Subaru Ascent Forum banner

101 - 120 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
783 Posts
The additional shiny bits on the Touring were another mark in its favor for us. I still like many of the old school styling touches, including some tasteful brightwork on the body. My first car was an Olds Cutlass with the factory chromed wheels, stainless steel rocker panels, brightwork around the wheel arches and around the headlamps, grille, etc. I've liked this stuff since I was young.

Much of automotive design went away from this in the '90s for "clean, sleek, Euro, etc." I never stopped liking some of the more traditional touches.

Like many things, I think it's best in moderation. I think aftermarket chrome wheels often look out of place. And adding a chrome strip to every door edge or body line doesn't add anything to the design in my opinion. I think Subaru struck a perfect balance with the bright sash on the lower part of the doors and the brightwork on the door handles (Touring) and around the side glass (all models). Ours has the satin rear bumper protector and I think that adds something to the back of the car also.

It is, of course, all subjective. It's great that we have the option, even if it exists only in the aftermarket. It'd be nice if Subaru offered the chrome-or-black choice from the factory. That would certainly add cost to everyone's car (longer build times, etc.), and I definitely understand why it's not set up that way.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,042 Posts
In almost a year of being on various Subaru forums daily, you are literally the first person I have seen who actually likes the chrome. Yet I've seen dozens of people talking about chrome delete. I'm sure there are others like you, but none that I have seen speak up about it.
I'm fine with the Chrome and don't prefer the blacked out look, personally. Most buyers don't apparently care and in the general market, shiny bling still has an "upscale" appeal. Here in the online forum world, you'll find a higher concentration of people who want things like blacked out, etc., than you will on the street.

Reactions: baronbvp

·
Registered
26 Posts
In almost a year of being on various Subaru forums daily, you are literally the first person I have seen who actually likes the chrome. Yet I've seen dozens of people talking about chrome delete. I'm sure there are others like you, but none that I have seen speak up about it.

Personally, I don't understand why you would be against the option. By far you seem to be the buyer Subaru is more interested in serving. The only trims that do get black out are mid-level specialty ones right now. For instance the Forester Sport, Outback Onyx, and Outback Wilderness. I don't see why they can't offer an optional appearance package rather than making it exclusive to a specific trim.
Oh , go find the blackout posts on the OB forums. I'd say it was almost 60/40 which is good. Yes a little scewed to your 'black' way. But I will take chrome anyway. My touring even has chrome door handles, when I saw those and cooling seats I told'em go wrap it up and wash it. I was in finance for 20 minutes and out the driveway in 90 minutes. Thats about the aversge time.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Oh , go find the blackout posts on the OB forums. I'd say it was almost 60/40 which is good. Yes a little scewed to your 'black' way. But I will take chrome anyway. My touring even has chrome door handles, when I saw those and cooling seats I told'em go wrap it up and wash it. I was in finance for 20 minutes and out the driveway in 90 minutes. Thats about the aversge time.
Here’s a pic of the grille bezel wrap on my 2021 Touring.

·
Administrator
9,687 Posts
Great, thanks, @Hankdog. Every time I think I am going to leave the chrome the way it is, someone posts an MGM with it blacked out, and I start looking at my chrome delete kit still sitting here in the box. 😡😂

Seriously, that looks great!

·
Registered
104 Posts
There was a Black Ascent Touring I saw randomly on the road several months back. I kid you not they had chrome deleted EVERYTHING! There was not a spec of silver anywhere to be seen. Pretty awesome looking.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
I thought seriously about the black w black-out, and after a ridiculous amount of deliberation, decided to go with Gray; with a plan to tone down the chrome a little at a time, and still retain the sharp look of the car. Deliberations have now turned to wheels. Considering titanium and other shades of anthracite, and perhaps with machined accents.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Great, thanks, @Hankdog. Every time I think I am going to leave the chrome the way it is, someone posts an MGM with it blacked out, and I start looking at my chrome delete kit still sitting here in the box. 😡😂

Seriously, that looks great!
My grill is black ,but the outer ring of grill is chrome.Or at least I think it is. I hope your not going for this chrome delete (blackout) to.

·
Administrator
9,687 Posts
@Ascentlover4me I might. I own the kit to do the whole car, if I get around to it. This is exactly the look I was thinking of, except with a darker red or deep electric blue for the side chrome (or black, like the rest).

Courtesy of:

·
Administrator
9,687 Posts
I'm not sure yet, either. I was thinking with or without a really dark grey or black body side graphic that's barely visible, and all blackout without the colored side trim. But, my first plan had the colored side chrome. I bought both the metallic dark blue and metallic deep red, and couldn't decide - then decided against it entirely.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
783 Posts
I'm generally not a fan of the blacked-out stuff, but that Ascent pictured above with the red sash reminds me of the Forester Sport, which I think does look pretty good from most angles. I think a splash of the same red color somewhere across the front grille/fascia area would look pretty nice.

·
Administrator
9,687 Posts
@Hankdog yes, exactly!!! I wish I had it out... but it was very much that. It was like a metallic version of the Subaru blue that had different sheens in different sunlight.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 · (Edited)
Cocomats.com has a black and blue mat pattern that would tie your exterior to your interior. I have put their products in many cars and find them to be far superior to weather tech or huskey and much better looking. I am putting a woven southwest pattern in my new ascent and am looking forward to how it ties the gray, black and white interior exterior together. That’s also why I smoked the rear lights to gray ... have no red on my car, other than the safety reflected.

·
Administrator
9,687 Posts
LOL, fortunately, those won't work for me. Besides the interior of my car always having the mats caked in mud (by the time I clean them, I'm off to my next off-road adventure), my Touring is one of a tiny handful that has the blue accent lighting on the front floor... but the warm white in the second row. I'd have to go with a different color in the 2nd row (the red would work nice), which would add a bit too much color.

I would go with a nice grey, though. But, neither Subaru nor Smartliner makes grey mats. 😞

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
These Lloyd mats are good also. I bought them for three of our daughters mini-vans. They both have three small kids who are amazingly tough on a car. These mats come in a variety of colors and can be power washed periodically that bring them back to new.

·
Administrator
9,687 Posts
You are a very bad influence, @Hankdog!!! I like that!!! 😂

101 - 120 of 136 Posts