Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a silly question and maybe im not understanding properly . I am under the assumption that a device(remote starter) has to be installed on the car by the dealer to start the car remotely. But I see that if I upgrade to the subaru starlink security package it says i can remote start the car through the app. Does that mean the car has this capability already built in and no other device needs to be installed or this app just allows users that have a remote starter installed the ability to remote start their cars from phone instead of keys? I have a limited with pkg 23 by the way if that helps answer this question better.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
According to the sales brochure, remote start is built into Starlink on all but the base model Ascent. It just requires activation and the app.

It works on my Limited.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow Thanx for the info, I just signed up. Im little dumbfounded and upset because when I went to purchase the car I asked about Remote start and they told me it would $400 for the part and around $410 to install. Not once did they ever mention that it works with the newer cars that have push start. I mean maybe they didnt know at the time but im happy I found this out. Another reason to make me happier about my subaru purchase.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
APP start requires no hardware (just pushbutton start model), FOB start *requires* hd

Wow Thanx for the info, I just signed up. Im little dumbfounded and upset because when I went to purchase the car I asked about Remote start and they told me it would $400 for the part and around $410 to install. Not once did they ever mention that it works with the newer cars that have push start. I mean maybe they didnt know at the time but im happy I found this out. Another reason to make me happier about my subaru purchase.
It's more complex than that.

• MySubaru APP ("Starlink") remote start does not require an additional accessory, but only works on the pushbutton Ascents and it requires a Starlink Subscription though.
  • Keyfob remote start MUST have the remote start control unit installed. $400-499 is about the correct price. NO subscription is required, just the one time accessory price.
Please refer to my detailed thread here for all your answers.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

• MySubaru APP ("Starlink") remote start does not require an additional accessory, but only works on the pushbutton Ascents and it requires a Starlink Subscription though.
  • Keyfob remote start MUST have the remote start control unit installed. $400-499 is about the correct price. NO subscription is required, just the one time accessory price.
I knew about the keyfob remote start. When I asked the salesmen, I ask specifically about the phone app that I briefly heard about. He told me that in order to remote start from anything it required a unit and installation. Thats the only reason I didnt upgrade my starlink subscription. but for 4.99 a month its totally worth it. The fact that I can control my heated seat option and A/C is a big plus. Could have use that when loading my dog in the car this summer since I load him in first before the baby

·
Registered
107 Posts

Robert- your best explanation of this feature to date-Thank you sir !!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I own a 19 Ascent Premier Trim (top of the line) here in Canada.

Dealer and Subaru Canada states Starlink not available on this MY - however based on research and what everyone is saying in this feed - the car would have the 'hardware' installed at time of manufacturing - is there a way to jailbreak i.e somehow piggy back in the service available on MY 20 of the outback, Forrester, etc... (For some reason still not on the 20 Ascent here in Canada) - or - visit the US and get a dealer there to 'see me the service' ( we do have a residence in the US which we visit over the summer)

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
I own a 19 Ascent Premier Trim (top of the line) here in Canada.

Dealer and Subaru Canada states Starlink not available on this MY - however based on research and what everyone is saying in this feed - the car would have the 'hardware' installed at time of manufacturing - is there a way to jailbreak i.e somehow piggy back in the service available on MY 20 of the outback, Forrester, etc... (For some reason still not on the 20 Ascent here in Canada) - or - visit the US and get a dealer there to 'see me the service' ( we do have a residence in the US which we visit over the summer)
No, there isn't. AT&T has to be provisioned for it, and the car has to be activated on the Starlink service.

The only way to do it would require swapping enough of the car to convince the systems it is a US sold Ascent with activated services (Starlink and AT&T).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts