Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I as many others have a 2 year old car 15k miles and tires that are about 3/32 so I will be needing new ones soon. I know stock tires with all cars are bottom of the barrel and wear out way to quick. I want to know what people of bought as replacement tires and how they have held up. Warranties aren't what they used to be so checking on real life experience with tires to get new ones. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
214 Posts
Tons of threads here to give you some good ideas on what your Subie’s next set of kicks should be. Issues to consider include:
-Driving style and plans (do you spend all of your time on the highway, or do you do a significant amount of off/soft roaring?)
-Geographic (snow, rain, etc)
-Budget (remember that you usually get what you pay for, but sometimes you pay for a name and that’s all you get)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Michelin crossclimate 2
Smooth quiet best all season on the market
So impressed w the ride and handling
Will put on my daughters foresters when they need tires

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tons of threads here to give you some good ideas on what your Subie’s next set of kicks should be. Issues to consider include:
-Driving style and plans (do you spend all of your time on the highway, or do you do a significant amount of off/soft roaring?)
-Budget (remember that you usually get what you pay for, but sometimes you pay for a name and that’s all you get)
We live in a snow area. Most miles are commuting 11 miles to and from work half at 30 mph half at 55 mph. I care about tires that will not wear out in 15k miles unless I am paying less then 50 bucks a tire for them. (not going to pay 200 a tire if they are shot in 30k either)

·
Registered
15 Posts
One of the stock Falkens on my 2019 Ascent had a massive sidewall failure at 16,000 miles. I replaced all four Falkens with a set of Goodyear Assurance Weather Ready tires. Much better tire, quieter, better ride quality, better cornering.

I chose this tire in part because I had a set installed on my wife’s car two years ago and they have been flawless.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,857 Posts
The more I read and view about the Michelin Cross Climate 2, the more I appreciate their design. It's very innovative and probably the best all weather tire on the market presently. While I don't need tires and do not anticipate needing them for a long time, if I did, the Cross Climate II would be one of those at the top of the consideration list.

Reactions: Robson13

·
Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
214 Posts
We live in a snow area. Most miles are commuting 11 miles to and from work half at 30 mph half at 55 mph. I care about tires that will not wear out in 15k miles unless I am paying less then 50 bucks a tire for them. (not going to pay 200 a tire if they are shot in 30k either)
For some reason, the full reply I typed up didn't post, which is odd, but whatever.

For the various driving styles/wants, this forum has come up with a few favorites for the Ascent:
A/T - Falken Wildpeak A/T (what I have) or Toyo Open Country A/T (but there are dozens more options)
Highway all weather - Michelin Cross Climate 2 or Goodyear Weatherready
Dedicated snow - Nokian Hakkepelita or pretty much any other snow tire (I have Continental Viking Contacts which I like but only have because they came on the 18" wheels I bought, I wasn't looking for the tires...not sure they'll even get mounted this year)

My experience with Pirelli and Continental tires on other vehicles in the past sparked my budget comment. They stick like glue but have the durability of scotch tape.

If you have one near you, it is definitely worth reaching out to @Discount Tire here on the forum for some options and probably a discount.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent Limited
15 Posts
I as many others have a 2 year old car 15k miles and tires that are about 3/32 so I will be needing new ones soon. I know stock tires with all cars are bottom of the barrel and wear out way to quick. I want to know what people of bought as replacement tires and how they have held up. Warranties aren't what they used to be so checking on real life experience with tires to get new ones. Thanks.
I have a little over 13,000 miles on a set of Continental Cross Contact tires after only 24,000 miles on those Falken Ziex’s the 2020 Ascent Limited came with. So far…so good. At last check tread depth was ~ 6-7/32”. I paid < $200/wheel for the Continental’s. Living in New England and having a long/steep driveway haven’t posed any problems.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,857 Posts
6-7/32 at 13K miles is a lot of wear, IMHO, Bob.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent Limited
15 Posts
6-7/32 at 13K miles is a lot of wear, IMHO, Bob.
Agreed…At this rate I should get ~ 30K on this set. 20% better than the Falkens. If I keep this SUV, I’ll try the Michelins. Had an alignment at the dealership last week due to “twitchy steering” issue noted elsewhere in this forum. Hopefully wear rate will lessen going forward.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
1 Posts
We got our 2019 just over three weeks ago (hey, everybody). Replaced the assumed original Falkens with Crossclimate2s yesterday -- Costco has them on sale so they only seem stupid expensive instead of ridiculously expensive. But given everything I'd read and watched about the tire -- including on here -- made it the obvious choice for me here in the Midwest. And it should be swapping out for snow tires like I did for the past 12 years on our now-departed (and not missed) Odyssey.

·
Registered
113 Posts
for tire wear (boy I'm glad i got the michelin CC2

The two top rated tires from Michelin (the Defender T+H all-season tire and CrossClimate2 all-weather tire in the performance all-season category) projected out to 85,000 miles of tread life in CR’s test.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts