Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another problem now with the windshield again for my 2020 Ascent Touring. Got my windshield replaced due to a crack end of Nov 2019 and within two weeks had water leakage issue that took almost 3 weeks to get fixed via SOA and dealership. Got the car back in first week of Jan 2020. Everything was fine for the past few weeks. Rain was constant during these days during my ride to work and home. Last week noticed on the outside of windshield streaks like pattern. Initially thought that might be the rain and the dirt from the commute. Took to hand car wash and detailing requesting them to clean it. The auto spa spend considerable amount of time trying to get the windshield clean. They made sure it was not inside the windshield. Tried different glass stain cleaners, car wash soap and dish soap, even tried with blades to get it cleaned. Nothing worked out. The owner of the car wash mentioned that the streak was neither on the outside or inside but in between the glass. Two curved sheets of glass with a plastic layer laminated between them. He said it could be poor quality of the glasses and asked to go to the dealer. Drove straight to the dealer from the car wash and showed the service manager who was clueless as usual. I am kinda fed up with the dealer for doing a mediocre job. It was the original Subaru windshield as per him. Everything went downhill from the moment the windshield replacement with this dealership. The service manager asked me to contact the SOA and he will be doing the same on Monday.

Did anyone face something like this before?? Please help with suggestions.

Will attach pictures of it below.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Those are awful. I dont know why he wants you to contact SOA. It should be very clear that there is a defect with the windshield.. he should just have it replaced as defective, end of story.

Reactions: packout

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,127 Posts
Have you tried clay bar for windshields or #0000 Extra fine steel wool?
Not going to be helpful if the defect is between the two layers of glass... ;)

Reactions: packout

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Another problem now with the windshield again for my 2020 Ascent Touring. Got my windshield replaced due to a crack end of Nov 2019 and within two weeks had water leakage issue that took almost 3 weeks to get fixed via SOA and dealership. Got the car back in first week of Jan 2020. Everything was fine for the past few weeks. Rain was constant during these days during my ride to work and home. Last week noticed on the outside of windshield streaks like pattern. Initially thought that might be the rain and the dirt from the commute. Took to hand car wash and detailing requesting them to clean it. The auto spa spend considerable amount of time trying to get the windshield clean. They made sure it was not inside the windshield. Tried different glass stain cleaners, car wash soap and dish soap, even tried with blades to get it cleaned. Nothing worked out. The owner of the car wash mentioned that the streak was neither on the outside or inside but in between the glass. Two curved sheets of glass with a plastic layer laminated between them. He said it could be poor quality of the glasses and asked to go to the dealer. Drove straight to the dealer from the car wash and showed the service manager who was clueless as usual. I am kinda fed up with the dealer for doing a mediocre job. It was the original Subaru windshield as per him. Everything went downhill from the moment the windshield replacement with this dealership. The service manager asked me to contact the SOA and he will be doing the same on Monday.

I agree with sloheim. If it inside the windshield they should promptly order a new windshield. These things occur occasionally with all glass manufacturers albeit rarely. In addition, I would call SOA and complain about the dealer's response. I would also not be using that dealer for future work.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with sloheim. If it inside the windshield they should promptly order a new windshield. These things occur occasionally with all glass manufacturers albeit rarely. In addition, I would call SOA and complain about the dealer's response. I would also not be using that dealer for future work.
I already complained to SOA about the dealer during the water issue. Not sure what actions was taken by SOA.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Not going to be helpful if the defect is between the two layers of glass... ;)
The detail shop is likely making excuses of why they can't get the hard water stains off the glass.

If water somehow got in between the glass on the plastic, then there would be a crack somewhere in the glass that would cause it, and cause a complete separation of the glass and the vinyl so that water can flow down in between the layers.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The detail shop is likely making excuses of why they can't get the hard water stains off the glass.

If water somehow got in between the glass on the plastic, then there would be a crack somewhere in the glass that would cause it, and cause a complete separation of the glass and the vinyl so that water can flow down in between the layers.
Does it look like hard water spots on the glass? This is the first time I am seeing such a thing.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I already complained to SOA about the dealer during the water issue. Not sure what actions was taken by SOA.
Well then this is yet another and maybe the dealer will choose to get their act together. SOA needs to know in order to motivate the dealer. The dealer will begin to feel the heat. The windshield is a no brainer. Maybe the dealer simply does not like to complete the lower paid warranty work. Oh well, too bad, this is part of the responsibilities they agreed to when becoming a dealer.

·
Registered
66 Posts

I had the same exact problem. We bought the car, drove it off the lot, and had a heavy Florida rain. We couldn't see through the windshield. We called the dealer within 5 minutes of driving off the lot. Then a comment was made to break the windshield and have insurance pay for it. WHAT???? I hope he was kidding. The pictures are below. The dealer kept cleaning the window and making it worse. Thought it was something they dripped on the windshield. I told them it was a defect. After contacting Subaru of America and escalating it up the line, I finally got satisfaction. It took over six months and 3 levels of people. Never listen to the first person that answers the phone. The SOA tried to blame it on us. Same streaks. Also the laminated windows (front driver & passenger) had thumb prints between the glass. They replaced all three pieces of glass. Here are the pictures. I can't locate the windshield pic that shows the streaks. When I find it I will post Subaru Passenger Window Defect 2.jpg Subaru Passenger Window Defect.jpg

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I had the same exact problem. We bought the car, drove it off the lot, and had a heavy Florida rain. We couldn't see through the windshield. We called the dealer within 5 minutes of driving off the lot. Then a comment was made to break the windshield and have insurance pay for it. WHAT???? I hope he was kidding. The pictures are below. The dealer kept cleaning the window and making it worse. Thought it was something they dripped on the windshield. I told them it was a defect. After contacting Subaru of America and escalating it up the line, I finally got satisfaction. It took over six months and 3 levels of people. Never listen to the first person that answers the phone. The SOA tried to blame it on us. Same streaks. Also the laminated windows (front driver & passenger) had thumb prints between the glass. They replaced all three pieces of glass. Here are the pictures. I can't locate the windshield pic that shows the streaks. When I find it I will post View attachment 3218 View attachment 3219
Thanks. I am contacting the person from SOA who assisted me last time. Was it Michael Guerriero who helped you?

·
Administrator
7,757 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
My original glass on a 2019 looks like I was in a sand storm. Millions of little pits. When the sun is shining just right it's actually a little difficult to see clearly. Haven't made the time to inquire about it. Anyone else?

·
Registered
66 Posts
My original glass on a 2019 looks like I was in a sand storm. Millions of little pits. When the sun is shining just right it's actually a little difficult to see clearly. Haven't made the time to inquire about it. Anyone else?
Yes, I also had that effect in my defective glass. Looked like millions of sparkles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Streak like patterns
It appears like water got in-between the two pieces of glass and ran down. Not sure how that would happen though. The other pictures of the side windows definitely look like moisture has gotten in-between the two pieces. It looks like a sealed window that the seal broke and is allowing moisture inside. Good luck!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have exactly the same issue with a 2020, built in 9/2019--when sun catches it exactly the right way, thousands of "pits" across the front windshield. Tried numerous cleaners on inside and out, but, they are actually marks in the glass.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts