Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Took delivery of my Ascent Touring and when I placed the order I checked the remote start option and paid the $411 cost but when my car arrived there was no remote start. The dealership told me it was not available on their future orders but will order the module and install at the dealership. Anyone else order this option? was it on the car when it was delivered? I would also definitely recommend getting the Starlink package for remote operations of the Ascent. I can remote start using the app. set the temp, turn on the heat/cool option for the seats, find it anywhere and many other things.

·
Registered
598 Posts
So you paid for an option that isn’t installed on your car? Sounds like they should refund you that cost for the remote start accessory.

·
Registered
149 Posts
So are you going with the StarLink or the MegaFob remote start? Sounds like you ordered the megafob option for the $411 but the StarLink is a different animal and doesn’t necessitate the $411 dealer installed remote start/fob package. Right? Are you just saying you enjoy the StarLink option that you get for the free trial? I want to make sure you understand there is a difference and that you don’t need both. And I want to be sure when I take possession of mine.

·
Administrator
10,446 Posts
Took delivery of my Ascent Touring and when I placed the order I checked the remote start option and paid the $411 cost but when my car arrived there was no remote start. The dealership told me it was not available on their future orders but will order the module and install at the dealership. Anyone else order this option? was it on the car when it was delivered? I would also definitely recommend getting the Starlink package for remote operations of the Ascent. I can remote start using the app. set the temp, turn on the heat/cool option for the seats, find it anywhere and many other things.
So you paid for an option that isn’t installed on your car? Sounds like they should refund you that cost for the remote start accessory.
Dealer installed option. So, it looks like you rolled the cost into your financing, it's already paid for, and, when it's available, the dealer will be installing it at no additional charge?

Some of the options are trickling out still - the extended crossbars were canceled on my Touring due to not being available with the order time frame, so, I will have to get them later.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So are you going with the StarLink or the MegaFob remote start? Sounds like you ordered the megafob option for the $411 but the StarLink is a different animal and doesn’t necessitate the $411 dealer installed remote start/fob package. Right? Are you just saying you enjoy the StarLink option that you get for the free trial? I want to make sure you understand there is a difference and that you don’t need both. And I want to be sure when I take possession of mine.
So I got the Starlink package without the concierge service for 4 years for $150.00. Clearly much cheaper than the $411 remote start package but it takes a min or so to start the car when you use the app but the app does allow you to set time, temp, front and rear window defroster, heat or cooling seats (if you have those) so I will ask my dealer for a refund on the $411. Plus I don't really want another FOB. My Outback used the original car FOB for this function so it made sense.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am bummed that the Starlink package isn't available in Canada, so I have to pay an extra $550 for a remote start fob on a $60,000 top of the line vehicle. Remote start is pretty much a necessity in our winters and comes standard in every other vehicle we have looked at. Ugh. Plus I have to now lug around a second fob. Really wish we had the option of the Starlink pkg up here.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I am bummed that the Starlink package isn't available in Canada, so I have to pay an extra $550 for a remote start fob on a $60,000 top of the line vehicle. Remote start is pretty much a necessity in our winters and comes standard in every other vehicle we have looked at. Ugh. Plus I have to now lug around a second fob. Really wish we had the option of the Starlink pkg up here.
What? That is b.s. I don't blame you being bummed. Somebody ought to do something!!!:sad:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Did they say why it is not available? Is it something with the Canadian cell networks?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im guessing it has something to do with Canadian cell networks. My local dealer had never even heard of the Starlink package. Subaru Canada told me it is not available at this time. I'm tempted to wait through the fall to see if it becomes available before the winter, I would much rather use that system. Though my husband is now trying to get the remote start fob thrown in with our deal ... it's still crazy to me that it's $550 extra and not standard on such an expensive vehicle. I'm surprised none of the Canadian reviews have picked up on this yet. My husband thought I was joking when I told him a few days ago, and he's researched this car inside and out!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Im guessing it has something to do with Canadian cell networks. My local dealer had never even heard of the Starlink package. Subaru Canada told me it is not available at this time. I'm tempted to wait through the fall to see if it becomes available before the winter, I would much rather use that system. Though my husband is now trying to get the remote start fob thrown in with our deal ... it's still crazy to me that it's $550 extra and not standard on such an expensive vehicle. I'm surprised none of the Canadian reviews have picked up on this yet. My husband thought I was joking when I told him a few days ago, and he's researched this car inside and out!
I agree with you on all the points. I have heard that the remote start fob is a bit touchy in terms of when it works (distance) also I think it is an xtra fob you need to carry along with the "main fob" . I might be wrong on that though as I never really looked into the fob

·
Registered
287 Posts
We also bought the fob. I found out that you can also start the car with the normal key fob as well, the extra fob is a "long distance remote". The dealer had to order and install ours as well.
Really? That's great...I mean no one mentioned that before here and I'm thinking the optional fob is mandatory for remote start and I've already decided to get the Starlink plan.
Care to explain how does it work?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Really confusing on my Chevy my fob had the remote start on it you had click on lock first and then on function and started up imediately,Subaru doesn’t clarify it also years ago my Honda had it already in the computer board just had have program to start it they wanted 400 bucks I called deal ship in Cali and they sent me the program to do my friend a geek did for me for 6 pack lol

·
Registered
277 Posts
Start using included native fob is documented in the manual. Two quick clicks on lock within 2 seconds and then one more click

However it’s said “optional component”, hence I am not clear if $400 fob internal component installation is required for native fob to start.

Can someone with Touring and no $400 fob try ?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Start using included native fob is documented in the manual. Two quick clicks on lock within 2 seconds and then one more click

However it’s said “optional component”, hence I am not clear if $400 fob internal component installation is required for native fob to start.

I just tried it on my new touring. It doesn't work. However, with the mysubaru and starlink apps on your cell phone, it works great.

Reactions: calimomofboys

·
Administrator
10,446 Posts

I just tried it on my new touring. It doesn't work. However, with the mysubaru and starlink apps on your cell phone, it works great.

I *think* the "remote engine start control module" is required for functionality using either regular Fob or the Mega-Fob, but I cannot get confirmation.

I have heard both "yes" and "no" regarding this, during the days the accessory lists were being finalized. I haven't checked back since.

If you get the accessory option (H001SXC100), which includes the remote engine start control module, you'll get two of the Mega-FOBs as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Best I can tell the small remote start fob is for starting your car when you aren't line of sight, because it has an led indicator on it that is supposed to tell you when the car has actually started. We went this route instead of Starlink because my wife wanted to be able to start the car while pushing a shopping cart and holding a kid instead of getting out her phone and going through half a dozen button clicks to do the same thing.

·
Administrator
10,446 Posts

The 2019 MegaFOB supposedly looks like the one above - or at least, that's the pic Subaru is currently using for it in their parts system. The drawing in the installation manual matches it as well. It is also what I've seen in a demo video that currently eludes me (passing glance of it).

The key for the keyed cars is what has the "secret code" to remote start, IIRC, but I think it won't work without the remote start control module. If one has the MegaFOB in the pic, then they should have everything needed for all non-app based remote start mechanisms to work.

^is this what you have?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 129 Posts