Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had posted this elsewhere, but never got a response. I’m new here, so if I put this in the wrong bucket please forgive me.

My wife and I are retired and don’t put a lot of miles on our cars. So my question is:

The maintenance schedule says to perform maintenance at six months or 6000 miles whichever comes first. But let’s say you only drive 3000 miles every six months, why would you be required to rotate tires every six months, or why would you need to replace synthetic oil and filter every six months? If not, would this void the warranty?

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I had posted this elsewhere, but never got a response. I’m new here, so if I put this in the wrong bucket please forgive me.

My wife and I are retired and don’t put a lot of miles on our cars. So my question is:

The maintenance schedule says to perform maintenance at six months or 6000 miles whichever comes first. But let’s say you only drive 3000 miles every six months, why would you be required to rotate tires every six months, or why would you need to replace synthetic oil and filter every six months? If not, would this void the warranty?

Thanks for any feedback.
It will not void the warranty, so don't worry about that.

But what does happen is that inspections need to be done. Brake fluid, for example, is hygroscopic - meaning it will absorb moisture from the air through the microscopic pores in your hoses REGARDLESS of whether you drive the car or not. That's why Subaru recommends a brake fluid flush every 2 1/2 years. It MIGHT be a little overkill, but it's preventative maintenance designed to keep your car running for the 300,000 miles or more that it CAN run.

So ... it's up to you. Officially, yeah, it's every six months or 6,000 miles, and that's what I have to say.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Yes, I understand about age related deterioration. For example, I replace my tires every six years even if there’s plenty of tread left. But I follow the tire manufacturers recommendation on rotation that’s based on miles not age. For regular oil I agree, I change it every six months even if it’s only been driven a thousand miles. But synthetic oil, I have always thought it’s good for year as long as the miles are under 6000 miles. Please correct me if I’m mistaken.

However, since my dealer offers the lifetime power train warranty, he might not be so understanding. ;)

·
Registered
965 Posts
However, since my dealer offers the lifetime power train warranty, he might not be so understanding. ;)
Ah, now see that's where your DEALER is offering a warranty that is NOT the Subaru warranty. So if you want to qualify for that warranty, you need to follow HIS guidelines.

·
Registered
590 Posts
However, since my dealer offers the lifetime power train warranty, he might not be so understanding. /forum/images/smilies/wink.gif
Ah, now see that's where your DEALER is offering a warranty that is NOT the Subaru warranty. So if you want to qualify for that warranty, you need to follow HIS guidelines.
I agree. Our dealer offers this as well and you must follow the Subaru schedule to a tee. So we will be doing that every 6 months or the mileage reguardless. For us the lifetime warranty only has the stipulation of following all subaru required maintenance schedule. We would do that anyway so for us it’s just an added bonus.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So one final question: if I forget about the dealer warranty and purchase a 10 year gold plus warranty, would not following the recommended maintenance schedule void the gold plus warranty?

Thanks!

·
Registered
225 Posts
So one final question: if I forget about the dealer warranty and purchase a 10 year gold plus warranty, would not following the recommended maintenance schedule void the gold plus warranty?

Thanks!
In a way yes. If you never flush your brake fluid and the master cylinder goes bad they won't cover it. If you have a failure such as the engine, the first thing the dealer/Subaru Corp is going to look at is maintenance. It will all depend on the dealer going to bat for you.

I think if you do your oil changes every 6,000 miles one year you should be okay. Typically synthetic oil will have no problem lasting a year on a low mileage car. It is the oil filters that are more of the issue. They are paper fiber and they start to break down over time. There are more robust specialty filters designed for longer service intervals that should be better fitted for low mileage. Subaru cannot void your warranty if someone else does the maintenance. You can go to any shop or do it yourself. Just keep a record of all maintenance done.

·
Registered
628 Posts

But what does happen is that inspections need to be done. Brake fluid, for example, is hygroscopic - meaning it will absorb moisture from the air through the microscopic pores in your hoses REGARDLESS of whether you drive the car or not. That's why Subaru recommends a brake fluid flush every 2 1/2 years. It MIGHT be a little overkill, but it's preventative maintenance designed to keep your car running for the 300,000 miles or more that it CAN run.

So ... it's up to you. Officially, yeah, it's every six months or 6,000 miles, and that's what I have to say.
I don't think flushing out the brake lines will make the motor go 300k.. lol but yeah, it doesn't hurt to do it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
In a way yes. If you never flush your brake fluid and the master cylinder goes bad they won't cover it. If you have a failure such as the engine, the first thing the dealer/Subaru Corp is going to look at is maintenance. It will all depend on the dealer going to bat for you.

I think if you do your oil changes every 6,000 miles one year you should be okay. Typically synthetic oil will have no problem lasting a year on a low mileage car. It is the oil filters that are more of the issue. They are paper fiber and they start to break down over time. There are more robust specialty filters designed for longer service intervals that should be better fitted for low mileage. Subaru cannot void your warranty if someone else does the maintenance. You can go to any shop or do it yourself. Just keep a record of all maintenance done.
"Just keep a record of all maintenance done", you can log this in mysubaru.com's maintenance section, and personally I order my stuff online like Amazon so I get a record of the oil/oil filters and stuff if they need proof. Or OCR the receipt if you buy it locally so you have a digital copy.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I went to Mike Shaw Subaru, here in Denver, to purchase a cabin air filter. The price on their website was $19.98. I picked one up at the dealership while I was there and they charged me $39.95. I asked about the price difference and they said it was an "internet special."

Then I responded that the MSRP was $22.95. How can they be charging me near $40? They apologized, but said they could not give me the internet price. I left without the cabin filter.

Moral of the story - be careful at Mike Shaw Subaru. The may overcharge significantly for their maintenance items. Don't just pull blindly pull out your credit card.

I will purchase the item online and pick it up at the dealership. It's a shame they make customers go through such hoops.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I went to Mike Shaw Subaru, here in Denver, to purchase a cabin air filter. The price on their website was $19.98. I picked one up at the dealership while I was there and they charged me $39.95. I asked about the price difference and they said it was an "internet special."

Then I responded that the MSRP was $22.95. How can they be charging me near $40? They apologized, but said they could not give me the internet price. I left without the cabin filter.

Moral of the story - be careful at Mike Shaw Subaru. The may overcharge significantly for their maintenance items. Don't just pull blindly pull out your credit card. I think the personnel in the parts department may have changed over a little and they would rather not think about customer service.
The parts department used to get rave reviews from me and my sons - but not anymore.

I will purchase the item online and pick it up at the dealership. It's a shame they make customers go through such hoops.

Will I ever go there to purchase a new or preowned Subaru - never!!

Dude! I nearly ordered mine from Mike Shaw before Shortline matched their price and told me they would eat the delivery fee. I came back to Mike Shaw, held out my hand to shake and said 'no delievery fee, and I'm yours'....we didn't shake. They wouldn't do it. He said 'come on its only $700'...to which I laughed and said 'come on its only $700'.... I ended up at Shortline.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Dude! I nearly ordered mine from Mike Shaw before Shortline matched their price and told me they would eat the delivery fee. I came back to Mike Shaw, held out my hand to shake and said 'no delievery fee, and I'm yours'....we didn't shake. They wouldn't do it. He said 'come on its only $700'...to which I laughed and said 'come on its only $700'.... I ended up at Shortline.
Great story!! My wife would have said, "That may only be $700 to you, but that is 2 car payments for us."

·
Registered
932 Posts
Great story!! My wife would have said, "That may only be $700 to you, but that is 2 car payments for us."
I prefer to use genuine parts online, and often times I buy enough things that I qualify for a shipping promotion.

I'm happy to DIY some of the easier non-fluid tasks like wipers, air filter, cabin air filter, etc., but I prefer leaving differentials and stuff to the pros. While I'm there they usually are willing to meet or come close to the internet price I find - and usually I'll pay the extra few bucks (but not $20!) for a filter just because they're a brick-and-mortar and I like building a rapport with the parts department people. They have been good to me when I was there for my last couple services - new parts like clips on the intakes, new bolts on the exhaust flange, etc. that cost me $0.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

No, the oil is hygrosopic because it can absorb moisture. It's unusual for oil to be miscible with water but if it does, the fluid will likely to turn into an acidic solution. Old brake fluid are good paint remover because it's acidic.

what type of brake fluid does Subaru use?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts