Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took delivery of a '22 Ascent Limited. Getting adjusted to all the bells and whistles. Cant find any info in the Owners Manual about a remote control button for automatic garage door opening feature. Does it exist? TIA!

·
Registered
853 Posts
Find the " learn" button on the opener itself ,push it then go to the vehicle push 1 of 3 buttons on mirror- hold until the light stops blinking and you see a "green " little house symbol on the mirror itself.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Hey, if you want to get fancy, you can now use Smartthings and/or Google to open and close the house.

We have a routine on Smartthings that unlocks the door for the kids, and opens up the garage door. It's at least a three-tap operation (assuming you have an android phone, and it is plugged in). Tap Android Auto, Tap Smartthings, Tap the routine associated with unlocking/opening up the house. Boom.

When we leave, I do usually use the garage door opener (homelink). Occasionally I'll hit the voice command button and ask google to "Lock up the house" which runs a routine to lock all of the doors, turn on the alarm, set phasers to stun, close the garage door, and begin monitoring the house.

It takes some legwork outside of the Subaru to make this happen, but it pays off (to me it does).

·
Registered
775 Posts
There is actually an even easier proceedure on here somewhere that I used. You only use the learn function on the mirror and your remote, no ladder required. Google is your friend... https://www.autonationsubaruroseville.com/research/homelink.htm
^ Actually, that write-up still includes actuation of the garage-door opener's "Learn" button (step 5), which is necessary if the HomeLink device fails to pair when using the remote.

It's just a re-write of what's in the Owner's Manual.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,251 Posts
Homelink is always available as long as you don't have a dead battery.
My MY19 Touring and our MY20 Forester Limited both prefer the vehicle to be powered on to offer the Homelink feature.

·
Registered
775 Posts
^ I wonder if it's also trim-level dependent?

My wife's '16 and '19 WRXs were/are both Premiums.

@Jim_in_PA , you wrote "prefer" - does that mean that you'd get longer range out of it, if the vehicle was powered on? Both my '19 as well as '20 Touring allow HomeLink communication with the vehicle power off. I've never tested for range, though....

·
Super Moderator
4,251 Posts
By "prefer" I mean they don't work unless the vehicle is powered. They prefer to ignore me otherwise...the little petulant things!

• Haha
Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,205 Posts
20 Touring and the Homelink works regardless of ignition state. Same as it's been for every car I've owned for decades.

That's why the car that parks in the driveway isn't programmed for the Homelink. Otherwise anyone could use the car sitting in the driveway as the garages door opener. That's why I decided to un-program that car. I was using it to open the door when the battery in my handheld remote died.

·
Super Moderator
4,251 Posts
I double-checked. The Homelink in my 20 Touring works when the car is running, or not running in acc or on positions.
That's identical to the behavior I mentioned for mine above. The electrical system has to be powered up for it to work...engine status doesn't matter.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts