Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a silly question but, does anybody place the all weather mats over the regular mats? I know the front ones come with a warning not to do that, but in the middle and back rows, the all weather mats came already on top of the standard mats(when I got the car). Maybe just to save space? Is it ok to just do the all weather mats with nothing underneath them?

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Our Crosstrek came with the all weather installed and the carpeted floor mats still wrapped in plastic and placed in the cargo area. Our Ascent, from a different dealer came with the all weather mats installed on top of the carpeted floor mats. I actually ordered a set of carpeted mats and it was when I went to install them that I saw the carpeted mats installed under the all weather mats. I think it is just depended upon the dealer, as it looks cleaner to not have the extra set of floor mats sitting in a pile somewhere. I wish the dealer for the Ascent would have let me know what they had done though.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
This might be a silly question but, does anybody place the all weather mats over the regular mats? I know the front ones come with a warning not to do that, but in the middle and back rows, the all weather mats came already on top of the standard mats(when I got the car). Maybe just to save space? Is it ok to just do the all weather mats with nothing underneath them?
Two possible issues w/ overlapping mats:
1. one slide causing other to slide
2. the thickness causes the floor to be raised, unable to straightening out ones legs

w/ that being said, I stacked both the carpet and rubber mats for both rows on the Forester we have.

·
Registered
597 Posts
My dealer said not to stack them and had the carpeted floor mats in the back of the vehicle. Those mats are currently sitting in my basement while the all weather mats are in the car.

In short no I do not recommend stacking mats!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I stacked all floor mats except for the driver's floor mats. Weird that the 3rd row carpet mats are larger then the All-Weather ones..

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have left the carpets under the all weathers in the 2nd and 3rd rows cuz "why not", but definitely removed from 1st row. I'll get around to the others eventually.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I do not recommend stacking mats. For front/driver seats, that's a significant safety hazard. Behind the front seats (2nd and 3rd rows), it's not so much a safety thing, although mats can still slip more easily, but more of an aesthetic as well as hygienic thing. More mats mean more spaces to trap dirt, salt (for snowy winter locations), or other debris, giving you more work when cleaning the car.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think the biggest issue that manufacturers worry about is on the driver's side. They do not want the thickness of the two mats to interfere with the accelerator pedal or the brake pedal.

·
Administrator
11,392 Posts
I think the biggest issue that manufacturers worry about is on the driver's side. They do not want the thickness of the two mats to interfere with the accelerator pedal or the brake pedal.
Subaru did high, top hinged pedals to mitigate that. Leaves lots of room.

I remember the days where my mats would interfere though. My 63 Chevy was one such car.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Subaru did high, top hinged pedals to mitigate that. Leaves lots of room.

I remember the days where my mats would interfere though. My 63 Chevy was one such car.
The stacking of mats was at the core of the Toyota Sudden Unintended Acceleration hoax. It all began with a Lexus dealership sent a prospective buyer out with his daughter and his brother and the bottom of the throttle pedal got stuck against the mats..... he reportedly drove a mile or so at full throttle to a dead end killing all on board. 16-year veteran highway patrol officer and he didn’t know enough to shut the ignition off.... or dump the shifter into neutral. then the hoaxers jumped in to get out from under car payments/leases and blaming accidents on SUA......plus the ones looking for quick $$$$ payday. Toyota’s solution was to cut the pedals and replace the all-weather mats with thinner/cheaper versions. Eventually, they came out with a software braking override. The hoax cost Toyota hundreds millions of $$$$$$.

Adding the all weather mats over the regular mats won’t interfere with the throttle assembly or skid forward..... it’s not a safety issue....it will add some sound proofing....

But at the end of the day it’s a personal decision.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts