Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the third row passenger and driver side seatbelts in my 2019 Ascent. COVID puppy thought they were fun to chew on. Subaru is going to charge $950 to replace them. The seatbelts themselves only cost $70/each. Has anyone done this themselves? I’m very handy, my dad was a mechanic, my father in law is a contractor, and my husband is a surgeon. Think we could manage and save some money?! Sounds like the beginning of a joke. Also the pup is fine!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,857 Posts
I"m guessing this is a very labor intensive process which is why the dealer number is so high. Consider where those seatbelts connect into the vehicle...panel removal, seat removal, etc., all are going to come into play. Since these are also key safety items on your vehicle, be sure you are able to ascertain things like torgue requirements for fasteners, etc. So yea, you may be able to do it, but make sure you have your "ducks in a row"... ;)

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I"m guessing this is a very labor intensive process which is why the dealer number is so high. Consider where those seatbelts connect into the vehicle...panel removal, seat removal, etc., all are going to come into play. Since these are also key safety items on your vehicle, be sure you are able to ascertain things like torgue requirements for fasteners, etc. So yea, you may be able to do it, but make sure you have your "ducks in a row"... ;)
I doubt it is difficult. More likely owners would be intimidated to try due to it involving safety. I have removed the third row with ease if that is part of the process. those who have the tech manual will have access to the full process in great detail.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Is there a liability issue, if you were to sell the car and the next owner had little Timmy in the third row, and the seatbelts didn't operate properly with your installation? I realize the likelihood of this happening is statistically low, but it's still a remote possibility.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
629 Posts
I dont think that liability is restricted to the seat belt. What happens if you didnt tighten the lug nuts then sold the car, etc. If the owner does everything as they should, then there should be no issues doing it yourself. Just do it the right way.

·
Registered
573 Posts
As long as you don't have to remove the headliner I can't imagine it's all that difficult. Be aware of airbag placement and if you are going to need to disconnect any of them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'd be interested in a write-up if you bite this off as we have almost exactly the same issue with our Ascent right down to the COVID puppy. Only difference is we only have to replace the passenger side seatbelt.

·
Administrator
10,955 Posts
I need to replace the third row passenger and driver side seatbelts in my 2019 Ascent. COVID puppy thought they were fun to chew on. Subaru is going to charge $950 to replace them. The seatbelts themselves only cost $70/each. Has anyone done this themselves? I’m very handy, my dad was a mechanic, my father in law is a contractor, and my husband is a surgeon. Think we could manage and save some money?! Sounds like the beginning of a joke. Also the pup is fine!
This...
IF you are mechanically inclined, you can do it. It isn't difficult - it just takes a lot of time. Buy extra clips for all the trim pieces you need to take off, because you will break some. Get a cheap but highly rated trim tool set from Amazon to use to pop out broken clips to replace them (or use a suitable tool). Most definitely use a good torque wrench to torque everything.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Since your husband is a surgeon, what's the issue. I'm sure he charges a reasonable fee for his services.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts