Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess I'll be calling subaru of america. Took the Ascent on a 1500mile road trip and got a rock chip in the top corner of the windshield. Safelite says they can't get a seal on it to fill.

Indiana does NOT replace windshields free. I'm going to have to pay out of pocket :-(

Worst part is nobody knows how to get the glass! Even my dealer says they don't stock it.

Fun times. I'm enjoying the vehicle and it did great on the trip, but something tells me it would have been cheaper to fly by the time this is done.

G~

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guess I'll be calling subaru of america. Took the Ascent on a 1500mile road trip and got a rock chip in the top corner of the windshield. Safelite says they can't get a seal on it to fill.

Indiana does NOT replace windshields free. I'm going to have to pay out of pocket :-(

Worst part is nobody knows how to get the glass! Even my dealer says they don't stock it.

Fun times. I'm enjoying the vehicle and it did great on the trip, but something tells me it would have been cheaper to fly by the time this is done.

G~
Check with your insurance. I work for country financial and we have an auto glass endorsement that replaces all the glass for free with no deductible. I had the same issue with my 17' XT with eyesight. No one had the glass so my insurance paid the dealer to order and install a new one.

·
Banned
145 Posts
Well the good news is that it will not cost as much as it could.

https://parts.tomwoodsubaru.com/p/subaru__/GLASS-FRONT-WINDOW/72846406/65009XC03A.html

If everything needs to replaced you can add another 100 on. You will need the seals replaced which is about 50 bucks.

So you are looking at 400 to 500 dollars for parts. Another 200 for labor.

Outback and foresters are more expensive.

Check your insurance. Most companies will replace the windshield if the chip can not be sealed. It should be under you comprehensive coverage section.

·
Registered
56 Posts
One of the main reason have been paying for Geico Mechanical coverage (about $54 extra/6 months) is that it has windshield coverage with a $50 deductible. A couple of years back, had a couple of windshield and back window broken and paid out of pocket $500 so ever since, obtained and kept the Geico.

Not sure if the policy is the same for every state though.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Quote for $395 Parts. Waiting for a labor quote. Could have been worse.

You need to make sure the windshield is eyesight compatible. You'll also need to have the eyesight system re-calibrated at the dealership. $1080 was the price I was quoted for a new windshield + calibration. Came upon it by accident when I was getting my sunroof glass ordered.

·
Registered
411 Posts
You need to make sure the windshield is eyesight compatible. You'll also need to have the eyesight system re-calibrated at the dealership. $1080 was the price I was quoted for a new windshield + calibration. Came upon it by accident when I was getting my sunroof glass ordered.
Note to self.. avoid rock chips for as long as possible!

Reactions: Nemesis099

·
Registered
160 Posts
We just had the windshield replaced in my wife's 2017 OB with eyesight. We were told that since eyesight does not connect to the windshield and as long as the cameras are not moved during installation that a calibration is not necessary. I guess we will see how things respond when she drives home from the office today. I guess some dealers have been gouging, as our insurance company stated they have seen calibration estimates come back at $100-500 but have found it is seldom needed.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Why would the state pay for replacement of windshields? Colorado would be in the same dire financial situation as California if they had to pay for windshields. I only know of insurance coverage that pays for windshields.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Where are people finding glass so cheap? Is it 3rd Party? When I called safelight about a small imperfection in The glass I was told out Subaru glass is over $1000

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
3 Posts
One of the main reason have been paying for Geico Mechanical coverage (about $54 extra/6 months) is that it has windshield coverage with a $50 deductible. A couple of years back, had a couple of windshield and back window broken and paid out of pocket $500 so ever since, obtained and kept the Geico.

Not sure if the policy is the same for every state though.

@Dunopsum have you had to use the Geico mechanical breakdown coverage for anything else in the past? Are they pretty good about paying claims on that? They offered it to us on our new Camry last year and it is cheap enough that I figured why not have it, but its hard to find a lot of documentation on it...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts