Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that the remote start on my 2021 Subaru Ascent turns off after about 5 minutes SOMETIMES, but is set to run for 15 minutes. This has happened on a few cold mornings and is getting very frustrating. Has anyone else experienced this and why? Thanks!

·
Administrator
11,125 Posts
The app supports 5 minutes and 10 minutes. Are you seeing something different?

·
Administrator
11,125 Posts
I have both. Correct, the FOB based start should have a fixed timeout of 15 minutes. How much gas is in the car? I am curious if maybe it shuts off sooner with low gas or if the gas light goes off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car has a little over a 1/4 tank. I read that the car will shut down if management system determines a safely risk, but I can’t see what the problem would be with a brand new car.

·
Administrator
11,125 Posts
Indoors or outdoors?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The car stays out doors. I’m very unhappy with the remote start. Some days it doesn’t even work, I just get the 3 honks and no start. Seriously considering installing an aftermarket remote start.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
The car stays out doors. I’m very unhappy with the remote start. Some days it doesn’t even work, I just get the 3 honks and no start. Seriously considering installing an aftermarket remote start.
I had a similar experience.

Took it to the dealer.

Problem was me. I was doing it wrong.

Idk what my specific personal malfunction was, but I was literally doing the button presses incorrectly on the long range fob. The regular fob was fine.

·
Administrator
11,125 Posts
I wouldn't do that. They emulate a FOB in the car, which makes it pretty easy to steal.

Using the regular FOB, in quick succession, it's two short presses, then press and hold until the car does a series of decreasing-volume beeps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I originally had the same personal malfunction and was doing it wrong but after diligently studying the remote start pamphlet things seemed to be working out, but nope, still seem to running into some odd issues with the remote start from time to time.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
105 Posts
Disclaimer: Sorry for the long read. This probably doesn't apply at all, but thought I would chime in just in case someone finds it valuable. (Monitor the tachometer when using the remote start)

EDITED: (This was on my 2011 Forester XT) On my 2014 2011 Forester XT I wanted the OEM Remote Start. After reading the complexity and ultimately realizing I would need the dealer's help to do the final "programming", I took it in for them to do everything. (The point about reading the manual is important)

So, I dropped off the car one night, and they called the next morning stating the work was done (it was a cold day). It sat on the lot until I came by in the afternoon. When I got to the dealership, I tested it out and it worked perfectly (with the exception of turning the car off when entering, but that's a whole other discussion 😀 ).

It took me 15-20 minutes to get home and I was excited. So, I called the wife outside to show her how to use it. We tested it out and the car started just fine ... ran for a few seconds (maybe 10), then cut off! It continued this over and over again. Would start, run for a moment ... and then cut off.

Called the dealer and told them I would bring it back in the next morning.

Next morning, before I took it in, I tested it out ... and it worked PERFECTY FINE. It immediately dawned on me! IDLE SPEED!! It made complete sense.

So, the instructions state to perform an engine idle programming step (2011 Remote Start):
  • When the engine has settled to a normal idle speed (normally 750-1000 RPM), press and release the brake pedal (1) time.
  • The horn will honk (2) times to indicate the system has exited tach idle speed programming.
  • Be sure that the vehicle has maintained 750-1000 RPM idle speed prior to exiting tachometer idle speed programming.

The system monitors the rpm speed of the engine. Any major drop in the registered rpm and it will shut off.

Here's what happened. The tech installed the equipment in the car, started it up and immediately programmed it (Less than a few minutes for an experienced tech). When he did this, the system registered a working rpm around ~1800-2400 (remember, it was a cold day and the car was warming up!). So, when I picked it up that afternoon after it sat for hours ... it worked and ran for at least 3 or 4 minutes before I opened the door because the idle speed was high while the car warmed up.

But, when I got home, the engine was warm. So, when I used the remote start, the car started up just fine, but the moment the rpms dropped (within a few seconds) to a normal WARM-ENGINE idle ... it would cut off.

The dealer agreed. We let the car run for 3 minutes, reprogrammed it at a normal idle speed, problem solved!

·
Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
472 Posts
I've had issues with the remote start in my 2017 Outback. Nearly every time I try to start the car in the winter I get the 3 beeps and no start. Usually, unlocking and relocking the doors a few times then trying the remote start again will get it to work. Every so often I'll get the start, run for seconds, shut off situation. Unlock/lock retry usually works in that case too.

Somewhere on the Outback forums there was a post that detailed the 5000 step checklist that the car goes through to decide if it will start. Not sure what else is really needed aside from trans in park and locked doors (maybe no low oil or overheated engine?) but it's a bit of an annoyance!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Wow! 5000 step checklist!? That’s crazy. Maybe it’s the low windshield wiper fluid notification? Haha!
Yes that's actually step 3737B, but only in conjunction with the snowflake light being on when it's a odd numbered calendar day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just wanted to write an update: After filling up my windshield wipe fluid I haven’t experienced the early shot down.. no kidding. I also did an update but honesty I now believe the low windshield wiper fluid was the reason for the early shut off.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I just wanted to write an update: After filling up my windshield wipe fluid I haven’t experienced the early shot down.. no kidding. I also did an update but honesty I now believe the low windshield wiper fluid was the reason for the early shut off.
Glad it's working better now, that's an odd one!

don't know about 5000 but if your interior temp and engine temp in range why keep running ...
This is on cold starts. And 3rd time this week I've had to break this out....

·
Registered
8 Posts
I noticed that the remote start on my 2021 Subaru Ascent turns off after about 5 minutes SOMETIMES, but is set to run for 15 minutes. This has happened on a few cold mornings and is getting very frustrating. Has anyone else experienced this and why? Thanks!
I am having this exact problem on my 2020 Ascent. Oddly, if I use the regular keyfob to remote start (press, press, press+hold) it seems to start and run for the full 15 mins. However, if I use the remote starter fob (press, press), then it seemingly randomly decides to shut off anywhere from 2-15 minutes after starting. If it shuts off and I try to restart it using the remote starter, I get the three honk "fail" sign, but if I do a lot of lock/unlock/lock/unlock and then try to start again it works.

Obviously the problem is maddening to replicate so would like to avoid bringing in to dealer.

I wondered if it has anything to do with the internal temp setting, i.e. maybe it shuts off when internal temp is reached? Which is also annoying because I might have left it at 65 degrees the night before but I want warmth in the morning.

Windshield fluid is topped up so that's not it...

Any leads?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue when my battery was dead and changed. Previously 20 minutes, but after the battery change, 3-5 minutes only. Went to deal today and they don't even know how to fix it.

THEN I FOUND THIS, and it WORKED! The following steps are at the end of the manual, and the remote start run time could be programed to be 3, 5, 10, or 15 minutes.

Brief steps:
1. Get in the car, have all doors windows gates closed, but unlocked.
2. No pedal pressing, just push the press start button to On, and immediately push again to turn it Off. Then On, then Off, then On, then Off. Then On and keep it on. You need to finish it within 8 seconds. After three cycles of on and off and finally On, the car will honk 1 to 4 times based on the current setting of the time:

1 honk-3 minutes
2 honks-5 min
3 honks-10 min
4 honks-15min

3. Open and close the driver door will move to the next selection of run time and you will hear honks.

4. Once hear the honks that are corresponding to your desired run time, push the start button to turn it off to exit the time selection mode, and you are done!

Let me know if it works for you guys.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had the same issue when my battery was dead and changed. Previously 20 minutes, but after the battery change, 3-5 minutes only. Went to deal today and they don't even know how to fix it.

THEN I FOUND THIS, and it WORKED! The following steps are at the end of the manual, and the remote start run time could be programed to be 3, 5, 10, or 15 minutes.

Brief steps:
1. Get in the car, have all doors windows gates closed, but unlocked.
2. No pedal pressing, just push the press start button to On, and immediately push again to turn it Off. Then On, then Off, then On, then Off. Then On and keep it on. You need to finish it within 8 seconds. After three cycles of on and off and finally On, the car will honk 1 to 4 times based on the current setting of the time:

1 honk-3 minutes
2 honks-5 min
3 honks-10 min
4 honks-15min

3. Open and close the driver door will move to the next selection of run time and you will hear honks.

4. Once hear the honks that are corresponding to your desired run time, push the start button to turn it off to exit the time selection mode, and you are done!

Let me know if it works for you guys.
Hey.. I’m pretty sure it’s preset to 15 minutes and the turn off time seemed inconsistent. I started working better eventually, no kidding after I refills the windshield wiper fluid. I recently activated the STARLINK phone app and that has been working well. Kinda expensive but the temp control and door locks have been great!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts