Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are considering a 2020 Ascent. I am trying to qualify for the VIP Program. I see REI listed as a Subaru partner. Does that mean I can qualify for the VIP program with a my membership?

I’ve searched the forum and can’t find the answer.

Also, in reading the threads on this forum I’m a bit hesitant to buying an Ascent. Sounds like a lot of unhappy customers.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
The list of partnerships is at the following link. Do note that not every partner has the same VIP program terms.

As to your last statement...you cannot go by complaints on an internet forum about how happy or unhappy buyers are for the approximately 100K Ascents that have been built and sold to-date. People flock to forums when they have problems but rarely do so to praise in the same proportions. There certainly have been a few vehicles with issues, but those issues get addressed. Some only apply to a very small number of those built during a short time frame, yet from a thread title, you'd think the sky is falling. It's not a Subaru thing...it applies to pretty much every make and model out there. So do your test drive and see if the Ascent is "right for you" based on your own experience.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jim. Yes I’ve seen that link and see that REI is a partner. Just can’t find any info on the VIP program thru REI.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Greetings,
Can't help you on the REI question. Sorry.

As for the other:
Check out the forums for your other possibilities. You might find much the same thing.

I think it's fair to surmise that a good number of the early Ascent adapters are Subaru loyalists from previous vehicles. I am, and I've not changed my opinion based on my Ascent experience. I admit to being bewildered by the battery issue with the rear hatch. Hopefully that gets straightened out.

The thing that gets all the "press" is the transmission. Two things seem to have fallen out: most (though not all) of the problems were from cars built in the fall of 2018, and if there is a problem it is likely to manifest within the first 10,000 miles. (Maybe a third thing- some folks just don't like the CVT even when it is operating normally. It does take some getting used to.)

I hope there is not a pervasive problem for cars built in 2019+, but if there is I'd expect a lot more reports to be cropping up in the near term.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Inside scoop is that VIP affords retail invoice pricing. Not much of an incentive to dig into the promo since my Ascent was $2,000 below dealer invoice, PLUS $750 Loyalty Certificate from the manufacturer.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Inside scoop is that VIP affords retail invoice pricing. Not much of an incentive to dig into the promo since my Ascent was $2,000 below dealer invoice, PLUS $750 Loyalty Certificate from the manufacturer.
Not necessarily. There are actually multiple VIP Programs and tiers. Due to my charity work for Make-A-Wish, Subaru was nice enough to give me VIP Dealer Invoice, without me having to join any groups, etc. Some VIP Programs, like ASPCA, are 2% below dealer invoice. Others are 1% below.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
What Robert said. My VIP program (PHS) was 2% below invoice and I also landed a $750 Loyalty Rebate.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Doesn’t look like REI provides the VIP pricing. We are members of the ASPCA so we ended up using that. New Ascent arrives tomorrow.
Now to look for a roof top carrier and accessories :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Doesn’t look like REI provides the VIP pricing. We are members of the ASPCA so we ended up using that. New Ascent arrives tomorrow.
Now to look for a roof top carrier and accessories :)
Well, REI can certainly help you there. I got mine during one of their 20 percent off deals.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.