Subaru Ascent Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
6,299 Posts
The electric parking brake: the answer to a question nobody was asking.
And yet, there have been many folks "out there" that were lamenting that their vehicles still had the old mechanical parking brake and not an electronic parking brake. It will always be that way...

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

· Registered
167 Posts
Yes, temporarily, until the pads wore more. All of my mechanical cable driven emergency brakes worked just like that. Either keep adjusting, or keep stepping/pulling the lever more as the brakes wore.
Don't forget cable stretch, linkage wear and the inconvenience/cost of taking it to a mechanic. It seems kind of silly NOT to have an electronic, self calibrating brake

· Registered
14 Posts
Hi Tom, the easiest thing is to borrow a portable jumpstarter - if you can't open the hood, then I'd use one that can plug into the cigarette lighter - don't try starting the car with it (you'll probably blow the fuse instead of starting), but you should be able to disengage the parking brake.

There's NO easy way of doing it manually. In the tech instructions, there are instructions that involve unscrewing the assemblies and disconnecting the power. It's not the type of thing I'd try.

Robert, when you say if you can’t open the hood….are you saying the doors might be locked and can’t be opened because the battery is dead? Brand new Ascent owner here and I’m trying to learn everything I can to be prepared! Thanks!

· Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
6,299 Posts
Robert, when you say if you can’t open the hood….are you saying the doors might be locked and can’t be opened because the battery is dead? Brand new Ascent owner here and I’m trying to learn everything I can to be prepared! Thanks!
Hardware key (regular key if non-push button start or emergency key in fob for push button start) "should" open the driver's door mechanically which in turn should allow one to use the hood release. But maybe I'm missing something...

· Registered
14 Posts
Hardware key (regular key if non-push button start or emergency key in fob for push button start) "should" open the driver's door mechanically which in turn should allow one to use the hood release. But maybe I'm missing something...
I wasn’t sure, newbie here. But there’s so much electronic on these babies, I wouldn’t be surprised if the hood release required power!:)

· Administrator
13,223 Posts
Hmmm... most importantly, @tdelker, how are things going?

· Registered
458 Posts
I like electronic parking brakes. We've had several, starting with our 2006 Passat 4-Motion. Right or wrong, I see no reason to engage the parking brake on the level. I do on hills and usually turn the wheels into the curb. You should engage the parking brake (no matter the kind) before shifting into Park. Makes sense to me. It takes the potential bind off the parking pawl on a steep grade.

Old time cable parking brakes were self adjusting...at least any I had for decades. The problem where we live was/is salt /corrosion gumming up the works....from the adjuster to the cable linkage. I used to use the hand brake more frequently back then, especially in the winter, to keep it moving. I also lubed them up before winter. I never had to replace the cable in any cars we had.

As I remember, the 79 Eldo we bought in 88 still had a pedal parking brake, but I think it may have been the first car we had that you pushed the parking brake pedal down harder to release it?

As a side note, GM was a little ahead of their time with fiber optics back then. Starting in the early 70s, they had fiber run to all the lights in Caddys (may have been more) that would indicate burnt out lamps...from high beam (blue light) to low beam(white light) to parking lights (yellow) to tail lights (red). The front light indicators were on each side of the hood. The rear tail light indicators were in the rear headliner.

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Following up: I just pulled the battery and slow charged it.

I also bought a battery jump kit NOCO GB20 as I'm concerned that that I've run the battery down it will die again and I won't be able to jump that car with it in the garage. So I guess I just did what everyone else does :)

Thanks for the help. It surprises me that there isn't a way to manual release these electric parking brakes though. I've had them since 2010 on my legacy GT, so I suppose it shouldn't surprise me. I just never had to do it.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts