Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Removing Captains seats

26K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  Jimmy2021 
#1 ·
Hi

I have had my ascent for 24 hours. I LOVE it. But I guess the fold down bench seat would have been better for dogs and dog crates.

Too late now.

So Has anyone actually removed the second row?

Were there sensor issues?

Should I get the dealer to remove them? Or can I do this myself.

Don't want to screw up my brand new beautiful car- the the floor space would be awesome and I don't need the seating capacity.

best,

S

See less See more
#2 ·
There is indeed wiring connected to those seats. There's a thread where people considered it. I don't know if any of them actually succeeded, but you will find the parts drawings in that thread, which may help.

#3 ·
I removed the 2nd row bench seat in my base Ascent Premium and replaced it with a platform at floor level. I am working toward rigging the car for long haul camping trips towing a small camper and I want as much room for dogs and gear as possible. The bench seat removal in the model I have was easy and there are no electrical hooks (no seat belt or air bag sensors for seat occupancy, and no heated seats wiring). I think it would be equally easy with the captain chairs. If you have a model with rear heated seats I assume there would be wiring for that, but it should be a simple to disconnect connector. I was able to bolt two 2x4 in the two center seat track depressions using the bolts for the seat. I then attached a 3/4 birch plywood panel to the 2x4. I was able to replace most of the trim piece with the platform in place except for the two for the center front bolts and two for the center rear bolts (the ones were the 2x4 run).

The bench seat is heavy, so one positive consequence of seat removal is an increase in payload. I need to weight the seats and the platform and see just what the net gain is.

#9 ·
After asking the dealership if there were any sensor issues I needed to be concerned about (they said no. - there's just the wiring), I had my local garage remove the seats (so that I wouldn't screw up the wiring). I bought an inexpensive floor mat from Home Depot, turned it over (vinyl side up) and covered the floor/seat tracks with it. It is now PERFECT for putting my large dog crate and/or other gear in that space. My other Labrador (who just had knee surgery, and has to go with me EVERYWHERE) gets the back cargo space (with the cargo separator). It takes an Allen wrench to remove the cargo separator so that the 3rd row seats can be used - which is kind of a hassle, but since I rarely have back seat passengers, this isn't really a problem.

#10 ·
I took advantage of this covid 19 situation and finally got myself a 2020 Ascent Primuim after reading the posts on this forum. I needed a car that I could remove a seat for my service dog, but also haul stuff and passengers. I had my local shop take the seat out which ran me $50, and then I built a platform for her so the ground is level. Once the stores open up I'll go get a dog bed that will better fit the spot than the one I currently have. There was only wiring and no sensors in my seat. I've had the seat out for about a week with no issues. Next stop is the vinyl shop next week to get this car turned into my Jurassic park car of my dreams ?

#11 ·
That seems to be a good solution for your pooch, harleygirl'...be sure you have a good, secure latch point for a harness to protect your friend, too. It's not just about comfort.

#14 ·
Took this on a few weeks ago. As already stated, pretty easy to remove the captain's chairs. I went for a skid-proof style platform and extremely happy with how it turned out:

Started with a 50" x 36" plywood base. Traced out the corners to be cutout with a brown paper bag and then to a piece of cardboard. Traced it on to the plywood and cut pout with a jigsaw. Bought a $30 Utility Rug from Wal-Mart and glued the rug side to the wood. Wrapped/glued/screwed in to the bottom side to secure it.