Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I reset the average MPG on my Ascent? I'm about to go on a short-ish road trip and am curious about the highway MPG?

·
Registered
223 Posts
An aside about MPG, I have found my computer calculator to be mostly very accurate when I calculate it myself. I know others may differ a bit, but I think I'm going to stop manually calculating it. It seemed to fluctuate more when the engine was being broken in.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I don't even care anymore. Gas is cheap now. I don't even drive much cause I work from home now.

Besides after driving a truck that gets only 14mpg average the Ascent's mpg is nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Subaru uses a really crappy method for DTE and MPG and it's usually never accurate. I don't even look at it anymore, but I know when you reset it expect it to take a bit to re-normalize.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It's that easy? Oh, I'm so embarrassed...
One thing to note. Pressing the button to the left of the steering wheel for just a short time will toggle between the "A" and "B" odometer and mileage settings. Pressing the button for a longer time resets these settings. Thus you want to note whether you are in the "A" or "B" mode before resetting. I use the "A" setting to check each tank of gas and reset the "A" setting whenever I fill up with gas. I do not reset the"B" setting and thus it shows my mileage over extended miles and can show you an average mileage over many tanks of gas.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
43 Posts
We use A for each tank also, and B gets reset at the oil change. It makes for a quick check and helps us keep on top of the oil changes. We also figured out how to add the oil change into the maintenance area. We will see if the warning comes up!

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
43 Posts
It is a tracking/notification system for maintenance. We used it religiously on our 2015 Outback, which had many more entries available. The Ascent only has the basics. Don't rely totally on it! I have been unable to find a work-around for when your wife sees the notification and turns it off without taking any action... 😁 Page 218 of the Owners Manual...

Text Font Line

·
Registered
51 Posts
An aside about MPG, I have found my computer calculator to be mostly very accurate when I calculate it myself. I know others may differ a bit, but I think I'm going to stop manually calculating it. It seemed to fluctuate more when the engine was being broken in.
Glad to hear someone is getting accurate estimates. I occasionally calculate my MPG manually and the Ascent is consistently +1 mpg vs reality. I had assumed this was just an optimistic measuring algorithm put in by Subaru. I found the same to be true of my '14 and '12 Outbacks. The optimistic calculations held from purchase to trade-in at 60k miles

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
43 Posts
Our 2015 Outback was about 5% optimistic. Our Ascent has varied slightly high and low, but on average is within 2% of the actual calculation. Best one I have ever had! I will still do it manually though. OCD curse...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.