·
Registered
16 Outback Premium - 17 Legacy Sport
10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
783 Posts
On the topic of interior colors, TFL just posted a review video of the new Crosstrek and I got a chuckle because they noted how monotone the interior is, and thought Subaru, "could have gotten a little more creative in their color palette." Starting at about 4:40 in the vid:

I guess it just goes to show that you can't make everyone happy!

·
Registered
195 Posts
What you can't do is make car owners that happy.

It would of course be nice if Subaru, among all car makers, would go further in some area they constantly get nagged on: exterior design and interior luxury. I can tell you strategically that will never happen. They won't be the #1 in those categories because Subaru owners are spoiled rotten with being #1 in the combination of off-roading capability, AWD standard, safety+. No matter where you read a review, those 3 don't get woven into anything hotter than any lukewarm mentions because they are in different ratings categories.

The irony is that trying to get an honest review of a Subaru is asking too much. This would need:
1. Sections where we, the reader, can assign the weight of importance to a logical grouping of facts (e.g., cargo capacity may mean a lot more to some than others).
2. All sounds in the cabin from the road or engine are matched to a visual of a tachometer not exceeding 4k rpms.
3. An adult in the 3rd row without the 2nd row being utterly shoved back all the way and leaning back. Show 6 adults in the vehicle all with no more than needed leg and knee room and give them maybe 2 more inches.

Maybe one day Subaru will launch a Luxury line that has more sporty features but an upscale look, sort of the up-make from Subaru that Lexus currently is for Toyota. Lexus was founded in 1989, 62 years after Toyota launched. With Subaru starting in 1953, we're way past that (2015). I don't get that Hyundai can launch Genesis, but Subaru cannot launch a $60k-$90k line with luxury but AWD across the line, dual X-mode standard, Eyesight X, and

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
134 Posts
Maybe one day Subaru will launch a Luxury line that has more sporty features but an upscale look, sort of the up-make from Subaru that Lexus currently is for Toyota. Lexus was founded in 1989, 62 years after Toyota launched. With Subaru starting in 1953, we're way past that (2015). I don't get that Hyundai can launch Genesis, but Subaru cannot launch a $60k-$90k line with luxury but AWD across the line, dual X-mode standard, Eyesight X, and
I suspect Subaru has its hands full engineering the next generation of powerplants in what will be an EV world. It took Toyota years to develop the Lexus brand before launch. Creating distinct dealerships, a "different kind of car buying experience," and a differentiated product are only a few of many issues in launching a luxury brand. Even if, today, Subaru is contemplating an (eventual) luxury brand, launch is likely to be at least 10 - 15 years away.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm just saying Toyota launched Lexus after 62 years.
Hyundai launched Genesis after 43 years.
Honda launched Acura after 40 years.
Subaru, if it launches in 2035 would be the longest waiting manufacturer to spring an upscale line.

They could probably put out a much cheaper Mercedes G-Class given the global platform and announcing a new US-based plant would give them tax breaks, and win over hearts and minds here.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,042 Posts
Subaru does get a bit of a leg up being tied so closely to Toyota, however. That can't hurt them relative to hybrid and EV development since Toyota would certainly want Subaru to succeed, given their hefty investment.

·
Registered
104 Posts
So Subaru of Australia announced what for the most part is simply the Australia launch of the 6th gen outback. However, there was one interesting difference between it and the current US model. The Australian model has "4th gen eyesight". Now they are not marketing it as "Eyesight X", but it does seem to use same windshield camera design as well as some additional sensors. They mention several of the same features we saw on the Levorg, but others like low speed hands free driving seem to be missing. Finally, it does not have a full digital display.

Unfortunately, I feel there is a decent chance this is what Eyesight may look like with the next generation in the US as well. I hope I'm wrong, but it seems very much possible.

One item of very positive note to me is "Speed Sign Recognition with Intelligent Speed Limiter functionality". This seems very similar to Toyota's Road Sign Assist which uses a camera to identify road signs and display them to the user. This should be massively more accurate than current models that use the unreliable navigation database. Additionally, the speed limiter sounds intriguing. If I could set cruise to 5 over the speed limit instead of a specific speed that would be spectacular.

·
Administrator
9,687 Posts
I'm beginning to think Eyesight-X may not make it to the 2022 Ascent (though I hope to be proven wrong). I expect the Forester will be the first to get it, followed by everything else. Hmmm...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Well, so much for waiting ... bought to a 2021 Touring (magnetite and black) from Grand Subaru in Elmhurst, IL on the last day of March. Got a good deal and enjoyed their people and sales process. Very happy w the car also. Drives great and has excellent visibility.

Also, for what it’s worth I drove a 2021 Outback Touring with Eyesight x and wasn’t sure I needed more Subie big bro watching me ... the various driving monitors in the Ascent are adequate to make me turn them off, without adding more in terms of facial monitoring. Plus it would put my wife out of a job!

·
Administrator
9,687 Posts
2021 Outback has Eyesight with Advanced Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Centering, but, not Eyesight-X.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
783 Posts
I think @Hankdog was probably preferring to the Driver Focus system (or whatever it's called) where a camera is watching your face and your eyes while driving. I've had the loaner cars from our dealer (2021 Outbacks and Foresters) yell at me for "not watching the road" before. I'll trigger on me when I don't expect it to, and I often can't get it to trigger when I'm trying to mess with it. I would likely need more time with it to better understand how it works.

·
Administrator
9,687 Posts
I had a 2020 Outback and two 2021 Outbacks that were pretty accurate in knowing when I wasn't "paying attention", but, on the other hand, I couldn't register my face with either of them, which meant certain features were disabled, like Average MPG, and seat-memory-by-face. I'm ambivalent to it.

Regardless, I'm the least worried about face scanning in the cars, when our phones do it all the time. 😉

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm beginning to think Eyesight-X may not make it to the 2022 Ascent (though I hope to be proven wrong). I expect the Forester will be the first to get it, followed by everything else. Hmmm...
With the release of the Wilderness Outback, I'm pretty much sold that the leaked slide from a few years back is valid and it said the Ascent refresh would happen for MY23 (along with the Legacy and Outback). I know that even if it is legit that would just be the plan then and things change, but with COVID I don't see anything getting pushed up in schedule.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the link. Would love it if they offered it in some nice moss green type of color like the OB and Forester. Also would like to see a turbo 6 to better compete in its class, however that’s very unlikely. But an XT blackout version would be a nice addition and worth waiting for.
No !....pul-leez don't do blackout. I just got done on the Outback Forum, I tell them I'm trying to polish or get chrome for everything I see and they wanted to paint the entire car black. Best thing for me to do is just get my eyeballs chromed, then everything I see will be chrome. Whatdoyall think.

·
Registered
104 Posts
No !....pul-leez don't do blackout. I just got done on the Outback Forum, I tell them I'm trying to polish or get chrome for everything I see and they wanted to paint the entire car black. Best thing for me to do is just get my eyeballs chromed, then everything I see will be chrome. Whatdoyall think.
In almost a year of being on various Subaru forums daily, you are literally the first person I have seen who actually likes the chrome. Yet I've seen dozens of people talking about chrome delete. I'm sure there are others like you, but none that I have seen speak up about it.

Personally, I don't understand why you would be against the option. By far you seem to be the buyer Subaru is more interested in serving. The only trims that do get black out are mid-level specialty ones right now. For instance the Forester Sport, Outback Onyx, and Outback Wilderness. I don't see why they can't offer an optional appearance package rather than making it exclusive to a specific trim.

·
Administrator
9,687 Posts
In his defense, I like the chrome too. But, I also like the blackout look. So, I bought the blackout kit in October 2019, and it's sat in the box to this day, as I waffle back and forth between which I like better.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
In almost a year of being on various Subaru forums daily, you are literally the first person I have seen who actually likes the chrome. Yet I've seen dozens of people talking about chrome delete. I'm sure there are others like you, but none that I have seen speak up about it.

Personally, I don't understand why you would be against the option. By far you seem to be the buyer Subaru is more interested in serving. The only trims that do get black out are mid-level specialty ones right now. For instance the Forester Sport, Outback Onyx, and Outback Wilderness. I don't see why they can't offer an optional appearance package rather than making it exclusive to a specific trim.
The touring has a little too much chrome for my taste. I am going to tone it down a little at a time. First effort is to have the grille bezel wrapped in black to match the grille itself. Will post a pic or two ... may also smoke the tail lights a bit. Then will see where it stands and whether window moldings need to blacked out. Considering a set of winter tires and wheels this fall and if I pop for them, will probably go darker with the wheels ... w minimal machines surfaces. But it’s really all a matter of preference. There is no right or wrong ... our differences are what makes life fun.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
or,...although not much space for the kids.

81 - 100 of 136 Posts