Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Odd combination, I know, but we just got a Crystal Blue Pearl Ascent Touring model, and I added the remote engine start module because I wanted the ability to remotely start the engine without requiring cellular service in the area, and I didn't want to have a subscription for the privilege of remotely starting the car. I saw somewhere that it was also possible to remotely start the engine using the standard keyfob - does anyone have the proper sequence for doing this?

Footwell illumination - I saw somewhere that it was supposed to be blue, but what I see is a very faint yellowish white color - VERY faint. It kind of goes with the (very attractive) lighting along the ivory trimmed strips along the dash and the doors. IF your Ascent has this feature, do you see anything different from what I have described?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
To start with the standard key fob press the lock button three times and on the third time keep holding it down for what seems like a long time until it starts. Pay attention to the car’s beeping noises and you will figure out the noises it makes when it starts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To start with the standard key fob press the lock button three times and on the third time keep holding it down for what seems like a long time until it starts. Pay attention to the car’s beeping noises and you will figure out the noises it makes when it starts.
Thank you. I verified that this works. The trick is to not press the lock button any faster than the car’s responses.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
My car is special... at an added cost.

Footwell illumination - I saw somewhere that it was supposed to be blue, but what I see is a very faint yellowish white color - VERY faint. It kind of goes with the (very attractive) lighting along the ivory trimmed strips along the dash and the doors. IF your Ascent has this feature, do you see anything different from what I have described?

Thanks!
MY footwell illumination in my Touring is blue. Perhaps you saw my pics. That isn't standard. The footwell illumination kit accessory, which is almost never installed in the Touring, is BLUE.

BUT, the built in kit that's standard in the Touring is a warm white, like yours. I spent extra and bought the blue illumination kit and had it installed. :tango_face_wink:

Personally, things would have looked more uniform if I hadn't, and I sometimes second guess my decision. The 2nd row illumination will always be warm white, even if you get the kit, since the kit is only for the front.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thank you. I verified that this works. The trick is to not press the lock button any faster than the car’s responses.
I'm confused. I thought the remote start was only available thru the app or you could get it installed by the dealer to work off the key fob. Anyway, I had to give a try and no luck. The first two presses of the lock button gets the beep and the third and hold causes the lights to flash and the horn to beep. I held the button down for 30 seconds or so.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm confused. I thought the remote start was only available thru the app or you could get it installed by the dealer to work off the key fob. Anyway, I had to give a try and no luck. The first two presses of the lock button gets the beep and the third and hold causes the lights to flash and the horn to beep. I held the button down for 30 seconds or so.

Did you have the dealer install the remote start? You get a separate set of key fobs for this. In addition, at closer range, you can use the regular car fob as described above, but that only works if you have the dealer installed remote start and is totally independent of the remote start using the MySubaru app.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Did you have the dealer install the remote start? You get a separate set of key fobs for this. In addition, at closer range, you can use the regular car fob as described above, but that only works if you have the dealer installed remote start and is totally independent of the remote start using the MySubaru app.

Here is a video of how to start your car:
:smile_big: My Limited comes in February. This will be my first high tech vehicle. I plan on alternating reading the manual (its length mimics Tolstoy's W & P) and the forum.

·
Registered
166 Posts
For giggles I tried hitting there locks on my remote (no remote start installed). The third one does something... Not sure what but it beeps and then flashes the parking lights three times.

·
Registered
686 Posts
^ Parking locator.

Also helps in terms of verifying that you've locked the car if you're farther away or in an area where the sound bounces a lot and can't hear the factory chirp all that well. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
My footwell lamps are blue no hint of yellow. Installed the accessory myself. Only note here is that when you install the blue light where it supposed to go you must remove the white footwell lamp. I did move it so it still functions. Would be interested in knowing where your white light is and where they put the blue one.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My footwell lamps are blue no hint of yellow. Installed the accessory myself. Only note here is that when you install the blue light where it supposed to go you must remove the white footwell lamp. I did move it so it still functions. Would be interested in knowing where your white light is and where they put the blue one.
Pictures?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Footwell Illumination

Odd combination, I know, but we just got a Crystal Blue Pearl Ascent Touring model, and I added the remote engine start module because I wanted the ability to remotely start the engine without requiring cellular service in the area, and I didn't want to have a subscription for the privilege of remotely starting the car. I saw somewhere that it was also possible to remotely start the engine using the standard keyfob - does anyone have the proper sequence for doing this?

Thanks!
The footwell illumination is just as you described -- a very small led behind a whitish, cream-colored "lens" that give very faint illumination. I flipped 3 latches on the passenger side plastic piece under the dash, dropped the small panel, and removed the bulb holder with a slight 90 degree twist. I removed the cream colored cover on the bulb holder and drilled out the round portion of that cover to allow more light from the led to shine on the footwell. I'd never seen that kind of a led bulb holder before. The same goes for the drivers side underneath the left side of the dash. A tight fit trying to get my fingers under the dash portion to first release the wire and plug from the bulb holder assembly so as to allow the slight 90 degree rotation of the bulb assembly for removal and drillout of the cream colored "lens" thereby giving more illumination of the footwell. There was no apparent way to substitute a brighter led for the the bulb and holder assembly. Now if I can just figure out how to remove the license plate lights for conversion of incandescent to led...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2019 Subaru Ascent touring from a kia dealership. They did not know much about the vehicle. I have watched youtube reviews etc. I am looking for an answer on the remote car starter. How do I know if my vehicle has a remote car starter? Does this vehicle work with starlink to turn the vehicle on with my cell phone? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
803 Posts
I just bought a 2019 Subaru Ascent touring from a kia dealership. They did not know much about the vehicle. I have watched youtube reviews etc. I am looking for an answer on the remote car starter. How do I know if my vehicle has a remote car starter? Does this vehicle work with starlink to turn the vehicle on with my cell phone? Thanks for any help!
Hi and welcome! There are 2 remote start options so this can be confusing. Your Touring has push button start so you can use the My Subaru phone app to remote start and do a bunch of other things if you buy the Subaru Starlink Safety and Security package that uses AT&T cell service. There is also an optional dealer installed hardware module with an extended range fob for remote starting directly fob to car.

I don't know if the previous owners Starlink subscription is transferable. You can check with your local Subaru dealer. It's a good value for around $75 for 3 years.

Subaru Starlink Safety & Security

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
When selecting a remote start option, keep distance in mind. For example, where I work the parking lot is vast and I'm well out of range of a conventional radio-based starter. With Starlink however, long distances are not a problem.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Yes. I went with the Starlink app which will start (lock, set climate controls, seat heat, etc...) my car from 3000+ miles away, as long it and I have ATT cell coverage. If not, it won't do it from 3 feet away. This is kinda obvious and I'm happy with it for my purposes, but you should be aware of the limitation as in some areas, particulary mountainous areas, ATT cell coverage might be spotty.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,904 Posts
Your device does not need to be on ATT or even on cellular service to affect remote start via Starlink. Only the vehicle has to have an ATT signal. Your device can be on WiFi or any cellular carrier with an Internet data connection.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.