Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Unfortunately, I have to replace the windshield on my pretty new 2020 Ascent. We just bought it last month.

Here is the quote from the dealer:
$250 Labor
$625 Recalibriation
$453 Windshield
$156 Trim and Moulding

That's almost $1500 without taxes??? That's insane! I also have a high insurance deductible... $1,000, so insurance will not help much. I am interested to know how much people are paying around the country? I am in the San Francisco Bay Area.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,900 Posts
That sounds high...probably should be closer to about $900. Perhaps you need to shop around a little more with other Subaru dealers as well as Safelite specifying OEM and recalibration. If you are a member of AAA, you may also be able to get additional discounts for something like this.

BTW, many insurance companies have a simple "glass" rider that can be added to the vehicle insurance that covers windscreens at a low or no deductible. With many windshields being a lot more expensive these days, especially if there is a calibration requirement for things like EyeSight, rain-sensing technologies, etc., the little bit of premium may be worth it. I put that on both my Ascent and my spouse's MY16 Outback Limited with Eyesight for exactly that reason.

·
Super Moderator
2,454 Posts
Or carry a lower deductible. Hindsight...

I don’t remember the exact number but it was right around 1000 last summer when I needed one, but ended up getting it filled rather than replaced, sans insurance.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Hi All,
Unfortunately, I have to replace the windshield on my pretty new 2020 Ascent. We just bought it last month.

Here is the quote from the dealer:
$250 Labor
$625 Recalibriation
$453 Windshield
$156 Trim and Moulding

That's almost $1500 without taxes??? That's insane! I also have a high insurance deductible... $1,000, so insurance will not help much. I am interested to know how much people are paying around the country? I am in the San Francisco Bay Area.
I just had my windshield replaced. I paid my $250 deductable insurance (the insurance paid out of comprehensive coverage) and I paid $220 for the re-calibration at the dealership which is in process of being reimbursed to me since I already met my deductible. None of what you were quoted makes sense to me. I did not see the details of how much insurance paid to the glass installer but I seem to recall (via conversation) it was about $1000-$1200. $625 for re-calibration makes no sense whatsoever. I would check on this price. The windshield price is very low and also makes no sense. I have a Limited trim so I had the extras in the windshield and of course it has to be OEM. Maybe they got the categories for the pricing mixed up. The labor for the re-calibration was about one hour. The labor for the windshield was about two man hours. Since my glass installer does not do the calibration (at this time they do not have the equipment) I had to make a separate appointment with the dealer. I had to pay the dealer out of pocket and submit that to my insurance for reimbursement. As a bit of background, my replacement came about after a small rock chip in the windshield that I had filled for free from my insurance the next morning. While my Ascent was sitting at the dealer for a few weeks waiting on a part, the chip fill came out and the crack expanded (probably due to weather changes). I went to pick up my Ascent after they repaired it and noticed the large crack.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
My windsheild was around 750 from the dealer including recalibration. The glass company wanted just under 1,000 for the same.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
My windsheild was around 750 from the dealer including recalibration. The glass company wanted just under 1,000 for the same.
my dealer contracted out the glass replacement to a glass company (they do not complete this repair in house and had not heard that other dealers take it on in house but I suppose it is possible. Do you know if they replaced in in-house? There also will be some difference in the glass cost due to trim level.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
1st of all, OMG. when the heck did the price of replacing a windshield become insane. think a friend recently told me the same with Hyundai santa fe.
2nd, this is going to make me even more crabby now when someone cuts too close in front of me on the road.
3rd, how long before we get to buy a screen protector for our windshields?
The cost legitimately increased when we collectively wanted that piece of glass to achieve something other than see through and block the wind and dirt. Now we want it to reduce noise, not kill us in a crash, shade from the sun, provide a larger view, reduce weight, seal from wind and water. The windshield is also contributing to the reduced weight of the vehicle by becoming part of the structure.

·
Registered
731 Posts
^^ Nonsense. My ‘14 Forester XT’s windshield was $280 installed. My ‘10 BMW 135i’s windshield was $320 installed. Both were high quality glass installed perfectly.
I had a Subaru that had heating elements in it and it was in the $350 installed range.
WTF is this $156 for trim n molding.

·
Super Moderator
3,900 Posts
Did your MY14 Forester have Eyesight, BroDoze? That's what kicks the cost up for current generation Subarus the most when it comes to replacement of the windscreen glass.

That said, in May of this year, a replacement windscreen for the MY11 Outback Limited that we have our daughter using was $386 including sales tax and that was AAA discounted. It was less than the dealer quote and only $35 of that was for the privilege of having it done in our driveway. No EyeSight, either.

·
Super Moderator
3,900 Posts
The optical clarity requirement for the glass and required recalibration of the system for the replacement glass adds to the cost. I'm not sure what the trim and molding thing is unless it's part of how the quote the OP got was up into the "fleecing" range rather than true costs. Others, I believe, have posted costs in the $900 range for the parts and labor required for the Ascent windshield replacement.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
^^ Nonsense. My ‘14 Forester XT’s windshield was $280 installed. My ‘10 BMW 135i’s windshield was $320 installed. Both were high quality glass installed perfectly.
I had a Subaru that had heating elements in it and it was in the $350 installed range.
WTF is this $156 for trim n molding.
I respectfully disagree. The Ascent windshield is completely different than the 2014 Forester. The Ascent uses a laminated glass and in my trim level has a wiper defroster build in. The 2019 Ascent and 2020 have no alternative to OEM. I do not beleive the 2014 Forester used Laminated glass and depending on the trim probably did not have a wiper defroster in it. I do not know if you installed OEM or after market glass. The Ascent windshield is much larger than the Forester windshield. All of these differences substantially impact the replacement cost.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
my dealer contracted out the glass replacement to a glass company (they do not complete this repair in house and had not heard that other dealers take it on in house but I suppose it is possible. Do you know if they replaced in in-house? There also will be some difference in the glass cost due to trim level.
My dealer replaced the glass in-house.

The difference in price by trim level is because the touring has a rain sensor to deal with. FYI mine is a touring.

One reason the Ascent windshield is high is because it Is new and there are not too many of them out there. A Chevy or Ford pickup has the least expensive windshield because there are millions of them. It makes sense for glass companies to make large lots which drives the price down. Also more companies are competing for your business and that drives margins down. Simple economics - law of supply and demand. Demand low, supply lower, prices high. Demand high, supply higher, prices lower.

As soon as there are as many Ascents as there are Outbacks on the road the windshield prices will then be comparable.

·
Super Moderator
2,454 Posts
how long before we get to buy a screen protector for our windshields?
If only... of course that would interfere with eyesight

maybe they’ll make the windshield out of the same ‘unbreakable’ glass as the Tesla cyber truck in the future ?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Or carry a lower deductible. Hindsight...

I don’t remember the exact number but it was right around 1000 last summer when I needed one, but ended up getting it filled rather than replaced, sans insurance.
Car repairs are so expensive these days that high deductibles don't save you the kind of money they did in the past. I think it was about $25-35 a year difference between a $500 deductible and a $250 dollar deductible for us.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts