Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Vermont and had 6 of us plus luggage, so needed a big vehicle. Did not want a minivan so paid a bit extra for a large SUV. Ended up getting a 2020 Nissan Armada.
Ironic moment: Flew form Phoenix to Boston Logan airport. Rent car. Car comes with AZ plates!!!

First thing I noticed was it is a lot taller inside. I'm short (5'7") but noticed a ton of headroom compared to the Ascent. Didn't measure but it seems like at least 6" higher up there. Pretty sure the Armada is as tall outside as my Ascent is with my 2" lift.

Next thing, the infotainment system. OMG it's awful. Looks like the 2021 finally got a refresh. No AA or Carplay support. Built in NAV worked but was super slow (5 secs or more pause between selections. NAV display was confusing, small and hard to follow. I should have taken a picture! Didn't find a way to play music off the phone either (not even bluetooth though it may have been there). I know people complain about the Ascent's system but it was light years ahead of the Armada!

Steering felt floaty and vague. At speed on the highways (75mph+) bumps would upset the car and it'd wiggle over 1/4 lane or so and need corrected. Definitely not confidence inspiring. Turn in was not predictable so the winding highways in NH and VT made for a tiring driving experience. After a 4 hour trip I was more tired than when I drove 15 hours straight from Texas back to Phoenix.

It feels like a truck and not car (like the Ascent does). In the Ascent I can carve up and down winding roads at high speed and with confidence. Heck, I'd have driven it on the race track if I hadn't just put AT tires on it one time.

The V8 engine had power, but seemed wimpy down low. I had to stomp on it to feel like it was accelerating the same as the Ascent. Some of that is the difference in throttle feel as the Ascent's gas pedal is very light, whereas the Armada (and many others) take a lot more push on the pedal for the same amount of applied throttle. But even taking that into account the engine revs had to get up above 3,500 before it really felt like it was pulling. It also doesn't get up into the power as quickly as the Ascent.

MPG - I managed 16mpg with 95% highway driving. Caveat, most was at 80mph or so. But driving the same way in the Ascent would yield me 23-25mpg (before my lift and AT tires, now more around 20-23mpg). It took a couple days before I took time to reset the MPG counter though. It didn't reset with the trip odo like most do. I was driving quite a bit, but it still felt like I was always stopping at the pump!

Cargo room - I was surprised when we loaded the luggage. Luckily everyone packed light so we had 2 large bags, 1 small bag and 3 backpacks. With that, the rear cargo was FULL! It's definitely not bigger than the Ascent and even felt a little smaller.

What did I like about the Armada? It feels big and imposing, like you're king of the road. Even a bit more than my lifted Subaru. The kids nicknamed it the tank! Other than that, I just kept wishing I had my Subaru instead. I would've saved money on gas, been less tired after driving and enjoyed it so much more. I couldn't look around at the scenery as much because I had to pay attention to the lane wandering ways of the Armada.

That's my 3rd large rental.
Chevy Suburban
Ford Expedition
Nissan Armada

Of the 3, I think the Suburban was the best. But I'd choose my Subaru over them hands down.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,722 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the Armada is a sister to their Titan pick-em-up truck. The Infinity version is also "yuge"...

·
Registered
796 Posts
I liked the Suburban the best. But I like my Ascent better.
The newer Armadas are much nicer with more current up to date amenities to keep with the times.It's a beast of a vehicle.
*My response to this thread was totally off ,as if we were talking purchasing...my apologies.

·
Registered
32 Posts
For large SUV's, the Yukon XL / Suburbans are the way to go. The storage room with the 3rd row up is a huge plus. We rented a 2020 Yukon XL for a trip from the Bay Area to Eugene OR and it made on one tank of gas! And for a SUV that size, it drives very easy. We would've bought a Yukon XL or a Suburban if it wasn't so expensive.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Went to Vermont and had 6 of us plus luggage, so needed a big vehicle. Did not want a minivan so paid a bit extra for a large SUV. Ended up getting a 2020 Nissan Armada.
Ironic moment: Flew form Phoenix to Boston Logan airport. Rent car. Car comes with AZ plates!!!

First thing I noticed was it is a lot taller inside. I'm short (5'7") but noticed a ton of headroom compared to the Ascent. Didn't measure but it seems like at least 6" higher up there. Pretty sure the Armada is as tall outside as my Ascent is with my 2" lift.

Next thing, the infotainment system. OMG it's awful. Looks like the 2021 finally got a refresh. No AA or Carplay support. Built in NAV worked but was super slow (5 secs or more pause between selections. NAV display was confusing, small and hard to follow. I should have taken a picture! Didn't find a way to play music off the phone either (not even bluetooth though it may have been there). I know people complain about the Ascent's system but it was light years ahead of the Armada!

Steering felt floaty and vague. At speed on the highways (75mph+) bumps would upset the car and it'd wiggle over 1/4 lane or so and need corrected. Definitely not confidence inspiring. Turn in was not predictable so the winding highways in NH and VT made for a tiring driving experience. After a 4 hour trip I was more tired than when I drove 15 hours straight from Texas back to Phoenix.

It feels like a truck and not car (like the Ascent does). In the Ascent I can carve up and down winding roads at high speed and with confidence. Heck, I'd have driven it on the race track if I hadn't just put AT tires on it one time.

The V8 engine had power, but seemed wimpy down low. I had to stomp on it to feel like it was accelerating the same as the Ascent. Some of that is the difference in throttle feel as the Ascent's gas pedal is very light, whereas the Armada (and many others) take a lot more push on the pedal for the same amount of applied throttle. But even taking that into account the engine revs had to get up above 3,500 before it really felt like it was pulling. It also doesn't get up into the power as quickly as the Ascent.

MPG - I managed 16mpg with 95% highway driving. Caveat, most was at 80mph or so. But driving the same way in the Ascent would yield me 23-25mpg (before my lift and AT tires, now more around 20-23mpg). It took a couple days before I took time to reset the MPG counter though. It didn't reset with the trip odo like most do. I was driving quite a bit, but it still felt like I was always stopping at the pump!

Cargo room - I was surprised when we loaded the luggage. Luckily everyone packed light so we had 2 large bags, 1 small bag and 3 backpacks. With that, the rear cargo was FULL! It's definitely not bigger than the Ascent and even felt a little smaller.

What did I like about the Armada? It feels big and imposing, like you're king of the road. Even a bit more than my lifted Subaru. The kids nicknamed it the tank! Other than that, I just kept wishing I had my Subaru instead. I would've saved money on gas, been less tired after driving and enjoyed it so much more. I couldn't look around at the scenery as much because I had to pay attention to the lane wandering ways of the Armada.

That's my 3rd large rental.
Chevy Suburban
Ford Expedition
Nissan Armada

Of the 3, I think the Suburban was the best. But I'd choose my Subaru over them hands down.
Have you driven a 4Runner before? I had a 2021 4Runner rental for a week last month and I forgot how it rides (I used to own one). I think there's something about the rear suspension w/ solid axles and stiff suspension (compare to Ascent) that makes the car feels like a boat. I think all trucks suppose to feel like that bc of the ladder frame and solid axle.

When I came back and drove the Ascent, I did not miss the 4Runner one bit.... Lol. But I still need to fix my front struts, it's still bottoming out very frequent though... too soft

1 - 7 of 7 Posts