Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my utility trailer on for the first time and had some challenges backing up. I am NOT a newbie to towing and have pretty good reverse skills, but I am new to the Ascent. So, my issue was when I was trying to back into the driveway. It seemed everytime I changed from R to D, the buttons I pushed on the screen to disable RAB and the other one (can't recall right now) came back ON! So it was; Backward, forward...long pause while I turned off the sensors, backward, and repeat a couple of times. This long pause could be a dangerous time if I'm on a busier road or campsite when trying to reverse! Has anyone run into this before? Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
I didn't have any of that kind of issue with my utility trailer about two weeks ago when I hooked it up to the Ascent for the first time...my struggle was with the smaller mirrors as compared to the Grand Cherokee I previously drove. I wouldn't have thought I might need extension mirrors to see my simple 5' x 8' trailer on the sides, but that may be the case. Not having that vision when backing up was a challenge, although I'll hopefully get used to it. (The rear camera(s)' views isn't quite the same as with the side mirrors)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had my utility trailer on for the first time and had some challenges backing up. I am NOT a newbie to towing and have pretty good reverse skills, but I am new to the Ascent. So, my issue was when I was trying to back into the driveway. It seemed everytime I changed from R to D, the buttons I pushed on the screen to disable RAB and the other one (can't recall right now) came back ON! So it was; Backward, forward...long pause while I turned off the sensors, backward, and repeat a couple of times. This long pause could be a dangerous time if I'm on a busier road or campsite when trying to reverse! Has anyone run into this before? Any suggestions?
I tow a lot, so I disabled the proximity alarm using the paddle switch menus and found that as I back up slowly, if the RAB activates and I keep very slight pressure of the accelerator to continue backing, the RAB shuts itself off. I only do this if I'm in a hurry, otherwise, disabling the RAB the normal way works and it stays disabled till I shut down and restart the vehicle. Although when I first got the car the RAB did what yours does, maybe the car "learns" over time that when you have a trailer plugged in you don't need RAB & the alarms.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I tow a lot, so I disabled the proximity alarm using the paddle switch menus and found that as I back up slowly, if the RAB activates and I keep very slight pressure of the accelerator to continue backing, the RAB shuts itself off. I only do this if I'm in a hurry, otherwise, disabling the RAB the normal way works and it stays disabled till I shut down and restart the vehicle. Although when I first got the car the RAB did what yours does, maybe the car "learns" over time that when you have a trailer plugged in you don't need RAB & the alarms.
I experienced something similar... I had to manually disable RAB & alarms when our hitch bike rack was attached the first few times...it now disables automatically. When towing for the first time, it did not disable. Definitely curious if it learns to disable when our trailer is connected after a few more trips.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.