Subaru Ascent Forum banner

61 - 80 of 136 Posts

·
Administrator
9,687 Posts
It's all a matter of personal preference.

·
Administrator
9,687 Posts
So I was looking at the 2021 Levorg on the Subaru Japan site and it appears the model that comes with the "old" eyesight instead of Eyesight X does not have the full LCD Instrument Cluster. IMHO this makes this theory a virtual certainty.
That's my opinion too.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I wish Subaru would let you do a leather delete on the Limited and Touring so you can get all the goodies but have cloth seats. My wife is allergic to the leather. First test drive in Subaru leather we were in the car 5 minutes, by the time we g0t back to dealership my wife had lost her voice and had difficulty breathing. Salesman and GM could not believe it. something we have dealt with on all cars. Just ordered a premium all loaded up but can't even get power seat on passenger side.
That is a tough road. I suggest considering custom fit aftermarket seat covering replacements for the preferred trim level. This direction will get you exactly what you want.

I do not doubt at all that your wife had an allergic reaction while in the Subaru but I wonder if in fact it was the leather or the leather treatment or the faux leather or some other of the many chemicals that typically are out gassing from a new car? How did you pinpoint it to the leather?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
As Jim points out, it’s everyone’s choice, but I think Zach’s pics tell the story ... in terms of cost, the quote I have received is $750 to recover the 6 white pleather door and dash accents on the ascent touring. If I buy a ‘21 ascent touring as planned, it will be the first upgrade I do. To those who like the light color trim, I wonder how many OB and Forester Touring owners are ticked off because they get boring color coordinating trim all around?

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
783 Posts
To those who like the light color trim, I wonder how many OB and Forester Touring owners are ticked off because they get boring color coordinating trim all around?
Fortunately, the Outback does have some splashes of color in its interior. The Warm Ivory Leather option brings that same color to some of the dash and door panels. And the Touring, with the Java Brown Nappa Leather, applies that to the same areas of the dash and doors. Both Limited and Touring also have satin silver trim around the door handles and air vents for good measure. Lower trims (base and Premium) may also -- I'm not sure.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,043 Posts
if you look at the following three photos, one clearly stands out as poorly designed compared to the other two.
That remains a very subjective thing. You may not prefer or even hate the third photo (Ascent) but that doesn't make it a poor visual design to everyone. That's the only point I'm making...there's no right and wrong here because it's purely a preference thing.

Reactions: Hankdog

·
Registered
104 Posts
That remains a very subjective thing. You may not prefer or even hate the third photo (Ascent) but that doesn't make it a poor visual design to everyone. That's the only point I'm making...there's no right and wrong here because it's purely a preference thing.
I agree. That is why I started my post with "Obviously this is all just my opinion".

·
Registered
16 Outback Premium - 17 Legacy Sport
10 Posts
That is a tough road. I suggest considering custom fit aftermarket seat covering replacements for the preferred trim level. This direction will get you exactly what you want.

I do not doubt at all that your wife had an allergic reaction while in the Subaru but I wonder if in fact it was the leather or the leather treatment or the faux leather or some other of the many chemicals that typically are out gassing from a new car? How did you pinpoint it to the leather?
Its not just Subaru. It happens with almost all brands. We are pretty sure its the dye. We went back one week later and drove 3 models all premium no issues at all. We like all the goodies on the Touring but can't get many of them in Premium. We just ordered an Ascent Premium and we loaded it up pretty good. Ended up listing out at $43,235.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
783 Posts
Don't forget the Touring comes with the dash accent lighting that illuminates the ivory-colored areas with a faint but warm-colored light at night. I think it's very attractive, personally.

Covering those areas with a different color would certainly change the look and would probably dull the effect of the lighting.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I have the same problem with leather and bought an Outback Premium because of it.

That's not all of the leather in the car though, the steering wheel and shift knob are leather too on all but the base model. The Outback (and the Ascent) base model has a non-leather steering wheel and shift knob, which I bought from Subaru and had the dealer install/replace on my car.

I agree that this is a pain, as I also would spend more money on features only available on higher trim, but have hard requirement for no-leather.

I'm looking at getting an Ascent also and am considering the custom aftermarket seat covering replacements. It's hard to swallow the double charge on the seat covers to downgrade premium seats though. At least you can get all of the safety features on the Premium models.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Well, probably the best way to solve issue of trim color incongruence (at least for me) is to buy a Ltd in a color that come with an ivory interior. Then everything matches. I found a black Ltd w ivory interior that actually looked pretty sharp.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Flightsim and Packout-

Didn’t notice your more serious comments above relating to allergies. My apologies; didn’t mean to step over them with another comment on the trim color issue. Anyway, I hope you find a way to cost-effectively solve the problem. Seems like Subaru of all companies would recognize that many people don’t want leather surfaces for purely philosophical reasons. I thought the new OB had a version that was largely non-leather?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Wow barney1golf and Flightsim. I am sorry to hear about your allergies, I did know one could be allergic to leather. One would think car part manufactures would have done testing for such things. Is it the gas/vapor or is it physical contact with the leather itself?

Changing gears to the color of seats, the Outback Touring has the nicer of the Nappa leather colors in my opinion. My Legacy's Sierra Tan Nappa leather is orange. I did not realize this until I sat in an Outback and confirmed with a brochure. While the orange color has grown on me, I think I would have preferred the brown color on the Outback or the Ascent.

My wife also brought me an orange shirt so I can be invisible when I sit in my Legacy.

·
Super Moderator
3,043 Posts
The "orange" leather is typical of what new saddle leather looks like. My JGC had an interior nearly identical to Ascent Touring but with the "more orange" saddle leather. While the Java has grown on me a bit, I honestly still prefer the lighter color that I had on the JGC. I would have bought a Limited with Ivory, but I wanted the features that are just not available on the Limited. And Touring had exactly one interior choice. (two now but the black is a show stopper for me on any vehicle, even with a steep discount I wouldn't buy it)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow barney1golf and Flightsim. I am sorry to hear about your allergies, I did know one could be allergic to leather. One would think car part manufactures would have done testing for such things. Is it the gas/vapor or is it physical contact with the leather itself?

Changing gears to the color of seats, the Outback Touring has the nicer of the Nappa leather colors in my opinion. My Legacy's Sierra Tan Nappa leather is orange. I did not realize this until I sat in an Outback and confirmed with a brochure. While the orange color has grown on me, I think I would have preferred the brown color on the Outback or the Ascent.

My wife also brought me an orange shirt so I can be invisible when I sit in my Legacy.
Don't want to hijack the thread but I can tell you what I know about the leather issues.

From what I can tell, it is an issue with the tanning chemicals, the preservatives that keep the leather from decomposing. The chemicals commonly used are: dimethyl fumarate or potassium dichromate. Some people have an issue with them.

For me it's more of an intolerance than an outright "allergy". Too much and I can't handle any leather, either via contact or in proximity via the air. It's all leather too not just in the car. Bigger slabs of leather in enclosed spaces have a worse effect. But it does mean no leather furniture, shoes, belts, wallets, or any scraps or tags.

In terms of options packages in cars, it would be great if you could unbundle some items from the packages -- choose options a la carte. But at least Subaru does allow you to option out the Premium packages in a reasonable fashion. The replacement of the steering wheel and shift knob wasn't too expensive. I'm cross shopping the Ascent with the Passport, and you can only get cloth seats on the base Passport (the Sport). The sucky part of the Passport is that I would have to drop useful safety features like Rear Cross Traffic alert and Blind Spot detection. Those features can't be added after the fact.

Anyway count me as a likely to upgrade from Outback to Ascent. And congrats to barney1golf on his new Ascent!

·
Super Moderator
3,043 Posts
In terms of options packages in cars, it would be great if you could unbundle some items from the packages -- choose options a la carte.
Outside of at the very high end of the auto market, a la carté options went the way of the dodo bird decades ago. Subaru does offer a pretty good setup with the Premium trim across their vehicles which isn't too far off from the Limited that's one step up and comes with the leather at least. Many other manufacturers seriously constrain features on the "cloth seat" bottom end of their lines.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Don't want to hijack the thread but I can tell you what I know about the leather issues.

From what I can tell, it is an issue with the tanning chemicals, the preservatives that keep the leather from decomposing. The chemicals commonly used are: dimethyl fumarate or potassium dichromate. Some people have an issue with them.

For me it's more of an intolerance than an outright "allergy". Too much and I can't handle any leather, either via contact or in proximity via the air. It's all leather too not just in the car. Bigger slabs of leather in enclosed spaces have a worse effect. But it does mean no leather furniture, shoes, belts, wallets, or any scraps or tags.

In terms of options packages in cars, it would be great if you could unbundle some items from the packages -- choose options a la carte. But at least Subaru does allow you to option out the Premium packages in a reasonable fashion. The replacement of the steering wheel and shift knob wasn't too expensive. I'm cross shopping the Ascent with the Passport, and you can only get cloth seats on the base Passport (the Sport). The sucky part of the Passport is that I would have to drop useful safety features like Rear Cross Traffic alert and Blind Spot detection. Those features can't be added after the fact.

Anyway count me as a likely to upgrade from Outback to Ascent. And congrats to barney1golf on his new Ascent!
With sufficient time for out-gassing does it still impact you? Lots of folks have sensitivities to certain carpet, paint and counter top substrates so they must let them out gas before they move in to their home.

·
Registered
3 Posts
With sufficient time for out-gassing does it still impact you? Lots of folks have sensitivities to certain carpet, paint and counter top substrates so they must let them out gas before they move in to their home.
The effect was less with the older leather but it never went away. When I got my Outback in '15, I had a powerful reaction to the new steering wheel and shift knob, worse than the leather seats in my previous 15 year old car. That being said, the old car was still a problem after 15 years. And if you're curious, it was only after getting the Outback that I was able to determine that the leather was the cause of my symptoms. I had mystery symptoms for decades before figuring it out.

Logically I don't think the chemical preservatives are supposed to eventually evaporate from the leather.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
The effect was less with the older leather but it never went away. When I got my Outback in '15, I had a powerful reaction to the new steering wheel and shift knob, worse than the leather seats in my previous 15 year old car. That being said, the old car was still a problem after 15 years. And if you're curious, it was only after getting the Outback that I was able to determine that the leather was the cause of my symptoms. I had mystery symptoms for decades before figuring it out.

Logically I don't think the chemical preservatives are supposed to eventually evaporate from the leather.

61 - 80 of 136 Posts