Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to find what type of gas is recommended in Subaru? I am coming from the last 4 cars going back to 2010 that required Premium gas. I am hoping to finally get into a car that uses regular

·
Registered
138 Posts
always go with has been recommended because rarely will you ever find that there will be any noticeable gain in power or even fuel economy. Its only when you go for really high octane fuel on a tuned engine that real changes happen.

·
Registered
597 Posts
always go with has been recommended because rarely will you ever find that there will be any noticeable gain in power or even fuel economy. Its only when you go for really high octane fuel on a tuned engine that real changes happen.
While I agree I still wonder if there is any difference between regular and premium. The Mazda CX9 shows different power numbers depending on the fuel and I wonder if the Ascent would do the same thing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While I agree I still wonder if there is any difference between regular and premium. The Mazda CX9 shows different power numbers depending on the fuel and I wonder if the Ascent would do the same thing.

Tired of paying probably close to 30 dollars a month more for gas. I'd rather roll that savings into the car payment or something.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I wanted to find what type of gas is recommended in Subaru?
You're going to see the same thing that we have on the Turbo in the Forester.

You can run 87 Octane in it, the engine is designed to run on it. For maximum performance, run Premium.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Tired of paying probably close to 30 dollars a month more for gas. I'd rather roll that savings into the car payment or something.
Well my current vehicle only gets a 18MPG highway and 12MPG city on regular so no matter what I put in it will be a large savings.

Also I would only use premium when I plan on loading up the car for a long trip. A little more power can be nice when going up a large incline on a highway in a fully loaded vehicle!:grin:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're going to see the same thing that we have on the Turbo in the Forester.

You can run 87 Octane in it, the engine is designed to run on it. For maximum performance, run Premium.
Thank you. I am not a speedster anymore. To hard to drive really fast on Long Island without having to worry about an accident or cops and the north shore is so over populated and full of traffic lights. I generally drive to and from work, sometimes to NYC, and a lot of of driving to Montauk, or Orient Point to fish.

As long as it doesn't say Premium required I am good.

·
Registered
195 Posts
From experience owning our 2014 Forester XT (including driving cross country at multiple altitudes), even though the engine "can" run regular per Subaru and the owner's manual, you really do not want to. The ECU can detect the lower octane fuel (and likely knock events from the knock sensor) and reduce ignition timing, etc. When this happens, you get less power (obviously) AND worse fuel economy. This information is spelled out in section 7-3 of the 2014 Forester Owner's Manual. The power and fuel mileage reduction is noticeable, even if only running one tank. So, even from a cost perspective (due to MPG drop using regular), it make sense to always run Premium fuel in the Forester XT FA20DIT.

However, Subaru RECOMMENDS using premium fuel in the Turbocharged Forester XT. If Subaru engineering has done all of their testing, tuning, and other evaluation using regular 87 octane fuel AND recommends using a minimum of regular 87 octane in the Ascent, there is a chance that premium fuel will NOT be needed to meet the published power and MPG figures. With how Subaru has been publishing everything thus far, this should be the case. That being said, using premium fuel for additional safety margin to prevent knock (which will cause the ECU to limit optimum performance) is always a good idea. If Subaru says the Ascent will make 260 hp, 277 lb-ft, and get 27 mpg highway with regular fuel, do NOT expect improved horsepower or MPG above the published specifications by using premium fuel.

In the end, we all need to wait and see what is printed in the owner's manual and see how this new engine responds to different fuel grades. Until then, we are all guessing based on previous experience with the FA20DIT and other conjectures.

Reactions: chisav

·
Registered
1 Posts
Regular or Premium gas

From Subaru today
The Ascent will require regular unleaded fuel with an octane rating of 87 AKI or higher.

Sincerely,

John J.
Subaru of America, Inc.
Customer/Retailer Services Department
1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)
Service Request Number: 1-30058186560

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From Subaru today
The Ascent will require regular unleaded fuel with an octane rating of 87 AKI or higher.

Sincerely,

John J.
Subaru of America, Inc.
That is huge news. Gas prices are out of control atm.

·
Registered
187 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Yah what is going on? Just summer time price hikes?
If you look at supply and demand right now the demand is outstripping the supply and the excess that was stored from oversupply is starting to drop. I don't think it will keep going up as at some point the shale fracking will pick back up as the price hits the necessary point to be profitable.

At least this is my opinion.

·
Registered
253 Posts
From Subaru today

Sincerely,
John J.
Subaru of America, Inc.
Regular 87? In Colorado regular is 85

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Regular is 87 here in SoCal and it was also 87 when I was in Illinois

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Extremely difficult to know unless it's measured (i.e. on dyno). I wouldn't even try it because it's senseless.

1 - 20 of 288 Posts