmetric all wheel drive. Everything else is gravy.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
625 Posts
Subaru would be smart to not follow the Durango and Ford mess. I love being able to adjust heated seats, HVAC, etc, without looking. The WRX is actually easier than the Ascent. But the Ascent HVAC can be controlled via remote start.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I am glad we have buttons for the heated steering wheel, and the heated vented seats, & climate controls. I think they did a pretty good job with the infotainment system, compared to most cars. It's fairly intuitive.

Both my Lincoln, and jaguar have touch screens for those functions, and it drives me nuts. Although the Lincoln also has a redundant, more usable capacitive touch surface for most of those controls as well.

As much as I like the new outback, that huge touch screen is a big turn off ( yes, it looks cool, but it's an ergonomic and functional nightmare). I hope the engineers and managers avoid that with the updated Ascent. Ken, are you listening?

If for no other reason, having a tactile button requires less time away from watching the road, versus trying to hit the right spot on a featureless touch screen. Considering it takes a few taps of the screen to get to the proper submenu in the 1st place it's a distraction....whereas A physical button is always available.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
625 Posts
Just look at the SpaceX crew capsule....real switches! I'm hoping the '22 STI doesn't go all touch....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts