Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just replaced my H11 halogens with LEDs.

I had originally bought these from Amazon for my 2017 Impreza Sport but we traded it in, so I had to repurchase these. But I found that they are cheaper on eBay! I had really good results with my previous purchase on this product so I decided to give it anther shot. $29 bucks and 2 days later I received it.. the beam looks good and it appears brighter than the OEM H11 halogens.

3 years warranty as well so I can't complain. Off course, I know there's other LEDs or HID's that you can purchase but I didn't feel like spending more than $40 bucks for now.

Hopefully this helps someone.

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
Touring with LEDs has a special feature. Reading the Touring manual, it appears that there is a special light leveling in Touring. Since LED generate more light they may blind oncoming drivers. This feature (per manual) positions LED lights so they don't blind.

I wonder if LEDs lights without such leveling can blind oncoming traffic.

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
I just replaced my H11 halogens with LEDs.

I had originally bought these from Amazon for my 2017 Impreza Sport but we traded it in, so I had to repurchase these. But I found that they are cheaper on eBay! I had really good results with my previous purchase on this product so I decided to give it anther shot. $29 bucks and 2 days later I received it.. the beam looks good and it appears brighter than the OEM H11 halogens.

3 years warranty as well so I can't complain. Off course, I know there's other LEDs or HID's that you can purchase but I didn't feel like spending more than $40 bucks for now.

Hopefully this helps someone.
How do you access the headlights connection? Also, do you get a sense that these are blinding to oncoming traffic?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have set of BEAMTECH , i don't like it at all..., i don't think they bright at all

i got NAO LED now in my car ... they noisy but at 30Ft i get 3x more LUX
I think the brightness is fine as is, I just need something a little brighter than stock. And I would hate to drive with a fan noise running all the time.

How do you access the headlights connection? Also, do you get a sense that these are blinding to oncoming traffic?
Nope, honestly no one's flashed me. Both bulbs low/high are pretty easy to access once you open the hood of the vehicle. You do not have to take any components off to take out the bulbs.

Touring with LEDs has a special feature. Reading the Touring manual, it appears that there is a special light leveling in Touring. Since LED generate more light they may blind oncoming drivers. This feature (per manual) positions LED lights so they don't blind.

I wonder if LEDs lights without such leveling can blind oncoming traffic.
I don't think they will blind anyone, for one thing the light has a clean cut off - I would worry only if there was extra light spillage outside to the top of the cut off line. Second, my stock HID's on my 16 Silverado doesn't have any "self leveling" and HID's are supposed to be brighter than LEDs.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Was it just a simple unplug and remove the hold bulbs, and plug in and install the new bulbs?

Found instructions for this in the owner's manual, page 474. It says on the right side, there are some screws to undo clips on the air intake duct. On the left side, a screw to remove the clip of the washer tank. Then it is a simple matter of unplug and turning counterclockwise to remove bulb.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does the Limited + uses H11 socket LED bulbs? If so, what brand does Subaru uses?
EDIT: Sorry, I don't know about Limited/LED, but stock Premium/Base model uses OEM is OSRAM H11 55watt

Was it just a simple unplug and remove the hold bulbs, and plug in and install the new bulbs?
Yes.. for the low beams H11 is simply unplug and turn to the left to loosen, to install do the opposite. You do not need to take anything off for the low beams.

Found instructions for this in the owner's manual, page 474. It says on the right side, there are some screws to undo clips on the air intake duct. On the left side, a screw to remove the clip of the washer tank. Then it is a simple matter of unplug and turning counterclockwise to remove bulb.
I think this is the high beams which uses 9005, you have to undo the two Phillips screw and then gently pop it out. And Maybe undo the air filter duct, but not for the low beams which are the H11's.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
You can see some light glaring over the cutoff line, known as the "squirrel finders". Their intention is to light up traffic signs effectively without being too bright. The pics shown look OK. I think when people go significantly brighter (55w HID for example) than stock, the squirrel finders end up being way too bright and cause problems for other drivers.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
on average, based on real world experience, how long do those aftermarket LED bulbs last - 3+yrs?
Don't know, but I'm sure longer than stock bulbs. Besides there's a three year warranty on it. Assuming the companies still in business by then.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You can see some light glaring over the cutoff line, known as the "squirrel finders". Their intention is to light up traffic signs effectively without being too bright. The pics shown look OK. I think when people go significantly brighter (55w HID for example) than stock, the squirrel finders end up being way too bright and cause problems for other drivers.
I haven't driven it much at night but I will someday. Mostly day driving. I'll update this forum if I get flashed. But I highly doubt it. At least I flash others to inform them,I hope they do the same.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I haven't driven it much at night but I will someday. Mostly day driving. I'll update this forum if I get flashed. But I highly doubt it. At least I flash others to inform them,I hope they do the same.
i don't think you get flashed , cut off line looks fine , most projectors do fine with HID and LED replacements ...
but with BEAMTECH they only looked "OK" if you on the road by yourself, every time i was on the road with traffic in apposite lane(and it is most of the time) ... the eyes adjust from the lights of upcoming traffic and you stop seen your light .. to the point it makes me question if my lights are on at all ...

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i don't think you get flashed , cut off line looks fine , most projectors do fine with HID and LED replacements ...
but with BEAMTECH they only looked "OK" if you on the road by yourself, every time i was on the road with traffic in apposite lane(and it is most of the time) ... the eyes adjust from the lights of upcoming traffic and you stop seen your light .. to the point it makes me question if my lights are on at all ...
Interesting.. ebay has %15 off anything today, probably try to get an extra HID or LED to play with.. :devil:

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Keep in mind that the cut-off is different on each side (due to oncoming traffic), so, the appearance of left and right will be different. I did this once a while back, and was too lazy to flip the bulbs from left to right to see the differences with the different cut-offs on each side.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts