Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if Subaru has planned a refresh for Ascent in 2022. Pretty sure this will be the fourth year of the Ascent’s initial model run and typically Subaru does a minor refresh in year four. And then they do a major restyle in year 5. The refresh usually includes some minor changes to cladding and offering a couple of new colors. Just wondering if anyone has any insight? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Does anyone know if Subaru has planned a refresh for Ascent in 2022. Pretty sure this will be the fourth year of the Ascent’s initial model run and typically Subaru does a minor refresh in year four. And then they do a major restyle in year 5. The refresh usually includes some minor changes to cladding and offering a couple of new colors. Just wondering if anyone has any insight? Thanks in advance.
I was just researching this topic yesterday and found any details to be very speculative at this point.

read this dribble. they get paid to write nothing. Just one example of many.

New exterior color options and some reshuffling of options among the trim. Wow. True investigative reporting. I wonder who this author's deep throat is?

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link. Would love it if they offered it in some nice moss green type of color like the OB and Forester. Also would like to see a turbo 6 to better compete in its class, however that’s very unlikely. But an XT blackout version would be a nice addition and worth waiting for.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Thanks for the link. Would love it if they offered it in some nice moss green type of color like the OB and Forester. Also would like to see a turbo 6 to better compete in its class, however that’s very unlikely. But an XT blackout version would be a nice addition and worth waiting for.
I doubt very much we will see a 6 cylinder since they have created such a strong 4 cylinder and need to constantly deal with fuel mandates. I keep reading about folks wanting to create a blackout but the manufacturers have tended to shy away from this. I wonder if this blackout preference is too small of a small niche to leverage. Too many color options cost money so colors will change just like clothing styles each year. I suppose they test the colors on consumer groups to determine the trends and combinations. I did read that Subaru will be marketing a more robust "Wilderness" package option. I think this somehow leverages technology to successfully manage rougher terrain in the backcountry. Sort of like X-mode. I have not read what the differences would be. Look how popular the Crosstrek has been and that is more style over function for backcountry.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Here is a side that leaked earlier in the year and most seem to consider this legit.

Note that it lists the BMC (big minor change) or refresh of the Ascent as MY23. I know this does not follow their standard pattern with other cars, but it makes sense considering this is the first generation of the vehicle. That puts a full redesign no earlier than MY25.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Here is a side that leaked earlier in the year and most seem to consider this legit.

Note that it lists the BMC (big minor change) or refresh of the Ascent as MY23. I know this does not follow their standard pattern with other cars, but it makes sense considering this is the first generation of the vehicle. That puts a full redesign no earlier than MY25.
great find! thanks.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The product launch slide looks legit ... guess it’s not surprising that Subaru will plan to get another year or two out of a new model like the Ascent; will help offset the new model’s development costs. Also agree with you about the 3.6 becoming a memory. Happy they will at least give us a choice of a new color or two.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I posted a link to Subaru's of Japan's website in an Ascent vs Outback thread but I thought it might be worth mentioning again.

This came from Subaru of Japan's website and it shows Subaru's CO2 Reduction plan. The center row in the table shows a future Strong Hybrid system coming some time in 202x. Maybe the strong hybrid will be an option for the Ascent. There is also information that shows the Subaru Crosstrek Plug-In Hybrid's AWD system will be go to system for any hybrid plans, not a ICE power up front and electric motor in the back like what Toyota is doing.

誰もがクルマを愉しめる未来を⽬指して – 知能化技術の活⽤で「SUBARU」らしさを極める | 株式会社SUBARU(スバル)
Colorfulness Parallel Games Screenshot Plot

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks for posting, and it's a good read all the way through it.

Kind of a B- per MBA standards, it does give us the general feel of EV progression and target market is what we know (North!)

·
Administrator
11,117 Posts
There will be new technology and improvements that make it into various models outside of their major refresh cycles. I cannot yet discuss what those will be. The screenshot of a photo of a timeline from a presentation given to dealer General Managers is not necessarily accurate or inaccurate, for any given element in it, especially since that presentation was from well before COVID. It is also being used out of context.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Robert,
Your post gives you a ton of wiggle room ... almost anything that happens, or doesn’t happen, can fall inside of your comments. The issue is that many of us Subie loyalists are trying to determine if we should wait for a ‘22 or buy a new ‘20 (still a few left) or ‘21 now. So we are just wishing that Subaru would be just a little more forthright in how they approach customer communications. But, that would be expecting the impossible, as no car company is willing to sacrifice a sale today for a super satisfied customer tomorrow.

·
Administrator
11,117 Posts
If you read carefully, I said a bit more than you may think... 😉

Regardless, sadly, yes, we do have a while to wait for 2022 details to emerge. 😢

What I can confirm is that everything published on the web to date, is nothing more than speculation.

I truly wish I could say more, but I absolutely assure you that the moment I can, I'll be sharing here in this forum.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. You do a great job moderating this forum, and I know there are limits as to what you can/can’t say. We are on #7 in terms of the number Subies we have now, or have owned in our family, so we have grown to love the quirks of Subaru’s brand mgt.

1 Impreza
3 Foresters
2 Outbacks
1 XTrek HB

Btw, Subaru ever makes a Minivan, we will instantly add a few more to our collection!

·
Administrator
11,117 Posts
Very nice collection!! I've seen lots of votes for a minivan or a true truck. I am pretty sure they have as well. It'll be interesting to see if they consider adding another vehicle to their lineup. I do know they'll be quite busy with EVs and hybrids.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Given how long it took Subaru to replace the Tribeca, I am guessing we won’t see another vehicle in the near future. Wishing that the Auto Shows would come back virtually until Covid restriction allow us to return to normal exhibits. This at least would allow the public to see what the auto mfgrs are planning. The public could also interact remotely with reps for Q&A.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Thanks. You do a great job moderating this forum, and I know there are limits as to what you can/can’t say. We are on #7 in terms of the number Subies we have now, or have owned in our family, so we have grown to love the quirks of Subaru’s brand mgt.

1 Impreza
3 Foresters
2 Outbacks
1 XTrek HB

Btw, Subaru ever makes a Minivan, we will instantly add a few more to our collection!
Very nice collection!! I've seen lots of votes for a minivan or a true truck. I am pretty sure they have as well. It'll be interesting to see if they consider adding another vehicle to their lineup. I do know they'll be quite busy with EVs and hybrids.
Note the following is all my personal speculation:

I agree that it seems EVs and Hybrids will be their focus in the short term. I think the next thing after that we might see is an Ascent based mid-sized pickup (like Honda does with the Pilot/Ridgeline). I'm guessing they will release it with or a year after the Gen 2 Ascent redesign. So that would put us somewhere around MY25 - MY27. As for a minivan, who knows. I think there is a lot of value in it, but who knows if it will ever happen. Got to imagine that with the size they are currently at they will just say "buy an Ascent". With how much Toyota and Subaru are blending in ownership/collaboration I can even see them trying not to cross compete too much which may prevent Subaru from developing a minivan.

·
Registered
196 Posts
There will be new technology and improvements that make it into various models outside of their major refresh cycles. I cannot yet discuss what those will be. The screenshot of a photo of a timeline from a presentation given to dealer General Managers is not necessarily accurate or inaccurate, for any given element in it, especially since that presentation was from well before COVID. It is also being used out of context.
So much is happening so fast right now and I only expect it to increase in speed. It just makes sense that many of the newer features would roll out to vehicles faster. I'm still looking at the photos of the 2022 Forester and Outback and trying to figure out if they have the new LED Array Headlights that the 2021 Levorg has. Also really hoping Eyesight X brings about street sign reading so on dash Speed limits can be based on real world rather than map data (like Toyota vehicles currently do). Finally, I really hope that Eyesight X is being setup to get upgrades with future features in the same way Tesla does. I don't expect it and I would bet against it, but a man can dream right? I want hands free highway cruise.

Also, are you saying I used the slide out of context or that it has been used out of context on the internet? Care to elaborate in what you mean?

·
Administrator
11,117 Posts
Many wants on your list coincide with ones on mine. :)

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
If you read carefully, I said a bit more than you may think... 😉

Regardless, sadly, yes, we do have a while to wait for 2022 details to emerge. 😢

What I can confirm is that everything published on the web to date, is nothing more than speculation.

I truly wish I could say more, but I absolutely assure you that the moment I can, I'll be sharing here in this forum.
"Sherlock: I never did ask, Dr. Franklyn. What is it exactly that you do here?

Doctor: Oh, Mr. Holmes, I would love to tell you, but then, of course, I'd have to kill you.
Sherlock: That would be tremendously ambitious of you."

1 - 20 of 137 Posts