Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Remove Lift Gate Trim Around Smart Mirror Camera, Brake light strobe

I was given a device that makes the high brake light flash for a few seconds when you step on the brake pedal. I have tapped into the high brake light wires (+,-) just outside the housing on other cars. I have a Touring with the Smart Mirror camera in the back window. Removing the plastic trim piece across the top of the window on the lift gate of the Ascent should give me access to those wires, I think. But, removing that trim piece is very difficult, even with trim tools. Anyone know how to get this trim off? Or should I be accessing those high brake light wires in a different location?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm not sure if it's different per se on the Touring (since I have a limited), but when I pried off the top black plastic trim piece (the one that on the touring goes around the high rear view cam), it just popped off with a plastic trim tool. You might need to start by prying off the left or right side vertical trim pieces first, which should give you a little better purchase on the top horizontal piece. Post up pics if you get it off and which wires you tapped into for the high brake light!
-C

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have a premium and I took off that trim with my hand, no tools... that's how easy it comes off. Looking at the parts diagram, it looks like the touring is different. That part #W130105 might be holding that trim in place. It doesn't exactly look like a screw, more like some kind of rivet. Subaru calls that part a "clip". See if you can find a way to remove that to release that trim.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback! I figured out how to get the trim panel off. At each corner you press in and away from the center of the panel and at the same time lift the edge away from the window. Then its just a few regular plugs to be pulled out along the center line of the trim piece. See photo below for corner tabs and center plugs. Once inside, there is a plug on the right side with two wires to it. Photo shows this plug unplugged. I tested to be sure this was the brake light wires. Green wire is positive. I cut the green wire and spliced in the red leads from the controller. I used solder and heat shrink. Then did the same for the black wire. The fourth photo shows it all installed. The controller came with double sided tape to mount it. I can't load a video here but there is a short series of quick flashes, slow flashes, and then solid on when brake pedal is pushed. A definite attention getter when you are braking. Before anyone asks, the controller was given to me by my brother. I'll see if he remembers where he got it from, etc. Zoom in on the last photo to see the label. That is the full extent of the documentation I have!

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so old age has gotten to my brother... says he ordered it online. Doesn't know from who, when, or how much he paid. A quick search of the part number (GS 100A) revealed lots of hits starting at around $3.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks for the feedback! I figured out how to get the trim panel off. At each corner you press in and away from the center of the panel and at the same time lift the edge away from the window. Then its just a few regular plugs to be pulled out along the center line of the trim piece. See photo below for corner tabs and center plugs. Once inside, there is a plug on the right side with two wires to it. Photo shows this plug unplugged. I tested to be sure this was the brake light wires. Green wire is positive. I cut the green wire and spliced in the red leads from the controller. I used solder and heat shrink. Then did the same for the black wire. The fourth photo shows it all installed. The controller came with double sided tape to mount it. I can't load a video here but there is a short series of quick flashes, slow flashes, and then solid on when brake pedal is pushed. A definite attention getter when you are braking. Before anyone asks, the controller was given to me by my brother. I'll see if he remembers where he got it from, etc. Zoom in on the last photo to see the label. That is the full extent of the documentation I have!
Nice work! Now I'm wondering, is that even legal? In my state no one can use strobe lights except emergency vehicles, police, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is specifically illegal in over a dozen states. It is dubiously legal any many other areas. There are many variations of brake light modulators/strobes/flashers. My thoughts on them is that they are a distraction to other drivers which causes less clarity on the brake/driver interaction, arguably overall increasing risk. There are plenty of studies on different aspects of the subject. There are careers that focus on such details.

·
Registered
690 Posts
My local dealer installing it on most cars on the lot in last 4+ years "pulseprotects" com , the fact it dimming with out completely turning off (pulse) makes it different from strobe and blink and makes it "legal "

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice work! Now I'm wondering, is that even legal? In my state no one can use strobe lights except emergency vehicles, police, etc.
I checked in my state, California, and they are legal as long as the flashing is temporary for only the first four seconds, like the one I installed. Personally, I like the strobe on the high brake light on cars, trucks and buses that I've seen it on. It is quick and non-obtrusive. I've seen one car with continuous strobe brake lights on the two lower lights. That constant strobe is very annoying, especially at night. Just my own opinion. Search online and you can find studies either way, like many things. :smile:

·
Registered
561 Posts
I remember as a kid putting red silicone bulb sleeves over my amber parking lights in my truck and thought it looked soo cool:) That was until i got pulled over by the fire department Sargent with his truck the same day only only 20min later. He was not amused and made me take them off on the spot.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
303 Posts
I checked in my state, California, and they are legal as long as the flashing is temporary for only the first four seconds, like the one I installed. Personally, I like the strobe on the high brake light on cars, trucks and buses that I've seen it on. It is quick and non-obtrusive. I've seen one car with continuous strobe brake lights on the two lower lights. That constant strobe is very annoying, especially at night. Just my own opinion. Search online and you can find studies either way, like many things. :smile:
I put one in my (now wife's) CRV. It was relatively straightforward and in the one I got, you could set 1) how rapidly you wanted the blinking to be, as well as 2) how long in duration. I set it to do about 6 quick blinks over about 2 seconds before turning solid red.

I do agree that the ones that are just set to constantly blink get old real quick.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I have a premium and I took off that trim with my hand, no tools... that's how easy it comes off. Looking at the parts diagram, it looks like the touring is different. That part #W130105 might be holding that trim in place. It doesn't exactly look like a screw, more like some kind of rivet. Subaru calls that part a "clip". See if you can find a way to remove that to release that trim.[/QUOTE

I have to take the trim off my premium to replace the tail light reflected lens on the drivers side . Is to that easy to remove?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have a premium and I took off that trim with my hand, no tools... that's how easy it comes off. Looking at the parts diagram, it looks like the touring is different. That part #W130105 might be holding that trim in place. It doesn't exactly look like a screw, more like some kind of rivet. Subaru calls that part a "clip". See if you can find a way to remove that to release that trim.[/QUOTE

I have to take the trim off my premium to replace the tail light reflected lens on the drivers side . Is to that easy to remove?
Yes, it is easy. It involves using your hands to pop of a trim panel, and unscrewing (2) 10mm bolts with a socket wrench.

Ascentforums.com member, Stillmotion, was nice enough to make this video:
Go to 3:20 of the video, is where he shows how to remove the tail light

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yes, it is easy. It involves using your hands to pop of a trim panel, and unscrewing (2) 10mm bolts with a socket wrench.

Ascentforums.com member, Stillmotion, was nice enough to make this video:
Go to 3:20 of the video, is where he shows how to remove the tail light

https://youtu.be/_umRoYdgT2k
Thanks , but I have to replace the inner reflector that sits in the hatch part so I assume it is just popping the back hatch panel off

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here are the photos requested to be re-posted. Hope this helps.
Wire Auto part Vehicle Tire Automotive tire
Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Car
Wire Electrical wiring Auto part Cable Technology
Vehicle Technology Electronic device

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.