Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Removing cargo rails

11K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  IDbound 
#1 ·
Serious looker here. Never owned a Subaru before but was really impressed by test driving an Ascent several months ago. So here is my question. Since I won't expect to haul anything, has anyone tried removing the top mounted cargo rails? Sometimes they are not meant to be removed and leave holes, etc. I think my Jeep Cherokee had them and they didn't seem to affect fuel mileage or make any extra wind noise. But I have read here that some think they are creating extra wind noise.

#3 ·
Yea, they aren't designed to be removed. If they are anything like the ones on the Outback, they are inset into the body and are held down by I think 6 or 8 bolts on each side. You have to drop the head liner to access the mounting bolts. There are quite a few threads on the Outback thread that covers it in depth. The link below shows someone that replaced them with a low profile option.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-2019/381794-clean-roof-rail-system.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.