Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone seen instructions on how to remove the center console? Need to get cup holder out so I can 3d scan it and see if I can enlarge the holes for a 32oz bottle. I can get the front trim off but the center console(armrest)seems to be blocking the back half. Willing to pull it apart but don’t want to break things just yet..... only had it for 2 days ;-)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Anyone seen instructions on how to remove the center console? Need to get cup holder out so I can 3d scan it and see if I can enlarge the holes for a 32oz bottle. I can get the front trim off but the center console(armrest)seems to be blocking the back half. Willing to pull it apart but don’t want to break things just yet..... only had it for 2 days ;-)
I keep trying to reply but it never shows up. youtube has a video that will help you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did see that one. Still stuck on the side piece.
At this point I have modeled up a raised cup holder that fits pretty well and holds my 32oz bottles.
I also cut one wedge out of each door and replaced the hole with a flat plug I printed.
Now I can fit a 32oz in each door with a little push and 2- 32 oz in the center console.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,526 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
I did see that one. Still stuck on the side piece.
At this point I have modeled up a raised cup holder that fits pretty well and holds my 32oz bottles.
I also cut one wedge out of each door and replaced the hole with a flat plug I printed.
Now I can fit a 32oz in each door with a little push and 2- 32 oz in the center console.

View attachment 1473 View attachment 1474 View attachment 1475 View attachment 1476 View attachment 1477
Are you taking orders for 2 Console Cup Holders?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nice work!
Is the cup holder part of the door a separate piece in the door panel?
In other words, could the cup holder be separated from the door panel to be worked on independently?
I'd like to remove the wedges as well and bag some carbon fiber into the piece to cover the holes.
Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
From another forum member that took pics of the rear door panel inside it looks to be plastic riveted to the panel.
Could probably grind away the rivets then glue it back in place.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

The wedges are part of the door panel. I cut them out using a soldering iron flat tip as a hot knife. Just don't go too deep since there is insulation on the inside of the plastic panel. Then I printed a wedge with a flat top to fill the hole I just made in the door. Took a few tries to get the plug right but eventually worked.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you taking orders for 2 Console Cup Holders?
My son prints them for me and I will ask him if he will print a few to sell.
They take 15 hours to print!

I have noticed some things about them in the Texas heat....They do warp a little on the bottom of the cup holder. This has actually worked out great since they have molded to the shape of the cupholder!

·
Registered
544 Posts
I haven’t printed one because these are available, but didn’t know it would take 15hrs 😮

Swigzy Car Cup Holder Expander Adapter with Adjustable Base - Rubber Tabs Hold Most 32 - 40 oz Bottles and Large Cups https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0752DZ1SB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_y.TKDb8D4GPTK

I would of thought Subaru would have used a hydroflask 32 or 40oz to size the cup holder given how popular they. Probably that guy that designed the cargo light was tasked with cup holders too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not sure if you got this yet, but there are two bolts that hold the center arm rest console box in place. Slide both seats forward and the bolts are under two removable panels, one on each side. Remove those and the screws from the front and the console box will come out. Then you can get to the cupholder assembly

·
Registered
544 Posts
Just tested this weekend.

Solid hold with a 40oz hydroflask getting up here on fire roads
(really just an excuse to post pics =) )

1 - 15 of 15 Posts