Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Redarc Tow Pro Elite

5K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Firebug85 
#1 ·
Quick question.....

for the Ascent, does the Redarc Tow Pro Elite need the Tekonsha wiring adapter to work if you have the Subaru installed Tow Hitch?

#2 ·
No. Also, if you can solder together four wires, you do not need the car specific version and can save a few bucks.

#4 ·
Really easy. There's some pics in the forum showing what to do.

#9 ·
I've looked and can't find any pictures of the correct splicing for the Subaru pigtail to the redarc pigtail. I used butt connectors and followed the colors, but when I connected to the trailer the controller led either stays green (manual mode) and won't let me change to the progressive mode (blue). It then begins to flash red. While it is green it functions fine other than I can't change modes. I am able to press the dial fully to the stop as far as I know. Brakes function for emergency mode (pushing) as well.

I'm not sure what the cause is. I'm thinking of purchasing the plug and play adapter to rule out my bad splicing technique or having the wires hooked up wrong. But does someone have some pics of doing this splice job? I am pretty clueless when it comes to wiring and electronics.

Thanks in advance, anything is helpful.

#8 ·
Don't assume that a Toyota harness will work with the Ascent. As the vendor if they have a Subaru Ascent equivalent. If not, it's not difficult to use the pigtail that came with your Ascent's hitch receiver kit to assemble your own harness with the one that comes with the controller...it's simple color matching and some crimp connectors unless you really want to dig out the solder iron.

Reactions: Fish and wlpendley
#11 ·
Here how I setup my Redarc controller knob. Created a 3D model and my nephew printed it for me on his 3D resin printer. Fits great and will paint it black to match. May move it to the far left position so it’s even easier to see and access. I wasn’t a fan of drilling holes in our new car. This way looks almost factory. I’m trying to figure out what’s the best location to mount the little black box. It’s current location works but not ideal.

Car Vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car Motor vehicle

#12 ·
Here how I setup my Redarc controller knob. Created a 3D model and my nephew printed it for me on his 3D resin printer. Fits great and will paint it black to match. May move it to the far left position so it’s even easier to see and access. I wasn’t a fan of drilling holes in our new car. This way looks almost factory. I’m trying to figure out what’s the best location to mount the little black box. It’s current location works but not ideal.

View attachment 14313
I ziptied the box to the metal brace holding the dash board in the same area as the control knob. If I recall correctly it's up a bit and over to the door side. I haven't had any issues with it functioning.

#19 ·