Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,985 Posts
As a prospective buyer of the Ascent (very likely at this point), I'd love the option to be able to not have a roof rack. I've never used one over all the vehicles that have had it and would prefer a cleaner top for both visual and air-flow reasons. I wished the same for both of our outbacks as well as my JGC; the latter at least has really low profile rails.

I'm also not keen on the third row as I really don't need it, but at least it folds away. I do want the space, however!

I'd like a light interior option for the Touring Edition...dark interior colors are not my cup of tea. Alternatively, if the Limited had ventilated seats available--a feature I like and use with my current vehicle, then it would be a no brainer to go Limited rather than Touring.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Premium should have a better functions for front passenger seat (more adaptive controls) slightly uncomfortable.
And I would want more lighting options in the rear.
Seat saves according to key fob.
Car Profiles- according to the key fob/ phone that hooks up to the car.
Personally, I could do without so many cup holders and replace them with other kind of holder.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here's a suggestion list for Subaru to improve the Ascent. Feel free to add to the list.

• KEY FOB - For keyless systems, program setting to automatically AUTOLOCK when FOB is out of range.
  • For keyless systems, program setting to automatically shut off car if not in range (if driver forgets to shut off car).
  • RADIO - There are 18 presets (3 banks of 6 presets) built in to the radio. Add a programmable choice in SETUP for more banks, such as 36 presets (6 banks of 6 presets). In SETUP, make the number of active banks user programmable. For Sirius users, there are hundreds of stations available. We need more presets.
  • Add variable relative volume adjustments between AM, FM, Sirius Radio and Aux. Currently, if FM is set to a comfortable volume, AM comes in at about 60% of that volume and Sirius comes blasting through at about 200% volume. It's a shockingly unbalanced and frightening event.
  • LOCK/UNLOCK BUTTONS - are not illuminated on the door armrest, unlike all of the other controls. Almost impossible to use in the dark. Illuminate them!
  • POWER SEAT ADJUSTMENT - would be nicer if it could be an inch or so higher.
  • TELESCOPING STEERING WHEEL - would be nicer if it came forward a few inches more.
  • CUP HOLDERS - There are 19 cupholders that are great for kid's tippie cups, but are unusable for a larger water bottle, mug, Yeti, or oversized coffee cups...essentially anything other than a standard water bottle, soda can or tippie cup. Some companies have square bottles or larger bases to their bottles that do not fit. There is plenty of room in the doors and consoles for the bigger bottles, except for the molded pieces to define the edges of the cupholders. Why not have a large open space where the cupholders go and have several different inserts that are specific for larger containers? The smaller fixed cupholders renders most of them unusable in many instances.
  • CONSOLE ARMREST - Unlike the second row Captain's Chairs, there are no armrests on the front seats. The center console cover doubles as an armrest. In my previous vehicles, an armrest allowed me to easily hold the steering wheel on long trips without having to physically elevate my arms to grasp the wheel. (That gets tired over many hours.) The center console cover is too low to comfortably reach the steering wheel, which doesn't telescope out far enough. By having the open end of the center console cover elevated by 3-5", it is at the precise height to easily and effortlessly hold the steering wheel for hours on end. I put a 4" spacer between the cover and the console base latch and it works quite nicely. A built-in console cover height adjuster would be even better.
  • "CARWASH" BUTTON - that disables all of the safety features in one step for 5 -10 minutes.
  • WIRELESS PHONE CHARGING in phone well.
  • RETRACTABLE HOOK under passenger dash area on the right wall of the front console, next to the passenger's left leg. Firmly attached, it could hold a plastic bag of Chinese food from tipping over while driving or could anchor a waste bag.
  • FRONT and REAR CAMERAS - Could they be recorded on a continuous loop for 30 minutes? 1 hour? An integrated dashcam option would be great. The Touring already has 2 built-in rear-facing cameras. Why not have the ability to record even one of them?
  • TAILGATE LIGHT - Install that bright tailgate light (seen on other posts here) in the opening already there. Or make the rear light twice as bright. It really is dark back there.
  • SIDE MIRRORS - Include their adjustments in the preset profiles used for seats.
  • PLUSH CARPET OPTION - the available carpets are more like basic industrial mats. Why not have an over-the-top, plush luxury carpet available to go over the stock flooring? Perhaps an aftermarket company like WeatherTech, which already has laser measured dimensions for the floors, will have to offer one.
Great list! I would add Power Retractable Side Mirrors!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here's a suggestion list for Subaru to improve the Ascent. Feel free to add to the list.

• KEY FOB - For keyless systems, program setting to automatically AUTOLOCK when FOB is out of range.
  • For keyless systems, program setting to automatically shut off car if not in range (if driver forgets to shut off car).
  • RADIO - There are 18 presets (3 banks of 6 presets) built in to the radio. Add a programmable choice in SETUP for more banks, such as 36 presets (6 banks of 6 presets). In SETUP, make the number of active banks user programmable. For Sirius users, there are hundreds of stations available. We need more presets.
  • Add variable relative volume adjustments between AM, FM, Sirius Radio and Aux. Currently, if FM is set to a comfortable volume, AM comes in at about 60% of that volume and Sirius comes blasting through at about 200% volume. It's a shockingly unbalanced and frightening event.
  • LOCK/UNLOCK BUTTONS - are not illuminated on the door armrest, unlike all of the other controls. Almost impossible to use in the dark. Illuminate them!
  • TELESCOPING STEERING WHEEL - would be nicer if it came forward a few inches more.
  • CUP HOLDERS - There are 19 cupholders that are great for kid's tippie cups, but are unusable for a larger water bottle, mug, Yeti, or oversized coffee cups...essentially anything other than a standard water bottle, soda can or tippie cup. Some companies have square bottles or larger bases to their bottles that do not fit. There is plenty of room in the doors and consoles for the bigger bottles, except for the molded pieces to define the edges of the cupholders. Why not have a large open space where the cupholders go and have several different inserts that are specific for larger containers? The smaller fixed cupholders renders most of them unusable in many instances.
  • CONSOLE ARMREST - Unlike the second row Captain's Chairs, there are no armrests on the front seats. The center console cover doubles as an armrest. In my previous vehicles, an armrest allowed me to easily hold the steering wheel on long trips without having to physically elevate my arms to grasp the wheel. (That gets tired over many hours.) The center console cover is too low to comfortably reach the steering wheel, which doesn't telescope out far enough. By having the open end of the center console cover elevated by 3-5", it is at the precise height to easily and effortlessly hold the steering wheel for hours on end. I put a 4" spacer between the cover and the console base latch and it works quite nicely. A built-in console cover height adjuster would be even better.
  • "CARWASH" BUTTON - that disables all of the safety features in one step for 5 -10 minutes.
  • RETRACTABLE HOOK under passenger dash area on the right wall of the front console, next to the passenger's left leg. Firmly attached, it could hold a plastic bag of Chinese food from tipping over while driving or could anchor a waste bag.
  • FRONT and REAR CAMERAS - Could they be recorded on a continuous loop for 30 minutes? 1 hour? An integrated dashcam option would be great. The Touring already has 2 built-in rear-facing cameras. Why not have the ability to record even one of them?
  • TAILGATE LIGHT - Install that bright tailgate light (seen on other posts here) in the opening already there. Or make the rear light twice as bright. It really is dark back there.
  • SIDE MIRRORS - Include their adjustments in the preset profiles used for seats.
  • PLUSH CARPET OPTION - the available carpets are more like basic industrial mats. Why not have an over-the-top, plush luxury carpet available to go over the stock flooring? Perhaps an aftermarket company like WeatherTech, which already has laser measured dimensions for the floors, will have to offer one.
I do not like the decision made by Subaru, that the radio turns on every time you start the car. Especially while backing up and the radio start up is delayed. I find it distracting when I do not need a distraction. On/Off switches were designed for a purpose. Although I like my vehicle (except for the fact its been in service for 15 days waiting for a steering rack), this feature will be a deal beaker for me on future purchases.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I do not like the decision made by Subaru, that the radio turns on every time you start the car. Especially while backing up and the radio start up is delayed. I find it distracting when I do not need a distraction. On/Off switches were designed for a purpose. Although I like my vehicle (except for the fact its been in service for 15 days waiting for a steering rack), this feature will be a deal beaker for me on future purchases.
This feebleture drives be crazy and can be highly distracting and even dangerous as it can startle the driver during critical maneuvers. If I could change just one thing about the Ascent, it would be this. It infuriates me every time it happens. It's a perfect example of poor system development and is inexcusable.

·
Registered
89 Posts
For details see https://www.ascentforums.com/threads/radio-wont-stay-off.4607/

But in summary if you have a "simple case" of just radio on, then by clicking the radio power button, you are only "muting" which means when you start the car on the next time, the radio will play. But by holding the radio power button for about 3 seconds it turns "off" and then the radio won't start playing again when you start on your car.

·
Super Moderator
7,403 Posts
EVERYONE:
Please remember to write Subaru of America with your suggestions (as well as about ones made by others that you want to see happen).

They're pretty responsive in adding things to their designs (doesn't happen overnight, but may make a mid model refresh or the next generation), but only when people let them know.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
For details see https://www.ascentforums.com/threads/radio-wont-stay-off.4607/

But in summary if you have a "simple case" of just radio on, then by clicking the radio power button, you are only "muting" which means when you start the car on the next time, the radio will play. But by holding the radio power button for about 3 seconds it turns "off" and then the radio won't start playing again when you start on your car.
True, but no one wants to turn the entire infotainment system off simply to stop the radio or any other audio source from playing. That's total overkill.

The way it should always work is simply to remember the last user setting and return to that setting. This includes the audio volume mute, the pause, and the audio source, all of which it often changes all on its own, which is absurd and unwanted.

It should never do anything unexpected, unintentional, and especially anything that could startle or distract the driver. If a user mutes or stops any audio source, it should stay that way until the user intentionally activates it again. It should never start blasting music unexpectedly when a driver is potentially making a critical driving maneuver. This could be very dangerous. This happens to me a lot.

I detest the infotainment system's software and it degrades my enjoyment of the Ascent.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Parking sensors for the front. Cant believe they didnt add them for such a big car, especially for people that need to parallel park. It's even usefully for turning into a spot

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Parking sensors for the front. Cant believe they didnt add them for such a big car, especially for people that need to parallel park. It's even usefully for turning into a spot
They accommodate this with the front camera, but that's only available on Touring.

·
Registered
52 Posts
They accommodate this with the front camera, but that's only available on Touring.
I actually find the camera to be more of a distraction when parking, it's an extra thing I need to take my eyes off of. With sensors, you know how much space you have left with the beeps. Seems like something they could have easily remedied with a few dollars worth of sensors

·
Registered
11 Posts

auto folding mirrors it's a must have for every car. Why subaru in europe includes that feature and not subaru usa?

·
Registered
888 Posts
auto folding mirrors it's a must have for every car. Why subaru in europe includes that feature and not subaru usa?
The reasons may be twofold. First, I belive Subaru is a slightly higher end brand in other parts of the world. I think they're priced accordingly as well. Second is that Europe has tiny streets and parking situations. The USA has relatively wide open spaces. I would love power folding mirrors myself - mainly for my garage and also it is simply pretty cool.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Interesting to see this thread resurrected. My personal opinion is that the 2 big items are:
1. Being able to open the rear hatch as long as you'd like without draining the battery. (Yes, I know that folks have come up with some creative ways around this, but why can't it just be so?)
2. Side-mirror memory in concert with the seat position.

I'd also very much like the ability to activate the rear camera with a single button press instead of having to go the "hidden" menu.

·
Registered
511 Posts
It would be nice to have mirrors that tilt in reverse and adjusted with the seats. I do like power-folding mirrors, but I can live without them (I have a 19 touring). Surround cameras would be nice for a company so focused on safety.

I'm not sure why it's so hard to not have the battery drain with the hatch open. As soon as you turn the car off the USB and pretty much everything else goes off (the sunroof is non-functional the instant you turn the car off, and the windows go off unless you set the windows for the 5 minute delay). I don't know why Subaru couldn't deactivate that juice to the rear hatch after 5/10/15 minutes. Considering the perceived lifestyle, at least the way they advertise their cars, you would think they would have jumped on this specific issue.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
It would be nice to have mirrors that tilt in reverse
....as long as it can be disabled. :) I loath that feature and have never found it useful at all. I absolutely do wish for the mirrors adjustment to be in memory so that changing from driver number one (me) to driver number two (daughter or spouse) doesn't totally screw up how I have my mirrors very carefully adjusted to the way I prefer them. My daughter likes to look at the sides of the vehicle for some reason and my spouse's setting is more like mine, but she's a foot and a half shorter than me...

·
Registered
8 Posts
EVERYONE:
Please remember to write Subaru of America with your suggestions (as well as about ones made by others that you want to see happen).

They're pretty responsive in adding things to their designs (doesn't happen overnight, but may make a mid model refresh or the next generation), but only when people let them know.
May I have an email address?

21 - 40 of 44 Posts