Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subaru AWD is a bit new to me and so maybe I am experiencing a quirk that is common in how it operates.

On full lock turns pulling into a parking spot, it feels as if there is more resistance on the turn almost as if the AWD is not compensating for the travel distance and allowing the tire to slip. It is not intense and doesn't cause the car to shutter and skip, but it does create some resistance. There is always the possibility this is normal operation and the AWD releases the tire when it feels the resistance which is what allows me to complete the turn without a shutter or jerk. Now this could be the tires and the surface and that fact it is 90+ degrees in the parking lot along with the the tire angle and all that, but I am wondering if others are getting the same sort of resistance.

It is more noticeable when turning all the way left.

I've driven a 4X4 for 7 years and whenever I forgot to turn off $X$ in the parking lot it definitely hopped and jerked. The early AWD Mountaineers didn't slip well and this was common. I've driven an X-Drive (BMW AWD) and didn't ever notice this in full lock then again it wasn't my daily driver going into the same parking lot daily.

Any input would be great. Maybe I'll try some figure 8's to see how it does.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Subaru AWD is a bit new to me and so maybe I am experiencing a quirk that is common in how it operates.

On full lock turns pulling into a parking spot, it feels as if there is more resistance on the turn almost as if the AWD is not compensating for the travel distance and allowing the tire to slip. It is not intense and doesn't cause the car to shutter and skip, but it does create some resistance. There is always the possibility this is normal operation and the AWD releases the tire when it feels the resistance which is what allows me to complete the turn without a shutter or jerk. Now this could be the tires and the surface and that fact it is 90+ degrees in the parking lot along with the the tire angle and all that, but I am wondering if others are getting the same sort of resistance.

I've driven a 4X4 for 7 years and whenever I forgot to turn off $X$ in the parking lot it definitely hopped and jerked. The early AWD Mountaineers didn't slip well and this was common. I've driven an X-Drive (BMW AWD) and didn't ever notice this in full lock then again it wasn't my daily driver going into the same parking lot daily.

The car is four wheel active torque vectoring, and will slow both inside wheels on a turn. Perhaps that drag on the inside wheels is what you're feeling? It's definitely a different feeling, especially when coupled with the steering dynamics of the electric motor power assist steering, compared to previous models.

Also, full lock turns cant (tilt) the wheels a bit off angle, which one can feel on certain surfaces as the wheel grabs a bit more on the side.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car is four wheel active torque vectoring, and will slow both inside wheels on a turn. Perhaps that drag on the inside wheels is what you're feeling? It's definitely a different feeling, especially when coupled with the steering dynamics of the electric motor power assist steering, compared to previous models.

Also, full lock turns cant (tilt) the wheels a bit off angle, which one can feel on certain surfaces as the wheel grabs a bit more on the side.
Makes sense. It's the left turns I am noticing since the driver side wheels are dragging and that is the side I am sitting on. I'll keep my eye on it and eventually get used to it I imagine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't think this is the same thing you are experiencing but I once had a 4EAT Forester with transfer duty solenoid and transfer clutch go bad and caused a sort of speed bump affect with hard turn. This sends power to the back by the amount of force on the clutch pack. Again, I don't think this is the problem or if even they still use the same method of power transfer. Just throwing it out there.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts

how the modern subaru awd works, 4 options

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not sure but maybe you have the option turned on to stay within the lane.
I had to turn it off as it was pulling against me everywhere, especially in NYC where you have to school like a fish and lanes aren't always in the right place!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.