Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a used Ascent and the dealer could only come up with one key fob.

Does the vehicle come new with two key fobs and a spare valet key?

I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to get extra keys that would have come with the vehicle and not spend a fortune. Any advice from existing owners who have had to replace keys would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
The Ascent with keyless entry and push button start comes new with two fobs. Both fobs have an emergency key designed only to unlock/lock the driver's door and the glove box, there is no separate valet key. You will need the key plate number that came with the fobs to register a new replacement fob. See page 120 in the owner's manual for more detailed information.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,851 Posts
The previous poster is correct...Ascent with push button start comes with two key fobs from the factory. The dealer that sold you the vehicle should make arrangements to make you whole on that, IMHO. These things are not inexpensive in any way, shape or form. "Valet" keys are kinda like dodo birds these days... ;) The last vehicle we had with one was a MY11 Outback.

Reactions: Andy1

·
Registered
49 Posts
They come new with two key fobs. If you were to loose the one you have you are SOL. It is really expensive at that point since you no longer have one to clone. I bought a third one and had it virginized then the dealer cloned it. It is now stored away from home in a safe spot. I was told it is 4 figures if you don't have one to clone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. The dealer I bought it from isn't a subaru dealer, the transaction was done and I went to drive off and he only hands me one key. I'm like "where is the other key?" He couldn't find another one. I was pretty annoyed.

Unfortunately the one key doesn't have the metal tag with the code on it either. Can I buy a key fob online and find a locksmith to cut it and program it or will I need to go do all this with a Subaru dealer?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would be more worried about getting an second Fob and getting it programed to your car. The key part is a secondary worry, IMHO. I was able to buy a spare on eBay and got it virginized there. They sell them ready to go too. Then I took it to the dealer to get it cloned.
Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, found a Key FOB on Ebay for $60, now to find a locksmith. Their listing says:

"Programming: This will require programming by a professional automotive locksmith.IMPORTANT: Please verify you have a locksmith who can/will program this. If you take the item to the dealership and they lock it up, you will be liable for an unlock fee."

Not sure what they mean by the dealer locking it up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Make sure it has been unlocked. They wipe out previous programing so it can be reprogrammed to your car. Dealers won't do it for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That looks good and the price is great too. Better than what I paid.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
I suggest before you spend any money that you first talk with the dealer you purchased the car from. Ask them if they are willing to contact the previous owner to see if they have the second fob and/the key plate. If they can't, or are unwilling to help, then I suggest you talk to a Subaru dealership to get their two cents worth.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts